Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Skeggy - The Aftermath

Re: Skeggy - The Aftermath

Missed You Too!
    Missed you too Lory – will need to wait ‘til June for my next Lory Leg-Clamp!

Journey
    To be honest thought the trip to and from Glasgow was going to be one of biggest drawbacks for me. As it turned out, had a really good trip down – many thanks to Battle Cat for the lift / doing all the driving and to her & Princess Fi for the sparkling chat that made the journey pass so quickly. Around 6 hrs 20 mins, I think, with about a half-hour stop.

Shared the drive back up with LemonCake, each taking a turn to snooze when not driving. Again, could have been a lot worse.

Accommodation
    I haven’t been to many different weekenders to compare with – every Southport for the last 4 years or so and both Blazes. And my primary concern on a weekender is not the accommodation – it’s just somewhere to doss and shower. That said, I was very impressed with our Silver self-catering chalet: clean, warm, lots of hot water with decent water pressure, everything worked, and plenty of space – 4 of us sharing a double & 2 singles. No carbonized oven, no sticky carpets. All good.

The chalet was a decent trek from the dance areas – around 10 mins. On occasion, if we’d thought there’d have been a parking space available close to the dance areas we would have driven. Lazy, or what?! So not a close as we’re used to nor would perhaps have liked but definitely manageable.

Venues
    General
    Spent nearly all of my time in Jaks (Blues Lounge), with just a couple of brief stints in Reds (Main Room) – just before showcases on the Sat and again around 12-12.30 on Sun – and the Waltz class in Arthur’s (Latin Room) on Sunday eve.

All 3 venues were pretty close together – Reds & Arthur’s both less than 100 meters from the front door of Jaks. Sure you had to go outside to switch between them, but overshoes were provided and we were lucky with the weather – it was bone dry all weekend.

Jaks
    Found the floor in Jaks on Fri night to be overly fast. Heard some people say that talcum powder had been put on the floor sometime on Friday. Was not convinced though – felt more like sand or something. However, the floor improved as the weekend progressed and come Sat eve thought it was spot on. Seemed to me though that from in line with the first set of steps after you came in he door, that the floor seemed to slope downwards slightly towards he door. Physically this shouldn’t have made much odds but psychologically it messed with my head – consequently tended to avoid the portion of the floor closest to the door all weekend.

I thought there was a good amount of floorspace in Jaks, boosted even more by the clearance of tables & chairs from some of the raised area later in the weekend. As I’m a particularly sweaty beast even at the best of times, I was very impressed by how cool Jaks was, on average, compared to the Southport Blues Room. Think this is helped by the higher ceiling height and more effective air con. – with the very cool outside air temperature giving the air con even more help. This meant I actually had several clean shirts & towels left by Monday morning – a rarity indeed! Hopefully the air con will still do not too bad a job in June when the outside air temp will (most likely) be higher.

Availed myself of the bar facilities on a number of occasions and found the service to be fairly quick & friendly and the prices very reasonable - £2.75 for a pint of Tetley.

Restaurants & Other Facilities
    Didn’t make use of any of the additional facilities on this occasion – didn’t get around to using the Spa but hope to do so in June.

Music
    First of all let my start by making something very clear – I don’t know very much about music: not who writes it, who performs it, definitions of genres, nor even do I pay a great deal of attention to who plays it (i.e. who the DJ is!). (Doh! - Maybe this is where I'm going wrong!) I have a very simple approach – I listen to it, and unless I hate it, and I can find a partner, I’ll dance to it. That said, I’m not a great fan of much of the Latin type stuff so didn’t spend much time in Arthur’s, and can get ‘mainstream’ jive at local classes and freestyles – but what I can’t get locally and what I’m really looking for in a weekender is stuff that is typically slower, has a range of tempos within the same track, lyrical and musical breaks, and a variety of clearly distinguishable instruments that can be followed for a variation from / against the backdrop of the main timing beat. I guess a lot of blues stuff fits some or all of these criteria, and much other stuff besides.

I have been to all but the first one (or 2?) Jive Addiction events at Southport and spent most of my time at most of them in the Blues Room and had some fantastic weekends. Over the last couple of years though I feel that the music that I have previously enjoyed and continue to look for has been played less and less in the Blues Room / Jaks. In its place there has been an increase in what I associate with WCS-style tracks. These tracks often have a very prominent snare drum bumping out a very mid-tempo beat and sounding very much what I equate to the dance version of elevator music. For me, a complete turn off. Now I’m not saying that these are WCS type tracks – I’m just saying that they’re the type of tracks I associate with WCS. Maybe WCS is a complete red-herring but the incidence of these tracks seems to have increased in line with the ascendancy of WCS in the UK over he last few years. Yep - you’ve probably guessed by now that I don’t do WCS myself (hell, I barely do jive!). But I do like watching WCS being danced, and I’ve no axe to grind with any ‘westies’. If sufficient ‘crossover’ tracks can be found to simultaneous cater for what both the westies and the more traditional Southport Blues Room dancer wants to hear (as indicated on this thread by FoxyFunkster, I think) then so much the better – let’s share the same music and the same dance space and have a better atmosphere for it. But if we can’t, then perhaps discrete slots in the same room or different rooms is the way to go. Maybe it’s a case of the DJ’s trying to please everyone, ending-up being too ‘middle of the road’ and not pleasing anyone? I don’t know what the problem is, and without knowing that I don’t what the solution is. But what I do know is, from my perspective at least, there is a problem. Respect to Wes for putting the proposal to the floor in Jaks and responding to the noise and dedicating a slot in Arthur’s to WCS, leaving Jaks for more ‘mainstream bluesy-type stuff’ (if such a genre exists!). I made a point of being in Jaks during this period and enjoyed the music much more than I generally had on the Fri eve.

Cabarets
    I don’t do tango and therefore haven’t learned to appreciate it properly. From your uneducated gawking punter’s perspective (i.e. mine) just looking at the spectacle was singularly unimpressed with the tango showcases. Maybe I have been spoiled by seeing Vincent & Flavia at Southport a couple of years back? Thought Kyle & Sarah’s showcase was great though – cheeky & informal freestyle to get the audience onboard before coming back out for the fantastic choreographed routine.

and finally ... compared to the previous JA Southport's, how does it rate, as an overall experience???
    Before this weekend, wasn’t sure if I’d be coming to another Skeggie– mainly put off by the extra traveling time from Glasgow. All in, I enjoyed the weekend again. Travelling wasn’t as bad as I thought. Personally, I’d like to see the music a bit more sorted though and have booked for June to see what happens…..
    Last edited by PretzelMeister; 17th-February-2009 at 01:41 AM. Reason: corrected tired typo

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Cynicism and suspicion do not justify misrepresentation. "only got" is not the same as could "only" get
    Sorry didn't mean to misrepresent - I can only plead weekender fatigue.

Have had a chance to go back to original quote though so thanks for the clarification as it would appear that was "women in their 60's" (my quote marks)

I don’t post very often as I rarely have strong feelings one way or another about an event, but Skegness was a major disappointment for me, and having not been to bed before 3am for 3 nights I can’t sleep!

The journey was a nightmare, and took a lot longer than my Journey Planner stated.

Our apartment was a breath of fresh air when compared with Pontins, but this pleasant surprise was short-lived when we realized there was a 15 minute walk to the dance venues.

Overall assessment:

The Good
    • Kyle & Sarah’s workshop and cabaret
    • The accommodation
    • The restaurants
    • The on-site Gastro styled pub

The Bad
    • The distance between apartments and venues.
    • Apart from Zebrawoman’s set I didn’t enjoy one set all weekend – far too experimental. The music in Reds wasn’t just bad; it was repetitive at best and undanceable at worst.
    • The sound system in Jaks sounded like it was under-water.
    • Overall layout of centre too big and spread out.
    • The hot air blowing in Reds despite everyone complaining about it.
    • Being forced to say Hi-De-Hi during the cabarets.

The Ugly
    • The Journey
    • The Tango workshop
    • Non-Exclusive use of the facilities – being sworn at by two drunken teenagers at 2am whilst walking back to my apartment.
    • Watching a husband and wife having a big row in front of an audience including their kids.
    • Not being able to freestyle in the main room until after midnight. Unlike ‘Jan from Nottingham’, I find nothing fun about queuing to dance when I paid to be dancing.
    • The flooring in all rooms – ‘Reds’ - uneven and generally not nice to dance on. ‘Jaks’, it wasn’t really a dance floor just floor boards directly over what I suspect is a concrete floor so my knees really ached after 2 hours.
    • Learning that the regular guests had paid about £55 per head for their weekend break in a Silver Self catering apartment. I can’t imagine how much money is being made at a dance weekender, but I resent paying almost 3 times the ‘public’ rate and actually having no interest in using most of the facilities. I appreciate that there is a premium to pay for the teachers and DJs, but this seems excessive. If organizers want us to attend three events a year, then they need to be priced sensibly. Surely if you are taking a 1000 people to a Centre you can negotiate a huge discount.

In summary, my friends and I have come to the conclusion that the success of Southport actually had very little to do with Wes and John, but more accurately the layout and facilities of the dance venues at Southport. ‘Jive Addiction’ had an edge when very few others were bringing over US stars, but that’s all changed. I therefore fail to see what differentiates now any of the weekenders other than the location/venues.

From what I could sense there was no buzz about Skegness, and yes there were ‘teething problems’ (some of which were avoidable in my opinion), but tweaking a few things here and there doesn’t change the fact that we don’t have sole use of the centre and therefore can’t have the main dance venue when we like, and the layout of the site will never re-create the intimacy of Southport.

I am not particularly brand loyal, I don’t really care who puts on a weekender – I just want to have a good time, and by and large providing you get the basics right the people make a weekender a success or not. For me, the people were there, but the layout, shared use, queuing and not one proper dance floor in the whole place for me isn’t providing the basics.

Simon Selman embarrassed John when he asked everyone if they were coming back in June and only two people put their hands up in a crowded room – to then say to John “Well at least 2 people are coming back” I thought was a bit cruel and cringe worthy, but pretty much says it all.

Will I be going back? Only if Cerocport is an unmitigated disaster.

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Since I seem to have become partly nocturnal, now is as good a time as any to add my feedback.

Travel time: I came the long way from Glasgow with various stops en route, so didn't immediately notice the hike in journey time (from under 4 hours to about 6). On the return journey I shared the driving/snoozing with PretzelMeister, so it was manageable. I would like to stop at places on the way back to break it up a bit and see something of the country in between, but the only previous attempt to do this resulted in us falling asleep in the orchard of a National Trust property out of sheer post-SP exhaustion.

Accomodation: Clean, comfortable, well-equipped. Having become accustomed to packing a skeleton kitchen kit (everything but the kitchen sink) for Southport to make up for Pontins dismal provision, I was delighted to arrive at a warm, clean chalet with full sets of crockery, cutlery & pans - even wine glasses!

Distance to venues: 8 minutes medium-brisk walk, which was rather bracing on Friday/Saturday. Not the end of the world, although it might be more of a problem in wet weather.

Distance between venues: not nearly as much of a problem as I expected. Blue overshoes a very sensible solution, although they did seem to disappear by Sunday (I had carefully kept my pair for reuse - they only lasted 3/4 outings before wearing to holes and losing their usefulness, but this could be remedied with stronger versions or a few more). Jacket required to brave the temperatures.

Venues: I didn't dance in Arthurs other than for the Waltz class (a bit of pre-wedding practice!) so can't comment beyond that, although it seemed ok.

Jaks was ideal blues-room space - just need to knock a patio door into the side for June! Noticed the sign about talc on Saturday - didn't feel like talc I was brushing off my shoes, it was gritty and sandy. I heard that Jaks closed for cleaning for a spell each morning- if so, they didn't do much to get rid of the sandy floor.

Reds - fab venue, although I didn't spend much time here.

Music volume: Both Jaks and Reds had problems with volume during the times I was there. At one point in Reds as my chalet mates and I were standing with fingers in ears to avoid the sheer blistering discomfort I did go and suggest to the DJ it was too loud (Roger Chin, I think) - who was immediately helpful in correcting it. I noticed that the volume at the DJ desk is in no way representative of that out on the dancefloor, especially directly in the (quite wide) path of the speakers. I do appreciate that it's a dance venue, but it's generally nice to be able to hear when someone asks you to dance without them having to holler 6in from your (already blasted) ear.

Music: For me, the biggest factor in judging whether to come to Skegness again. I feel quite strongly about the circumstances that forced the move to Skegness, and was therefore willing to give JA many benefits of the doubt that I wouldn't accord to other events. Increases in travel time, cost, distance from chalet to venue - all can be forgiven to keep the magic mix of fab music and wide range of dancers from all over, which are the two main reasons that we and many others in the Scottish contingent loved going to SP. (It may have started as geography, but JA made it more than that). I can get regular main-room music elsewhere, but it's harder to find the ecclectic mix of tastes, the variation, the introduction to so much new (to me) music (even if I don't always like it) and top-notch dancers to bring the tracks alive with memorable, haunting, looked-forward-to-for-months dances.

I freely admit to very limited knowledge of music - I can't name genres, titles or artists in most cases, and this makes it very hard for me to feel confident going to any DJ to ask for anything. It's tricky when you know they'll ask what you want and all you have to say is 'not bland, please'. However Friday and Saturday nights in Jaks were making me seriously doubt that the magic of JA had survived the cross-country move. It felt as though every DJ was trying to out-cool the last, with the result that it was all incredibly samey and bland, and while it was entertaining to watch WCS danced to it for one or two tracks, it palled very quickly and was also no fun at all to jive/blues to it. I spent less time on the dance floor than any SP, and in the time spent chatting to favourite dancers who were also not dancing as much, kept hearing the same comment - the music was too WCS-biased. For the purposes of this narrative, that meant less good for the rest of us to jive/blues to, as we all know WCS can be danced to more than one musical style (and I do love to see it done!).

In the early hours of Sunday, having heard sufficient grumbling other than my own to feel reassured that it wasn't just my fussy-madam tastes not liking the music, I figured it was better to light a candle than curse the darkness. So I plucked up courage to approach the DJ at the change of sets, and tried to politely express that there was a reasonably general feeling amongst the audience that too much of one style of music was gaining precedence,and could the coming tracks perhaps have a change in empahsis? The incoming DJ basically told me that that was the last DJ's choice and I should listen to his set and see if I liked it any better. I felt patronised and dismissed - the message I received was that he was going to play what he had planned, regardless of what the mood of the listeners might be, not adapt anything to fit a general request.

Some time later, Dance Demon's set made waiting worthwhile, and kindled a little ember of what the blues-room spark had once been. Westies could WCS to it, the rest of us could blues/jive to it, everyone seemed happy! Thank you

Spent Sunday thinking that I had little desire to sign up for more of the same in June, and not really keen to get back to the dancing. Arrived in Jaks just in time to hear Wes' straw poll for a separate WCS slot (no pun intended) to allow a pure blues session late Sunday/early Monday. Thank heavens I did, as I might otherwise have given up totally and missed the best bit. As it was, I arrived specifically for it, and had the most fantastic last 4+ hours of dancing, which made up for all the rest. BlueShoes' set was fantastic, as were the ones that followed - which doesn't mean I loved every track but that there was variety: some familiar, some unfamiliar, some testing & challenging, some deliciously easy to play with. Felt fantastic.

Oh and while I think of it - more Tessalicious please! Only the impeding 6-hr drive persuaded me to leave before her set was finished.

Other stuff: Didn't make it to the spa, but hope to in June. The few Butlins staff I came into contact with were helpful, efficient and polite. Wasn't too bothered about mixing with non-dancers as it only happened on the way to the venue (none being about when I crept home at 6am!). Slightly uncomfortable passing some on the way in to the venues who took more notice of my (admittedly short) skirt than I would have expected on an all-dancer site, but then I wouldn't usually wear a skirt that length in a non-dance environment.

to Wes for sorting out a change in the DJing on the hoof to reflect the mood amongst the audience. It's details like that which make insignificant punters like me want to keep coming back.

Very glad to see Heavenly Dance Shoes there again

From a personal point of view, once I'd got into it on Sunday I found it much easier to ask unfamiliar faces to dance, and I think I racked up as many as 7 'stranger dances' (unusual for me!), some of whom were real 'finds' who have been added to my must-find-next-time list. Also many gorgeous, memorable dances with familiar friendly faces - thank you to all the lovely leads for making me feel elegant and graceful!

Oh and I wish I'd made more cake. It seemed to disappear remarkably fast. Will work at doing better next time. Thank you to Little Monkey for a divine slice of carrot cake, and another of chocolate-coffee cake...

I know I've missed something out (doesn't look like it with that amount of text, my apologies!) but I am now drowsy and have to work in the morning. Sorry it's a bit rambling.

Thank you ever so much to John & Wes, as usual

LC

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Can you expand on this a bit? What was wrong with the class?

I know AT teachers have often struggled with weekender classes - the change of scale is always a challenge - but I'd be interested to know what you thought went wrong?
    I have attended a number of AT classes at weekenders and found them easy to follow. However this guy did a quick demonstartion of a move and then told a very large class to practice it. Admir would go into more depth about the frame and weight transfer during the move. I didn't feel like I was learning anything.

Quote Originally Posted by scotttwin View Post
    • Being forced to say Hi-De-Hi during the cabarets.
    Forced? By whom?

• Non-Exclusive use of the facilities – being sworn at by two drunken teenagers at 2am whilst walking back to my apartment.
    • Watching a husband and wife having a big row in front of an audience including their kids.
    I had no issues with the mixed nature of the camp but I can see that if you did it would have a big impact on your perception of the event.

Simon Selman embarrassed John when he asked everyone if they were coming back in June and only two people put their hands up in a crowded room – to then say to John “Well at least 2 people are coming back” I thought was a bit cruel and cringe worthy, but pretty much says it all.
    Yes, not the best idea by Simon was it

Blog Entries

Well most of what I had to say has already been covered so I'll try not to repeat, and I have no interest in the pointless arguing so I won't be commenting on the stuff I don't agree with.

This was the first Skeggy weekender. I wasn't at the first SP weekender, but I suspect that this was better and that it took time to develop the atmosphere that SP had; people need time get used to where everything is and how it all works. Having said that, I was happy with it as is.

I think that the longer I've been dancing, the more that the music playing affects whether I enjoy a night/day or not.
    There were some awful sessions and some great ones, but that's just down to my personal preference/music tastes.
    Ones I really enjoyed include Tessalicious, Dr. Chill, Dance Demon, Gazza and Steve Joynson (I think ).
    Ones I didn't included Zebra Woman and TWK.

I only tried 2 lessons (the rest either didn't appeal or I was busy in the spa ).
    Ultra-smooth MJ with Victor. Purleeeease! Firstly, it was all arms above head height and twisting shoulders type moves, whic hwould clearly takes years of practice to be able to do it smoothly. Secondly, what an awful teacher! It was like he'd never taught the routine before, wasn't sure what to say and said the opposite of what he did . Finally, when the lesson finished, he put a series of steel-drum, calypso type songs on which couldn't be further from suitable music to do those moves to.

Basic Lindy with Simon and Kirsty Selmon. The opposite of above . Clearly knew what he was doing (Kirsty got him back on track when he started rambling), did what he said and played great, suitable music (a nice touch was that he told us what they tracks were)

John and Wes, as usual went out of their way to make sure everything was working well and should be congratulated for a great weekend.

Next time... More swing music and more Lindy lessons please. I know that there were a few people there that have extensive collections of swing music and were DJ'ing anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    stuff
    One last thing, there were more than a few people I didn't dance with for one reason or another and that I would've liked to, but that was my own fault.

(Be warned, this is a long review)

Journey
    Took us about 4hours each way including stopping for food which is comparable to what it took to get to SP. Difference being distance (shorter) and road type (mainly single carriageway A roads). The closure to the A52 on the way back showed us a much better route using the A158 and A16 north of Boston. Journey time could be slower in the summer if there’s more holiday traffic about but that could be said for any destination.

Accommodation
    • Cleanliness - very
    • Hot water - plentiful
    • Cooking facilities – none, I stayed in one of the room only options without the half board. I decided I could cater for myself for less that the extra £50 the half board option cost
    • Distance from your accommodation to the venue? – short (I stayed in Starfish) About 5mins well lit walk. Car park right outside for unloading bags.
    • I'd compare it to a Premier Travel Inn

Venues
    • Distance between venues and was this an issue? – shorter than I expected. I didn’t go into Arthurs or Reds (except to see the cabaret) but it seemed no longer than the distance between rooms at Breeze.
    • Timings of available dancing – can’t comment as I didn’t dance much this weekend. Glad to see John/Wes listening to feedback and having a dedicated slot in Arthurs for WCS on, what was, Monday morning. When I did look in Arthurs over the weekend, it did seem quiet.
    • Size – Reds (main venue): huge and looked really funky; Arthurs (eclectic room): similar to the latin room at SP; Jaks (blues/WCS): large enough to cater for the dancers, small enough for atmosphere.
    • Floor – can only comment on Jaks which was lethal on Friday night. I LOVE fast floors but the limited dancing I did was in my walking trainers and I could still turn with no problem. It was slightly better on Saturday and by Sunday was pretty much sorted
    • Heat - fans - air-con etc – again can only comment on Jaks. The air con seemed to be coping well. As someone who did a fair bit of sitting around I needed my cardi so for the dancers was probably just right.
    • Bars – Jaks: efficient & friendly. Pint orange cordial £1.50, half glass lemonade £1.30, free tap water easily available (though no lemon slices like we got at SP)
    • Seating – this was the one aspect I did get to test! The raised seating in Jaks was good. You could also hide at the back if you didn’t want to dance. Bar stools nearer the dance floor for watching the action. Good move by (I think) Lee Bartholomew to move the tables/chairs in Jaks to create an extra bit of space (originally for private lessons but was left for the freestyle)
    Restaurants
    • Plenty of choice if you don’t like vegetables. Prices weren’t too bad. There didn’t seem to be one place where everyone ate but sometimes it’s nice to get away from the crowd.
    Other facilities
    • Plenty of slot machines etc if you like that sort of thing.
    • The spa looked nice from the outside
    • Camel racing…
    Music – Probably the hottest topic of the weekend. Basing my views entirely on Jaks (as that’s the only place I was).
    I think Friday and Saturday nights in general didn’t suit many people at all. It was mainly a variation thing and most stuff just sounded the same. There were issues with the sound system which I’m sure will be sorted for June. That’s not the fault of the DJs. Sunday was way better though I think by then some people had already made up their minds that they were going to dislike it.

Having said that I thought Dance Demon on both the sets I heard (Sun wee hours, Sun afternoon) got it absolutely spot on and Tessalicious’s set from 4.30am Monday morning was superb. I sat at the decks with her and counted 30 couples at 6.30am Full credit to her for that

Workshops – didn’t do or watch any

Cabarets – was disappointed by the tango which, to me, looked a little clumpy. Kyle and Sarah’s classic routine was superb. Simon Selmon as a MC, not so good

Would a BBQ be feasible for the summer? – probably not on site but the beach would be a great meeting point as it’s so close

Any complaints? – my body not being fully able to take advantage of all the great leads on offer and my neighbours who were very noisy and got up just as I was heading to bed. They were dancers and I think we all sometimes forget that there are those who go to bed at 1am and get up for all the classes on offer. They had a great time (seriously I could hear all their conversations)

Any Shocking gossip??? – no, but I’ll be very surprised if the video of Tessalicious and Princess Fi doesn’t make it onto the DVD

Funny moments – Bananas on Monday morning…

and finally ... compared to the previous JA Southport's, how does it rate, as an overall experience???
    I enjoyed it even though I wasn’t able to fully participate. That’s given me a somewhat different experience to most. I thought the accommodation was way better than I expected and the site sharing was no issue to me at all. It was never going to be the full Southport experience and those who thought it was are crazy. Out of all the dance organizers I’ve come across, John and Wes always seem to listen to and act on feedback so I have high hopes for June. Rating out of 10 = 8

p.s. thanks to those who danced with me, sat with me, hugged me and were generally lovely

Blog Entries

Missed

~Lory, you were very much missed this weekend but then again so many people were, even people that were there. I did not get to dance with so many this weekend just because i did not see them when dancing. Having the three rooms seperated as they are causes this to happen i think.

Journey

This was three hours without a stop. Pretty average i would say and similar to southport for us. Going back though, they shut one of the roads. No diversion was being shown, they just shut it. Luckily the sat nav did get us around it eventually but we bumped into Icey and Mr Darcy looking perplexed on a farm country road and saw loads of cars driving around trying to find a way out. Quite funny really but we got there eventually.

Accomodation

Absolutely bloody fantastic. Distance a drag. Fortunately not raining so didn't put us out too much. Loved the apartments though absolutely loved them. Warm, clean and spacious.

Venues & Music

Jaks/Reds and Arthurs - spent most of our time in Jaks until sunday nite when decided to have a look at Reds. Dance demon was on and we spent the rest of sunday nite in there. Gutted we did not manage to get accross before. Found this hall lively, brighter and generally more fun. Jaks was not for me this time. Music was not good and actually quite depressing. No atmosphere and definately not the same buzz as southport. This needs work IMO Not sure WCS and MJ are a good mix together and even though i do both, think they need to be seperated. Might stop the moaning.

Water plenty available and with ice which was wonderful. We found Bar prices steep though.

Cabaret

Didnt see it so can not comment. Didn't hear much about it either

Compared to previous Southport

They are so different you really can not compare them. Would i go again to SKeggy.. yes i would and will probably book June in next couple of weeks. I think Summer would be better there.

Spa on site although expensive (£15 each for two hour use) unless you booked at special between 4-6pm two for price of one.. it was a lovely touch and made for a great two hour relaxation before going back to chalet, cooking dinner and then sleeping for a bit before the evening.

John and Wes were all over the place and open to listening to any problems i think. Also our television didn't work which we only sussed out Saturnday nite. WE texted and it was fixed by sunday lunchtime enabling us to watch dancing on ice (yes i know saddo's). Great nifty text service.

So to sum up.... Great venue and lovely weekend , it needs work on the music in Jaks and could we have some little bikes to go backwards and forwards to the fantastic chalets that are a mile away.
    Last edited by Trouble; 17th-February-2009 at 11:51 AM.

Journey

Very long but still worth it in the end. (9 hours plus )

Accommodation

• Excellent : Much better than the one at southport. The extra cost over previous southport bookings does go into providing a better accommodation.

• Hot water arrangements were fine,

• Cooking facilities : could only get the silver apartments, which had no kitchen, one double bed, a twin room and a bathroom that's all. Although, they did have some tea and coffee in the room, and an iron board with no iron . There was TV in individual room, although my friends in the next room had tv in just one room, not that anyone was watching )
    • saw a flat which was six people sharing, it was spacious, kitchen was big and the lounge a reasonable size.

• 5 mins walk to the venue but I can understand the complaints few people had regarding the 15 min walk to some of the rooms. Sometiems you might not feel as secure as u did in southport, walking to your room at 5 or 6 in the morning

Venues
    • Distance between venues is not that much but it is a pain to remove your shoes and put them back on. Miss the ease with which you could just go to the blues room at southport and then switch over to the main room or the latin room or even the marquee.

• Jaks the Blues room was good but they kept playing blues and west coast swing music. Few people had complains that sometimes there was more west coast swing stuff or that the music was a tad to upbeat for their liking. Redz,the main room, played fast music, the times i went it was good. Arthur, the latin room, didnt much time dancing there apart from the classes.

• All three rooms are bigger compared to southport.

• Floor, this is another issue that will hopefully be resolved in the consequent weekenders. Jaks (Blues) was slidy and someone had put talcum powder on the floor. Wes announced and put notices that such behaviour wasnt to be tolerated and didnt have more issues with talcum powder. Reds, was massive and had a look like your dancing on tiles. Some of the ridges kept protruding as the floor boards kept shifting slightly within their frames. This did cause minor problems for followers trying to spin. I would advice, if its your first time, then dance with ur least expensive shoes, get a feel for it and then decide which footwear to wear. Arthur the latin room was fine,

• Heater: Heating for some bizarre reason was on in REDZ.

• Water supply was inadequate in Arthurs.. Jaks and Redz was fine.

• seating: slightly more than southport, only just

• Atmosphere: good but could easily be improved with improvements to the venue and music.

Restaurants
    • Much better than southport. They have much variety. The two on site food courts (Which is free for people on Half board accommodation or you can pay £9 each time for supper or £6 each time for breakfast at the bar), has a buffet. Food is good and you can have what you want how much you want, drinks and tea and coffe top up included as well. Apart from that there is a take away shop, burger king, a mini supper market, outlet shops and few other shops.

• Prices : reasonable

• really efficient service as its a buffet

Other facilities
    • spa : not sure

• swimming : didnt try it, although did see a pool

• Shops : a mini supermarket, a mini outlet shop, gift shop, ice cream shop

• Bars : not sure apart from the one in the dance venues. this is a massive venue.

the good the bad and the Ugly of the...

Music - Dj's

Descent music most times apart from some complaints especially about wcs music in the blues room.

Workshops

- Kyle and sarah were fab, out of three wcs workshops i have been to this is the one i learnt most from.
    - a bit disappointed with the double trouble class. The lead was mostly leading one women and through her was leading the other women ( Starts of with Leads LH offered to Follower 1's RH, Follower 1's LH is wrapped around Follower 2's back with the follower 2 wrapped to follower 1's LHS). so basically you would need to know a follower who knows how to lead the other women as well.
    - Saw a bit more of ballroom dances being brought into jive addiction weekenders, there was a strictly come dancing class which i liked, had a routine with bits of style, tango , paso doble and which can be done with modren jive.

Workshops were fewer in numbers as they are one venue short compared to southport, they didnt have the marquee as in southport so it was only the redz and arthurs with jaks only having two or three classes.

Cabarets-

there was only one - showgirls.. no fancy dress this time.

Showcase:

both were nice. was mainly kyle and sarah and the tango teachers doing two routines.

BBQ for summer: Not sure, for one there is security people around, don't know if they will object to it. Also, there are muggles as well.

Complaints: covered in the post above.

What could be improved on ? : resolving some of the complaints covered above.

Summary: I enjoyed the weekender. It is still not at par with JA southport of last year but i think it will be with the subsequent weekenders. Probably, how southport grew from its first ever weekender to how it was on its last weekender. Have alredy booked for June and am planning to go in september as well.

sorry for the long post

enjoy dancing

Quote Originally Posted by LemonCake View Post
    It felt as though every DJ was trying to out-cool the last, with the result that it was all incredibly samey and bland, and while it was entertaining to watch WCS danced to it for one or two tracks, it palled very quickly and was also no fun at all to jive/blues to it. I spent less time on the dance floor than any SP, and in the time spent chatting to favourite dancers who were also not dancing as much, kept hearing the same comment - the music was too WCS-biased. For the purposes of this narrative, that meant less good for the rest of us to jive/blues to, as we all know WCS can be danced to more than one musical style (and I do love to see it done!).

In the early hours of Sunday, having heard sufficient grumbling other than my own to feel reassured that it wasn't just my fussy-madam tastes not liking the music, I figured it was better to light a candle than curse the darkness. So I plucked up courage to approach the DJ at the change of sets, and tried to politely express that there was a reasonably general feeling amongst the audience that too much of one style of music was gaining precedence,and could the coming tracks perhaps have a change in empahsis? The incoming DJ basically told me that that was the last DJ's choice and I should listen to his set and see if I liked it any better. I felt patronised and dismissed - the message I received was that he was going to play what he had planned, regardless of what the mood of the listeners might be, not adapt anything to fit a general request.
    I heard this opinion several times at the weekend. It may or may not be true but if that what we punters think then maybe the hotshots are behind the decks and not on the floor.................. Maybe time to resurrect the thread on what makes a good DJ

Like LemonCake I enjoyed Dance Demon and Blueshoes. I was also gutted to have to cut Tessalicious's set short to go get some sleep. Just shows that getting the mix right is possible after all ................

Agent 000
    Licensed to Dance

Well where to start.

Journey Dont care

Accommodation Dont care

Everything else Dont care

It all boils down to a couple of things for me...

Dancers, floors, music and venues.

Dancers...Superb, this is why I do Weekenders, to dance with people I cant dance with normally. Nearly every dance I had was brilliant, missed FH when she left early, major blow for me.

Floors Blues room was brilliant, Arthurs was dismal and upstairs was patchy, to say the least. These will be tweaked and sorted by John and Wes, ergo no problem.

Music Well the Blues/WCS debate rages on another thread. IMHO who ever sorts this out will be the winner. When the music was good it was brilliant, when it was bad it was dire. I don't know jack sh1t about music, I just know what grabs me and sets me off. When it was grabbing me it was marvellous. When it was not grabbing me I changed venues and was grabbed in the other venues.

Spent most of my time between Jaks and Reds. Went into Arthur's on Friday night to come across a room in full buzz, ended up in a 10-12 way tag, with people joining in who we didnt know. Everything was going really well when a class came on at 11.30 ish and destroyed the atmosphere in there totally.

All in all we had a good weekend, however the Blues/WCS music dilution is an issue, as proved by the lively debates raging over it.

Paid deposit for next time looking forward to see how things will be tweaked.

DTS XXX XXX

Well...I’ve read all the posts on the thread. And I agree with some things and disagree with some. I'm sorry but I think this might be a long post.

I had an absolutely brilliant time at Skegness. But I wasn’t expecting a Southport. JA Southport was my first weekender and will always be in my memories as one of the best. So I went in with an open mind and am not going to try and compare the two.

Journey
    Easy for me now. Manchester to Skegness in just over 3 hours with a little bit of traffic. Was used to the wee 40/50 mile an hour roads with tractors being a country gal from up north!
    Had lovely company from Hannah. Singing and excitement all the way there and then nice chatting and dissecting of the weekend on the way back as my poor ears couldn’t take any more music.

Accommodation
    Think it’s all been said before. Lovely accommodation, certainly not what we’re used to. Clean and plenty of hot water.

Think I spent more time (or longer periods) in the accommodation this time as we were quite away from the dancing and there didn’t seem to be a communal area (see later comments). While we were not a million miles from the venues. It was further away and felt like a long time if you were walking on your own so less convenient to pop back for food, change of clothes/shower.

I Only drove once and this was when I hauled my arse out of bed just before the cabaret and thought I only had a few mins to get there as really didn’t want to miss Kyle and Sarah perform their classic routine (esp. having seen it the previous Sunday on DVD, Thanks Caro.) As it happens I could have walked as it didn’t start on time. As I didn’t have a watch can’t be sure how long but felt like about half-an-hour after the advertised time.
    Oh and got driven back once when leaving with someone who had driven there.

Venues
    There were a few good and bad points about the venues and I’ll try and structure my post as well as possible.

General stuff
    It was a short walk between venues but it meant that the usual trick of peer through doors and see who’s there and what the music is wasn’t possible so found if I went to one room I was there for the long haul. No popping into the main room for a couple of dances to wake up or if the music in Jaks wasn’t to my taste. Only went to Arthurs for the impromptu WCS set and again walk wasn’t too bad.

The size of the rooms was good and felt that when all three rooms were open there was plenty of space for everyone. However I did feel that the intimacy usually in the blues room was lost because Jaks was on the big side but for earlier this was needed.

Thought all floors had their issues. Main room was uneven and very sticky in someplaces. Jaks was better but sandy so rather than talc which makes the floor slidy you felt that you were rolling over the floor and sometimes couldn’t control it as well. The room in Arthurs although even was not good and took a lot more work and was harder on my knees.

Was kept cool very well over the weekend and didn’t need to change very much at all so took far too many clothes!

Atmosphere and Music

Generally I didn’t like the fact that the main room didn’t open till 11.30. Not because I want to dance in it but because others do. To Me it felt like the atmosphere of the blues room took longer to generate because the people who normally dance in the main room because they like that type of music were there and therefore felt that the DJ’s were trying to suit everyone and ended up pleasing no one!

Friday night
    Unusual for me as I didn’t come out till after 11pm as was having fun catching up with Pretzel Meister, Lemon Cake, Princess Fi and Rhythm King over dinner. When I got to Jaks I was disappointed there seemed to be some major issues with the sound as I couldn’t hear it over the far side by the entrance and there seemed to be far too much Bass everywhere else. I also felt that there were too many people who would normally dance in different rooms, see above.

I ended up going for a wander to see the other rooms. Arthurs had a class going on and the Main room was very quiet as had just opened. I stayed in the Main room for over four hours that night. :O I was having fun dancing MJ. Lots of fun. For me it was a change, dancing with people who I like to dance with to some different fun music that I lost track of time. Kept saying that I would go back to Jaks but would spot someone I needed to dance with or loved a track. I left at 4am to go across to Jaks as I was enjoying the music less as the night went on and it got quieter. This was my only time in the main room apart from fro classes

By this time the atmosphere in Jaks was great and had some wonderful dances WCS and Blues until 6am when I just couldn’t dance any longer and was getting very hungry.

Saturday
    Had some lovely dances in the Afternoon in Jaks and it had the usual feel for me didn’t want to leave but had to as needed food and sleep.

Didn’t come out till 2pm as was sleeping, eating and chatting – Well that’s part of weekenders

I loved every minute of Saturday night. The music at times didn’t make me want to jump for joy but usually there was plenty of dancers that I wanted to dance with for me to overlook this. I did turn a couple of people down due to the music but that is personal choice. I didn’t however feel that there was too much of one genre of music but I’ll mention that later. I stayed until 8am when my feet could barely hold me up and I needed food and the music was no longer making me inspired.

Sunday
    For me Sunday is always the best and this is no exception. Afternoon Dancing was bliss until the music started to disappoint me and loads of people went off for food and naps so I decided to go and hang out with some friends. Sunday night I made it out for about 11 and the atmosphere I thought was fab. The music was interesting, my favorite dancers were there and I was in the zone. So much so that my plan to go get some food at 1am kept getting put off and off till 2am and it was a mad dash to get back for the WCS room. The separate room was excellent and the set in here was perfect though I wish it was a little bit longer. Then it was back to the blues room and although I was driving home and needed sleep I couldn’t leave till they chucked us out.

My grumbles
    I felt that the distance between rooms meant that I didn’t see some people all weekend.

Like others I thought the music was off at times but as I said earlier I think that the DJ’s were generally trying to please everyone and ended up pleasing none.

I didn’t think there was too much WCS music and I didn’t think there were too many West coasters taking up the floor. I see myself as someone who dances WCS and MJ and I love them both. Both the WCS crowd and the blues people seemed to be having the same issues and usually with the same songs. I didn’t find a problem of having both crowds on the same floor dancing to the same music as it meant I could just grab whoever I wanted for the songs I wanted to dance to. I don’t think it was the presence of the two styles on the floor that spoiled the atmosphere but the fact that it was too big a room to ever recreate a Southport blues room and the music never really got there.

However I think there is a problem with the styles fitting together in the way that they are danced and so maybe separate rooms would solve this. I really enjoyed having some time in Arthurs to dance Pure WCS as did all of the usual WCSers. It gave space and music to really dance the dance and play around a lot with it. And I hope that it meant that the traditional blues room feel got created in Jaks. What I wouldn’t like is if all night the WCS and Blues room was separated all night as for me I wouldn’t know where to go. If there were regular WCS sets in another room but then everyone back to the blues room it would be great (I think). I don’t know how to solve the problem.

And Finally
    John and Wes seemed to be taking everyone’s opinions on board and the problem with the sound system in Jaks on Fri seemed to be fixed by 4am sat morn (in my opinion). I’ve not booked for June or Sep as need to work out hols etc but I’m not saying that I’m not going back. I most deffinately will be trying to!

Thank You to everyone who I danced with I had some real finds over the weekend. I loved seeing everyone and hanging out with old and new friends
    P.s. I missed you all!
    Missed you too lory, hun. (hug)

Quote Originally Posted by sindbad View Post

no fancy dress this time.

I don't wear that out fit shopping

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post

Journey Dont care

Accommodation Dont care

Everything else Dont care

It all boils down to a couple of things for me...

Dancers, floors, music and venues.

Paid deposit for next time looking forward to see how things will be tweaked.

X
    I keep trying to do mine bit and getting side lined

I agree with the above, I went to skeggie with an open mind nothing will replace my journey with JA and Southport which was one of the most significant chapters in my life's book.

I want my apartment right out side the venue I want to walk though doors to the next room I want it to be one hour from my home, but you know what thats gone...get ove it!

For me this is the start of a new journey with JA i'm not a 'fair weather' freind and i'm in it for the 'long hall' I booked and paid in September for Feb and June, I was to busy mouthing to Josh 'wheres your wings you big fairy' when Simon asked the crowd, or I would have shouted out.

right trying to do my report.

totally agree with dts - what really matters for me was the people I met and danced with, some great new finds and they have already been thanked for making my weekend.

Yes, I wasn't mad on the 10 minute trek from apartment to venues, nor the dance floor in Reds where my heels did keep getting caught in the uneven gaps between tiles, or Jaks on Fri night when it was a skating rink, but wherever you go, I think you have to adapt your dancing to a degree for different dance floors. And enough people have commented on that for John and Wes to take it on board. The shoe covers - whilst not too pretty - were also a reasonable solution to the issue of moving between venues.

One complaint I have to make - and I hope the person involved reads this and changes his ways. A good friend of mine, who is a phenomenal jiver, was asked in Jaks if she WCS-ed. When she said quite honestly that she had done some basic classes but would really like the chance to practise and for some tips, they started dancing. After about 15 secs, he looked at her disparagingly and said 'Hmmm...I think we'll just jive'. Shame on you - she was mortified. Everyone was a beginner once etc etc so have a little patience and kindness and get your head out of your a**e.

Look forward to seeing - and hopefully hearing here - how John and Wes answer some of the comments that have been made about the weekend.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Tanguero Point Of View Review is up now:
    http://www.jivetango.co.uk/Reviews/Eclipse.html

I know you've all been dying to read it

Quote Originally Posted by Little Feet View Post
    totally agree with dts - what really matters for me was the people I met and danced with, some great new finds and they have already been thanked for making my weekend.

Yes, I wasn't mad on the 10 minute trek from apartment to venues, nor the dance floor in Reds where my heels did keep getting caught in the uneven gaps between tiles, or Jaks on Fri night when it was a skating rink, but wherever you go, I think you have to adapt your dancing to a degree for different dance floors. And enough people have commented on that for John and Wes to take it on board. The shoe covers - whilst not too pretty - were also a reasonable solution to the issue of moving between venues.

One complaint I have to make - and I hope the person involved reads this and changes his ways. A good friend of mine, who is a phenomenal jiver, was asked in Jaks if she WCS-ed. When she said quite honestly that she had done some basic classes but would really like the chance to practise and for some tips, they started dancing. After about 15 secs, he looked at her disparagingly and said 'Hmmm...I think we'll just jive'. Shame on you - she was mortified. Everyone was a beginner once etc etc so have a little patience and kindness and get your head out of your a**e.

Look forward to seeing - and hopefully hearing here - how John and Wes answer some of the comments that have been made about the weekend.

well said hun, rep on its way.

Do we know each other ?

with you making this comment it looks like there was a bit of this going on, I understand one lady was left on the floor.

I have a couple of please to the 'A' list westies.

please stop asking 'do you WCS' and the reason I say this, I get asked this question all the time, if I say Yes, but in reality i'm a bit unsure of my ability with this wonderfull dance, he's going to think she just said yes blummin fibber! if I say NO you get a jive which is not what I want.
    what ever happend to male lead female follow....guys give it a go if we mess up then adjust you dancing acordingly....if your as good as the impression you give i'm sure you will cope....and what's the worst that can happen? you don't get the wow dance you think you deserve. You have the power to make or brake some ones weekend.

Wesites good new travels fast .....wow see that man over there iv just had 'the' most fab dance with him.

but bad new travels faster, see that miserable twat over there well let me tell you what just happened.

I hate this *them and us* it reminds me of the 'punks' and the 'skinheads' in the 70's never the twine shall meet.

the thought for the day

are we human or are we dancers?

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    The Tanguero Point Of View Review is up now:
    http://www.jivetango.co.uk/Reviews/Eclipse.html

I know you've all been dying to read it
    I know Ken's on here so he can respond if he wishes but I was one of the people who didn't like the tango cabarets. They were not engaging and a world away in terms of polish from what Vincent/Flavia and Amir/Cat have produced before at JA cabarets. It may be that the second one was a style of tango to which I am unaccustomed but aesthetic appeal is usually independent of dance style and the excess of leg wrapping and just the general quality of movement around the floor was not of the standard I would expect. Challenging this opinion (which ultimately is all it is) with 'well, show us how you do it' is daft. I'd never criticise or pass judgement on the punter's cabaret but I have no such reticence with dancers who are professionals.

Little bit of niceness now.......HAPPYB She's not right that one.

Dancing with Happyb is like getting all of your xmas's in a dance. She is just so bubbly and happy, I wish I could bottle what she has......Amazing dancer with a personality that just infects you.

The Scottish and Irish crowd make these Northern weekends for me. God bless the lot of you.

I had some truly amazing dances over the weekend, so lets not lose sight of the excellent time we had. It is so easy to dwell upon the negatives.

Underpar and Ant...Frightened the cr*p out of me. Well done lads.

DTS XXX XXX

Thread Information