Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Skeggy - The Aftermath

Re: Skeggy - The Aftermath

This will only be impressions from me as I was really unwell from Saturday afternoon .......

The drive was just really long - 9.5 hours with stops down the East coast and 7.5 hours with stops back up the West coast. This meant I had to take the whole day off on Friday rather than a scoot down to Southport on Friday afternoon. It sounds minor but it makes quite a difference.

The accommodation was great - comfortable and warm. It was quite a walk from the event but was pleasant enough because the weather was good.

I only danced in Jaks in the time I had. The floor was lethal and I did hit the floor on one (otherwise extremely beautiful ) occasion. However, all the dances I had were great (except one wcs in which I was seriously rubbish and my partner made it clear he thought so too )

Tessalicious - I never managed to tell you how much I enjoyed your set on Saturday afternoon

I will go again in June to get a more rounded experience. However, Skegness is just a long way from Dundee

Special thanks to my flatmates, Little Monkey and Heather, who put up with the coughing and sniffing. Extra thanks to Heather who brought me back home to my own bed on Sunday afternoon

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Going to only do a short post as not home till tomorrow.

Our accomodation was right at the back of the site. Infact when I looked at google maps, my accomodation was no longer in Skegness!!!!!! However, it took no more than 7 mins to walk back so anyone reporting that it took 15 must have stoped for rests or been crawling. It just seemed to take forever

Something that did fustrate me is all the WCS dancers saying it was too blues based in Jaks and the MJ'ers saying it was too WCS'ing !!!!! Being able to do a little bit of both, I think it was just a case of the music trying to please everyone and pleasing no one as a result.

The sound system in jaks was not great either. I am guessing it was the in house PA used which seemed to be more geared towards bass and unable to handle the upper end very well.

Highlight was Wes announcing the WCS being moved to the other room and as the WC'ers were off, Roger Chin playing Secret unaware that it is a WCS classic. He got a round of applause for that. Infact I think he then went on to play the best WCS set of the weekend !!!!

The only real solution for Jaks is to stop calling it a blues room if a wider variety of music is needed in there.

I had a good weekend. It was not the best one I have had but it was not the worst either. You would have to be an Idiot to think that John and Wes did not go around and make note of what to do for next time.

There were a few problems but I think most of it was with the people and not really the venue.

Journey:

Great - way less hassle than the infamous M6 up to Southport

Accommodation:

Clean, comfortable, plenty of space, heaps of hot water, a kitchen I felt happy cooking in and surprisingly good service (our kettle broke and was replaced within 10 mins of my requesting it my a very helpful chap who also brought a welcome pack of kitchen stuff).

I was close to the dance venue so no problems with walking around, and really didn't find the venues too far apart, it's just that you did need to go outside, which is always a pain.

Dance rooms:

The latin room as a room was 10 times better than the latin room at SP (bigger, lighter, didn't stink...and I liked the twinkly lighting round the walls) and I didn't go into the main room enough to comment. Jaks could work fine as a blues room, just needs some more tweaking for me (like a little bit more lighting in the seating bits and sorting out the reverb on the speakers). I rather liked the floor in there, although it was too fast for some.

Dancing itself:

Despite the fact that Jaks looked bigger than the old blues room to me, it did get uncomfortably packed a lot of the time. All the more annoying when I think the latin room was often deserted. John and Wes put on a dedicated WCS set in there on Sunday night after listening to comments - I have got to say thanks for responding so quickly and it was a great set, even if there was a small mutiny when it ended . Some more late night WCS sets in there would definitely be a good plan...

My main disappointment of the weekend was the music - as somebody has already pointed out, a large chunk of Saturday night seemed to disintegrate into easy listening stuff that didn't do much for me. And as for Friday night - who was complaining about too much WCS music?! I think it was too much bland, thump thump music that was about the right tempo for WCS but that's about as far as it went. I don't think it was a Blues vs. WCS thing - I didn't speak to anybody in that room that liked it. To my twisted mind it felt like a solution to the Blues/WCS dilemma by making sure everyone would hate the music equally.

Some of the daytime blues room sets were great and the music did seem to get better as the weekend went along - Sunday afternoon and night were way better.

Overall I had fun, I had some absolutely amazing dances (huge thanks to the guys responsible for those ) and although there were some teething problems they all felt like they were likely be fixed for the next one. I did miss some people I'm used to seeing at SP who weren't there, which is always a shame.

FunkyAngel

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    So do I, but come on, did you see loads of half cut women in their 60s in the in the Jaks room
    I am sure that none of us witnessed this, but hey...who ever he was...at least he kept the drunk old women occupied so that none of us had to dance with them.

The Journey:Not as easy as autopiloting up the M6 to SP but OK.

What really made Skeggie for me was the accommodation. It was absolute bliss to walk into a clean, warm, tidy, pleasant, comfortable environment and just be able to relax at any time of the day or night. I was totally exhausted when I arrived after a stressful few weeks so this really meant a lot to me. For the first time ever I've come home from a weekender without a massive sleep debt and it feels great!

Personally, I don't feel that I would ever want to go back to the complete dump that is Pontin's Southport!

Distance from accommodation to the venue: This was a bit of an inconvenience and discouraged popping back to chalet at odd moments to change/sleep etc. I think there would have been a lot more moaning about it if the weather had been rainy or stormy. The weather was on Jive Addiction's side as usual!

I liked all the venues and thought they were very suitable for their purpose. Jaks was appropriately murky and seedy with plenty of beer soaked into the floorboards. What was that stuff on it on Friday night, though? Seemed more like sand than talc.

Arthur's was pleasantly big and empty - when I got fed up with crowds in Jaks there was always space there. I tripped on the edges of the boards a couple of times, though. I'm assuming JA laid that plywood flooring down? The caber flooring used at SP gave a better dancing surface, I thought.

I didn't dance more than a dozen or so dances in the Reds venue all weekend but didn't find the tiled floor a problem and liked the shiny, sparkly look of the place.

Restaurants: Fine. You're never more than 50 yards away from a fish supper in Skeggie. There were at least 5 to choose from so there was no reason to get bored and prices were reasonable. Shops were good, especially if you needed a stick of novelty rock or a pink jewelled statuette. The supermarket never ran out of milk and had a plentiful supply of Saturday Guardians which was all I required.

I had no problem at all with Joe Public using the site as well. It was fun seeing lots of kids running round enjoying themselves. Once inside the venues we were in the MJ bubble, anyway. One of the shop assistants asked us why so many people were wandering around carrying shoes in bags - it put it all into perspective, somehow.

I did a grand total of 1 workshop -
    40 mins WCS, absolutely fine, spot-on.
    5 minutes Tango - I was passing through, and thought I'd join in and see if the leaders could lead the moves on someone who hadn't done the workshop. They couldn't. The teachers didn't seem to have gauged the level of the class well and hadn't imparted basic concepts like: The leaders are responsible for managing the follower's weight changes. Ho hum.

Incidentally, I noted that the intermediate WCS workshop had a "not suitable for beginners" warning on it. Did anybody think that this made any difference? And could it be extended to the intermediate AT next time? Given the more limited choice of workshops I can see that trying to limit them further would be unlikely to work, however.

MUSIC!!!! I would have happily stayed in Jaks the whole time, therefore neatly avoiding the problem of going outside to change venue. However, I found much of the music there to be dreary, sluggish and generally uninspiring except for those who were proficient WCSwingers. I don't have a problem with sharing the space but I do have a problem with hybrid music as although it may be possible to MJ to it it doesn't seem to me to get the best out of the majority of dancers. The afternoon music, especially, seemed too slow and plodding for the time of day and felt tedious and depressing after a few hours. This just isn't what I hope for from a weekender, but life moves on and maybe I just haven't moved with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella
    Dr Chill and Dance Demon worked together to create the sort of set we used to adore at Southport.
    I missed this bit. So it's still out there somewhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by S38
    ............good old days........Southport Blues Room 2006......
    And many thanks for the dance, Stewart!

Overall, I enjoyed the weekender, though I treated it a holiday rather than a dance event. I've booked for September.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    The sound system in jaks was not great either. I am guessing it was the in house PA used which seemed to be more geared towards bass and unable to handle the upper end very well.
    A very good point - sound quality in Jaks was not good. For me also the disco lighting was a bit annoying.

Highlight was Wes announcing the WCS being moved to the other room and as the WC'ers were off, Roger Chin playing Secret unaware that it is a WCS classic. He got a round of applause for that. Infact I think he then went on to play the best WCS set of the weekend !!!!
    Well it certainly wasn't Blues and not quite what I was expecting to chill out to in the wee small hours. He did have some superb tracks in there, just out of place for a supposedly Blues slot. Mind you that version of Ravel's Bolero he played was probably the track that I had the most fun playing with all weekend - anyone know who recorded it?

There were a few problems but I think most of it was with the people and not really the venue.
    You could have a point Lee, the venue challenges are teething problems that I'm sure will be tuned out as long as we can find a way either to get the Blues and WCS crowds to co-habit or take the decision to separate them. Of course none of this has much effect on the majority of people who come to do the high energy stuff in the main room.

Agent 000
    Licensed to Dance

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Can you expand on this a bit? What was wrong with the class?

I know AT teachers have often struggled with weekender classes - the change of scale is always a challenge - but I'd be interested to know what you thought went wrong?
    I am sure the teacher is a very good teacher in in smaller workshops but I dont think he dealt with crowd control very well. There were plenty of single ladies that went as it started off as everyone with fixed partners. This was then followed with 10 minutes of walking around the room, ladies going backwards, causing nothing but bumps and knocks. We left after 10 mins. I think alot of others did too.

I know he was attempting the basic techniques but it would have been better just getting people doing afew patterns and letting them gain some interest in the dance rather than putting them off.

Again, I just think this was a lack of experience in dealing with such a large class and knowing what was expected.

Kyle and Sarah were great teachers, I learnt just as much about teaching from them as I did about WCS.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am sure the teacher is a very good teacher in in smaller workshops but I dont think he dealt with crowd control very well. There were plenty of single ladies that went as it started off as everyone with fixed partners. This was then followed with 10 minutes of walking around the room, ladies going backwards, causing nothing but bumps and knocks. We left after 10 mins. I think alot of others did too.
    Yes, that sounds plausible.

Crowd control has always been a weakness with AT teachers - it's an inherently difficult dance to teach slotted anyway, and AT classes are typically taught to much smaller numbers, 20-30 or so.

I reckon Paul Bottomer would be an absolute star with AT classes at weekenders, he's got the crowd system down pat - it's a shame no-one's asked him. Failing that - blimey, Ian was there, right?

It's also a shame JA didn't warn the AT teachers about this, John and Wes have enough experience to realise this is a problem I'd have thought. Ah well.

I know he was attempting the basic techniques but it would have been better just getting people doing afew patterns and letting them gain some interest in the dance rather than putting them off.
    Yes - again, the mentality of the average MJ-er trying an AT class at a weekender is very different from that of a normal AT class attendee. Again, I'd hope that John and Wes could provide some guidance in this area...

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post

Yes - again, the mentality of the average MJ-er trying an AT class at a weekender is very different from that of a normal AT class attendee. Again, I'd hope that John and Wes could provide some guidance in this area...
    Its always been a problem , I remember at camber one year , with 50 extra women turning up at a tango class and the teacher just saying you lot better go

Well, it was my first weekender since the last Blaze, I think!!

And it was fab to reconnect with distant friends ( ... I think that this is the aspect that I love most about weekenders).

I'm a funny b*gger, so I don't, quite frankly, expect much of my opinion to resonate with many people ..... at all!!

Jaks was the choice for me. Atmosphere felt wonderful on Sunday afternoon, even though there was some really quite eclectic music going at times ... 'twas challenging, but fun. I was surprised by one or two quite .... errrm fast tracks. But it only was one or two [ ... or maybe it was just me!! ]

All the dance floors seemed fine to me ... but then again, I'm not too fussed.

Sooo much floor space. Shame about Arthurs ... it did seem under utilised, somehow. Floor was a little sticky. I had thought it would be a good alternative to the main room after 11:30 (when the main room became available) ... the only time that I did spend time there, it seemed to have captured the 50+ market. It's not often, these days, that I feel like the youngest in the room!!! :O I did see a few youngsters come in, and then leave without dancing at all. Now, don't get me wrong, I am as 'prejudiced' against a 50+ crowd as I am against a 25- crowd. It's the mix that I love, which is so often well reflected at most MJ events, and the other dance rooms proved the point. I'm not sure that the experimental attempt to incorporate ballroom helped in that respect.

Accomm was far beyond my limited expectation, and reports of customer service were commendable.

My biggest sadness will be the (relative) loss of Irish and Scottish involvement. Southport seems to have a far better communications network for both Ireland and Scotland and (for that matter) anyone abroad (with Manchester International Airport being fairly close (hmmmm ... it's not as close as I thought!!) Although, that loss will be London (and the Home Counties) gain ... and I met some lovely new faces from those parts.

As far as the roads go, I was told to be aware that in Summer, caravans and tractors will cause extra frustrations for car traffic. As it happened, the closure of the A52 on Monday showed me a quicker route via Lincoln.

Altogether, another lovely weekend ... a though I did miss some Scottish friends.

Well done again, John and Wes!

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in Notts View Post
    I suppose the content of the anonymous comment can still be discussed or refuted in the same way as any other post - perhaps if there is anyone else on the forum who could "only" get a dance with a 60 year old half cut woman in Jaks on friday night they could post to that effect - that might help reduce the cynicism and suspicion that the original post created.
    Cynicism and suspicion do not justify misrepresentation. "only got" is not the same as
    could "only" get
    I see no cause for cnyicism or suspicion in what Lory posted.

I have reported on this forum and to organisers views, especially those of beginners, that I know to be mistaken. The vast majority of those making such comments would never complain to the organiser or in writing. People often do not realise how others see things, and people are often too polite to say. A frequent example is groups of friends seen as a clique. Another, fortunately rarely heard, is beginners complaining that a venue is not friendly when they are basing their opinion on a short stay on their first night and on other shy and insecure beginners. Such rarely heard hearsay feedback is vital to organisers, because often the people with those views do not return, which is one reason it is rarely heard.

Kyle and Sarah were great teachers, I learnt just as much about teaching from them as I did about WCS.
    I thought they were fab teachers; great teaching, great control of the class and they came across as lovely people. I really enjoyed the two WCS workshops that I did and as for the cabaret,

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
    I am sure that none of us witnessed this, but hey...who ever he was...at least he kept the drunk old women occupied so that none of us had to dance with them.
    well it couldn't have been my mom she was locked in the shed.

Just got home from a very long day, 203 miles and 5 hrs due to an acident, + work to night, i'll try and so my bit tomorrow.

I can say there was no gossip

Quote Originally Posted by Agente Secreto View Post
    Mind you that version of Ravel's Bolero he played was probably the track that I had the most fun playing with all weekend - anyone know who recorded it?
    Angelique Kidjo (2007) I made a point of asking Roger as I loved it too

Review to follow when I have slept a little...

Commercial Operator

Ok I have had some sleep so I am now feeling a little more human and ready to add to this thread.

I went to this weekender with a very open mind. It isn't Southport at Skegness. It was always going to be very different and indeed it was.

Firstly the actual facilities were amazing. We had a three bedroom apartment that was warm , clean and welcoming. There wasn't a sticky carpet in sight. It was Bliss. Yes the apartment was right at the back of the site and I hold my hands up - I was one of the ones that drove back and forth. Hey after countless hours of dancing my poor achy feet were not up to walking anywhere plus it was bracing!

I adored Jaks. What an amazing venue. The atmosphere when we walked in on the Friday afternoon was fantastic and what a floor. Granted it was just a little lethal on the Friday but after that it was a dream. The best floor I have ever danced on. Mind you I do love to slide all over the place. I did end up seeing the floor close up at one point but if you are pushing and playing close to the edge on a very fast floor there is a good chance you are going to go down! As for it being seedy - I loved it and can't say I noticed. Umm maybe that says more about me.

Will not get drawn into the WCS/Blues debate. There is good, interesting music that lends itself to both styles. It was a new venue. It had a new feel and the DJ's were finding their feet. I am certain that by June the music will be sorted. Jaks is an awesome venue and when that music is finely tuned the place is going to be a dream. I can't wait.

Finally it was lovely to catch up with old friends and recieve so many hugs all over the weekend.

Can I just say thanks to everyone who has posted very detailed reviews. I know that this takes a lot of time and effort, especially when you are feeling shattered, but it really is appreciated. As this is the first ever week-ender at Skeggy and a lot of folk on this forum such as myself were not there there this sort of detailed feedback is especially interesting and helpful.

Keep those detailed reviews coming. Did anyone check out the possible scope for outside dancing in the summer?

This was my very first weekender and I'm not sure I can place it in one particular place on a scale. I did enjoy it but I feel that I expected something a little more

I'm a real lightweight - was always dead on my feet by 2am (ish) each night and wide awake by 9am and as a consequence missed the early hours which I had always heard to be the best part of a weekender. Mr Darcy on the other hand can wander in at 8am after having a great time and sleep all day

I spent Friday evening in Jaks but struggled with the floor, waaaay to fast for me with the addition of talc/sand. I found the music not quite to my liking early on, easy listening is a good description but overall not what I had been led to expect in the blues lounge. Later on though, I throughly enjoyed the sets.

Saturday was spent doing the WCS class which I loved. A pattern that was challenging to me but well taught. Kyle and Sarah controlled the class and were very entertaining whilst handing over tidbits of info that were very useful for the pattern and dancing in general. A little wander around the shoe and clothes stalls followed, purely an information gathering exercise you understand

Sunday afternoon I finally found my groove and managed to hold on to it until I bailed at 2am. Again in spent the majority of my time in Jaks with a brief foray into Reds.

I think I struggled in part because I had heard wonderous stories of past Southports and expected that it would happen in Skegness. We are booked again for June and I hope to find my groove far earlier and hold on to to it for far longer.

My sleep-deprived two penneth worth:

Accommodation - comfortable, clean, fabulous - it's all been said. 10 mins walk from the venues meant no popping back to change outfits, grab a slice of toast etc. Drove to venue for the majority of classes & dancing, except on Saturday night- 3 girls in hotpants & fishnets walking through Skyline (main concourse filled with slot machines and loitering teenagers) did feel slightly self-conscious.. I personally didn't enjoy sharing the resort with other holidaymakers. Felt like I was invading someone elses' holiday.

Being stuck 10 mins away also felt isolated - missed hearing the music and laughter from other chalets across the grass. Didn't seem to be any central place for people to eat and generally hang out other than in the seperate venues, but no doubt that will happen with time. Distance between venues also added to the feeling of separation, blue overshoes was an inspired solution but not particularly attractive, and it was a pain in the arse having to lug coats/bags etc from one place to another.

Reds floor was awful - shoes kept getting caught on tiles..

Overall I'd echo all the good stuff already mentioned, but for me it really lacked the atmosphere of Southport - too big and spread out for me and I will miss the intimacy of a smaller venue (but not the sticky carpets). I'll be back in June as I'm sure we'll se Skegness develop and grow, John & Wes always great to listen to demand (John mentioned shuttle buses would be operational for June). Brilliant job by both, Southport a really tough act to follow - I'm sure Skeggy will get there in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchginger View Post
    Angelique Kidjo (2007) I made a point of asking Roger as I loved it too

Its called Lonlon and on some sites they miss out the bolero ref but its on Itunes

Chrisu

Admin
    As those of you who read the pre-Skeg thread will know, I had a few dramas with getting a ticket. John sorted all of these out for me. I know all too well what a hassle individual punters are when you’re worrying about big organisational things, so this was very much appreciated.
    Butlins added some more drama. I was in a ‘share with a strang(l)er’ room with credit-card style keys. For the first 24 hours, every time one of us successfully used our key, the other key was deactivated. The security lodge and customer service desks knew my room number off by heart by Saturday evening.
    Jaks
    I didn’t spend very much time in here. I was just plain intimidated by the standard of the dancing! I like fast floors; I’m too lazy to lift my feet when dancing.
    Reds
    I don’t understand why there had to be heating and air-con at the same time. In my room when I arrived was a big pamphlet from Butlins explaining how they have reduced their carbon footprint. This surely creates a clown-boot of a footprint.
    Overall though, this is probably the coolest low-ceiling large room I’ve danced in. I’ve never been on a weekender before and brought back unused t-shirts.
    Volume in the treble region seemed a bit high on Sat night. Not sure if it was better on Sunday or whether deafness had set in.
    Temporary floors seem to be doomed to break apart after a weekend of abuse. Is there a material that can be laid over the tiles so that when the gaps emerge the edges aren’t quite so lethal?
    I knew I’d been in Reds too long on Sun night when The Saturdays’ “Up” got it’s 3rd play without me leaving the building.
    Arthur’s
    The DJ stand blocked a clear view of the stage for about 1/4 of the room. Easy enough to fix next time. The late night WCS slot in Arthur’s on Mon morning seemed really popular and the music in Jaks at the same time wasn’t identical. Progress!
    In my head I simplistically define WCS music as anything containing a mouth organ. By this yardstick, I’d say about 1/3 of the Jaks music was WCS style, based on the limited time I was there.
    When the water ran out here, the bar staff didn’t improvise like in Reds.
    Muggles
    Apart from insisting on paying for every piddling chocolate bar in the shop using their credit cards, I didn’t have any trouble with the non-dancers on site. I was half-expecting another “I can’t have fun while there are children around” rant on this thread. (Please don’t start one now in my honour.)
    Classes
    I think I prefer the 1 hour class format. Lots of the classes seemed rushed. If you’re going to fly in great dance teachers, let’s get our money’s worth out of them! Certainly, if classes are going to be 45 mins from now on, the breaks between them should be cut back to 15 mins.
    I did 13 classes in all. The best classes all seemed to be on Sun afternoon in Arthur’s. Usually this is a time when my brain has turned to mush.
    Travel
    The 1314 from Grantham to Kings Cross seemed to be packed full of dozing forumites. Let’s get a group discount next time!
    Security
    I’m impressed that the security actually watched the doors for the entire event. I was expecting them to vanish in the evenings, like the ones at other weekenders. They forcibly kept at least one drunken reveller from gate crashing.
    Dance rooms
    None of the 3 rooms seemed to get overcrowded in the evenings (is that what we were being counted in/out by security for?)
    Other potential venues
    I think another (smaller) room is needed to allow more class diversity and to provide a bit more music choice in the evening. Presumably that’ll push the price even higher though. The Centre Stage bar seemed to be empty most of the time when it wasn’t showing footie. It struck me as a more natural successor to the SP blues room than Jaks.
    The area in front of the kiddy stage in the Skyline building could also be used after midnight, maybe for a milonga. It’s an open area, but one roving security bod could keep the great unwashed at bay.
    No conspicuous places for a BBQ. I can’t see how this would work when there are non-dancers about anyway. Likewise I can’t see how you could put out decking and keep the non-dancers off of it.
    The morning Tai Chi class should be on the beach, weather permitting!
    Cabarets
    I think I preferred the improvised routines than the choreographed ones. I know I’m weird.
    I’d like to see at least one professional MJ routine at an MJ weekender please.
    Accommodation
    Hot water. Warm room. Clean sheets. Marvellous!
    About 350m from the dance venues in my case. I walked the length of the site out of curiosity; I estimate (with help from Google Earth) that the farthest point is about 1000m from the venues, at SP it’s about 300m, at Camber and Brean it’s about 500m. I wonder if J+W can bag the closer accommodation for next time.
    Summary
    Still work in progress I think. Most things in J+W’s control seemed to go right, but not surprisingly, there were some teething troubles. Some of my friends have booked for next time. I’m a sheep.

FM.

Thread Information