Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Skeggy - The Aftermath

Re: Skeggy - The Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Sorry Stewart, you're wrong! This person has absolutely nothing to do with Ceroc and you can guess as much as you like but I doubt very much you'd get it.
    Stewart, I think Lory as a moderator would never attach a comment that she knew was a plant. Her love of the Modern Jive / WCS scene is well documented, I believe her integrity is beyond question

Journey - Me and Gav left on Thursday night to drop the kids to my mum's in Clacton, then on to a B&B in Hunstanton. The snow was a nightmare and we didn't think we'd make it at one point but got there in the end. T'was all gone by the morning and we had a nice drive to Skegness.

Accommodation - We opted for the half board option mainly because we thought it would make a nice change not to have to cook and wash up. Although the food was very good, we really missed having self catering facilities. We basically had a bedroom and a bathroom - that's it. Eating dinner between 4 and 6pm was too early, especially as there were no places at all to get anything to eat after mid-night. We'll be going self catering next time.

Distance from your accommodation to the venue? - 5 minutes

Venues - Jaks (blues room) - great floor and small enough to be intimate and chat as well as dance. Nice

Reds - The floor was a nightmare. I kept catching my heels on it and nearly fell over a few times.

Distance between venues and was this an issue? - Yes. I suspect folk moved around less than they would at Southport or Camber as it's a right drag getting your coat on, changing shoes, etc. As a result we didn't see many people all weekend who we knew were there.

Other facilities - We used the Spa a lot over the weekend and really enjoyed it. You pay £15 for 2 hours in the pool, jacuzzi, etc and it was really nice and relaxing.

DJ's :

Dance Demon - Brillaiant as always
    Dr Chill - Lots of "I have to dance to this track" moments with your sets. Top marks
    Steve Joynson - Never heard of you before, but loved your sets (Sounds of Blackness - respect)

DJ's

Zebra Woman - I listened to your whole set on Friday night in Jaks and didn't like any of it. - 1 out of ten for the hat.
    TWK - Too weird, erratic and obscure. I've enjoyed your set's in the past though.
    Blue Shoes - Heard some of your set on Sunday night and didn't enjoy it. Maybe the bits I missed were better.

Would a BBQ be feasible for the summer? - Probably. There are open spaces, smaller but similar to Southport.

Any complaints - Only the floor in the main room.

Any Shocking gossip - Loads and loads. Love weekender gossip, it's always juicy and sensational.

and finally ... compared to the previous JA Southport's, how does it rate, as an overall experience - Tricky one. Skeggy is much nicer than Southport but I thought it was too big and spaced out. We are going in June but will probably take the kids as I found it hard mingling with families and not having my kids there. Me and Gav will take turns to babysit at night so we can get some dancing in.

I missed you all! - Sorry, Who are you again?

Finally A huge thank you to Jon and Wes who worked tirelessly to keep everyone happy. It's always evident that, even during the weekend, they are taking on board what people are saying and constantly trying their best to keep everyone happy and be pro-active. I will continue to support their weekenders and I'm looking forward to summer Skeggy and Gran Canaria.

One request please - More Lindy Hop lessons and a few sessions of Lindy Hop music please.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Stewart, I think Lory as a moderator would never attach a comment that she knew was a plant. Her love of the Modern Jive / WCS scene is well documented, I believe her integrity is beyond question
    So do I, but come on, did you see loads of half cut women in their 60s in the in the Jaks room

=======================

it didnt help that on Friday night in the blues room the only dances i got were with women in their 60's who were proud of telling me they were half-cut!
    =======================

I was at the far end of the complex, max was 4/5 min walk and if you didnt take a coat 3 mins. Driving to the venue pleaseeeeeeeeeee. Why not add the venue was so far from the chalet some caught the bus
    ==========================
    we were a good 10 to 15 mins walk from the venues- some people even drove from their rooms to the venue
    =======================

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Why is it 'utter nonsense' if people complain at a Jive event that there is too much WCS music ?? Its their opinion. Please also credit Jivers with a bit more savy then assuming they think a difficult track must imply a WCS track

I 'miss' the 'Chilled out music" we use to get that's all, I don't think I am alone but its become an old story.

Why cant we have 3 hrs of chill out music say from 3am to 6am, instead of one slow two fast etc

Jaks has great potential

The only Utopia event I went to was very up tempo I had expected more 'chilled music'.

Given the back ground and politics someone who does a lengthy post anonymously criticising the WHOLE event seems very strange
    What is utter nonsense is people assuming that a majority of tracks on friday were WCS tracks, anyone who has danced at WCS events here or in the states will testify that the music was not heavy on WCS music, in fact the proof would have been that most of the WCS crowd were not dancing to alot of the music! IMHO the quality of the music was the issue not the Genre, the bottom line is it is all very subjective, it is impossible to please everyone but as Zebra Woman showed it is possible to get the balance right!

Commercial Operator

I believe her integrity is beyond question
    (there isn't an "absofekkinglutely" smillie so that has to do.)

However, I question her judgement.

Lory is a moderator, granted... but if Joe Forum Punter were to post "here's what a mate said", I don't think it'd be well received. If someone has something to say on the forum, is it not right that they register, log in, then say something??

I don't want to derail the thread, so if anyone actually feels the need to reply, perhaps it becomes an off-shoot...

The old WCS/blues chestnut, huh?? As discussed in other threads, there are some WCS funky tracks that are perfectly danceable, even if U don't WCS, but are most certainly not bluesable. Danceable, but not bluesable.

As a rule, most people (who are not WCSers) go to a blues room to blues, not just to dance.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Given the back ground and politics someone who does a lengthy post anonymously criticising the WHOLE event seems very strange
    Its funny I didn't read it as being totally critical

Please read tese snippets again Stewart!

it was always going to be difficult as comparisons with Southport were going to be made automatically and John & Wes didn't have much of a choice really.

the good:

The accomodation - very clean, spacious
    Jaks the new Blues room was a bit too seedy
    Some people, will see this as a plus

there was either a very clicky Jaks
    Err Where have I heard that before Stewart??

it didnt help that on Friday night in the blues room the only dances i got were with women in their 60's who were proud of telling me they were half-cut!
    I don't think this was slagging the oposition off, I think it as just a personal problem.

The teachers were very good in the classes we did
    Simon & Nicole
    Amy & Peter
    Viktor - who is as slick & smooth as ever!
    My heart goes out to John & Wes as i know this isn't their fault and it was always going to be a toughie!
    For us who loves Southport it is a different matter, we left yesterday afternoon as we cudn't be bothered to wait until 11:30 on a Sunday night for main room jive.
    I think here they're pointing out that they couldn't report on how Sunday was

Im sure there are people who did enjoy their weekender and the last thing i want is for it to fail, but i'm just giving an honest objective opinion.
    Having said all that we are going to Blush @ Southport next month and despite all the politics and wondering if Ceroc can make it work we are really looking forward to goin back!
    [/COLOR]Now what do you think????
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

This is not intended as a personal dig at Lory and I can understand why she posted on someone else's behalf but I just feel uneasy about it and would feel so whether that feedback had been good, bad or indifferent. I actually thought posting on someone else's behalf was against forum rules but it's not (assuming the person isn't banned from the forum) Maybe the main issue I have with it is how can anyone debate the things that person has written if they are not here and available to respond?

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post

I think here they're pointing out that they couldn't report on how Sunday was

[/COLOR]Now what do you think????
    I think their teachers who havent been invited back

Anyway the post should be removed as others have said

Why would anyone post an anoymous thread if they have no intension of going back ?

I also wish to apologise for the use of the word cancer, clearly WCS is not a cancer. I just feel that Jive/WCS dont mix

Im not anti WCS and enjoyed the WCS class at Southport very much. why cant we have dedicated times /areas for WCS/Blues/Tango etc

You wouldn't want to dance two Tango songs then Show me the way to Amarillo surely ? Kind of lose the 'zone effect'

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    This is not intended as a personal dig at Lory and I can understand why she posted on someone else's behalf
    Let me clear this up... I DID NOT post this on behalf of anyone else. The sent me a personal message on Facebook and I thought it was an interesting and insightful review.
    I ASKED them if i could post it and they agreed but didn't want to get personally involved in any politics.

Anyway the post should be removed as others have said

Why would anyone post an anoymous thread if they have no intension of going back ?
    I do not believe quoting someone else is against the rules??

I'm sure i've quoted many people on all sorts of subjects before.

This was personal message sent to me on FB and I asked if i could post it, AFAIC its almost the same as reading it on another forum and quoting that!

I also wish to apologise for the use of the word cancer, clearly WCS is not a cancer. I just feel that Jive/WCS dont mix
    Yes, it was a discusting comparison!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Im not anti WCS and enjoyed the WCS class at Southport very much. why cant we have dedicated times /areas for WCS/Blues/Tango etc
    Stewart
    I am one of the dancers that dance WCS and Modern Jive on a regular basis, most of my friends who have started WCS have all most all given up MJ. I believe IMHO that there is enough music out their that can be danced by the MJ / WCS fraternity. The real issue here is the dance floor etiquette aswell as spacial awareness of the dancers. In my opinion both sets of dancers need to improve other wise some body will really get hurt

Is there any chance we could stop the witch hunt and get back to the point of this thread and get some more reviews on Skegness?

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

I 'miss' the 'Chilled out music" we use to get that's all, I don't think I am alone but its become an old story.
    It's a shame that you weren't in Jaks between about 8pm til 11pm on Sunday night then! Dr Chill and Dance Demon worked together to create the sort of set we used to adore at Southport. The problem with the music IMO is 'you can't please everyone!' I heard people complaining about too much wcs music, not enough wcs music, not enough Tango music, it was all new stuff, it was all the same old stuff! Good God, go make requests if you want something in particular! I personally enjoyed all Sat afternoon sets and those after 2am that night(I didn't venture out til then). I really enjoyed Sugarfoot and Toby's sets on the Sat afternoon, but without doubt, my favourite was the Sunday set I mentioned earlier. It was a shame that it was during my eating and sleeping slot though as it meant I delayed that til after 11 and then didn't make it back out again cos I fell asleep!
    I can't really report on Arthurs (eclectic room) or Reds (main room) as I only danced in Jaks, as I loved it so much. The floor on Friday night ,when we arrived, was dangerously slippy because some plonker had put talc down on an already slippy floor. The other two floors were put down by contractors and JA are aware of the problems with them so they can be sorted for next time.
    The accommodation was a very pleasant surprise and even the floor was comfy, eh Foxy?
    We had a double bedroom each, it was more of a mini flat than a chalet and the view from my window was of the sea about 100 metres away! The walk from the chalet was about 10 minutes, which seemed ages on the first trip but I got used to it and it meant that once out, I stayed out for about 6 hours at a time!
    Although the distance between venues is only short and there were shoe covers for those that wanted them, it did mean that there were people I didn't see at all over the weekend as I didn't feel the need to leave Jaks.
    Although I did walk into Reds during the WCS lesson and thought 'Ouch!' The Neon lighting was beautiful but too much for my tired eyes on a Sat afternoon! I heard it gave a great feel to the room at night though.
    A couple of us went for breakfast after dancing on Sunday morning, eat as much as you like for £6. Be careful of those chairs though they throw you off if you're too heavy, as Robd found out

The main downside to the whole weekend was that my bed was too comfy and it meant I missed 2 out of 3 nights dancing!! I made up for it during the day though.
    I wish I could make it in June but as it's my wedding anniversary it's looking unlikely but will definately be back in Sept for Jordan and Tatiana.

I, and many other posters, often post opinions we have heard. I see nothing wrong in Lory quoting them accurately.

Stewart
    I am one of the dancers that dance WCS and Modern Jive on a regular basis, most of my friends who have started WCS have all most all given up MJ. I believe IMHO that there is enough music out their that can be danced by the MJ / WCS fraternity. The real issue here is the dance floor etiquette aswell as spacial awareness of the dancers. In my opinion both sets of dancers need to improve other wise some body will really get hurt
    Although at least there was a lot more space than at Southport so it seemed less of an issue. The trouble was everyone seemed to dance at one end. The side by the entrance had plenty of room.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    I, and many other posters, often post opinions we have heard. I see nothing wrong in Lory quoting them accurately.
    But when this is done it is often because you, as the poster, are echoing or endorsing those views (or those views support a point you are making) and you will then be the person with whom those opinions are debated.

I don't think Lory has done anything WRONG, I am just saying it made me feel uneasy. I accept Lory's distinction about her post not being a case of 'posting on behalf' but the end result of their being a contribution to this thread that cannot really be further discussed (this IS a discussion forum after all) is the same.

I don't think Lory has done anything WRONG, I am just saying it made me feel uneasy. I accept Lory's distinction about her post not being a case of 'posting on behalf' but the end result of their being a contribution to this thread that cannot really be further discussed (this IS a discussion forum after all) is the same.
    I suppose the content of the anonymous comment can still be discussed or refuted in the same way as any other post - perhaps if there is anyone else on the forum who could "only" get a dance with a 60 year old half cut woman in Jaks on friday night they could post to that effect - that might help reduce the cynicism and suspicion that the original post created.

..... did you see loads of half cut women in their 60s in the in the Jaks room
    =======================
    Ooops - I was ill, honest

My review. Well, I have booked for June and for September which probably indicates my overall feelings about the weekend well.

Let's use Lory's template.

Journey - Fine for me. Had a travelling companion which always helps the journey to pass more easily. I knew the kind of roads we'd be hitting so I was prepared mentally for tootling along at 40 to 50 and it was fine. The A52 was closed for the return journey but the diversion didn't seem to add too many miles.

Accommodation

* Cleanliness - Very clean, accomodation was excellent

* Hot water - very hot!

* Cooking facilities - did not use them (BIG thanks to DS87 and his chalet mates for feeding me and providing good dinner time company - I hope to repay the favour at Brean) but what was there looked fine

* Distance from your accommodation to the venue? - the major culture shock compared with other weekenders (though Blaze had some vans that were in different postal zones as I recall ) Was a good 10 minute walk to and fro. Ideally I would prefer closer accomodation to the dance venues but you just adapt and instead of nipping back and forth all the time just plan on making two trips a day and staying for extended periods in the dance halls.

Venues

* Distance between venues and was this an issue? - all 3 venues were pretty close together (similar to Brean Sands with the Lunars room really) I just stayed in Jaks all the time so it's not really an issue relevant to me. If you liked popping to and fro between the different rooms at SP then, yes, this is less convenient though I think shoe covers were available.

* Timings of available dancing - fine for me but my weekends usually involve staying up all night, some daytime dancing and then resting in the early evening and coming out again around midnight so, again, for me personally not a concern.

* Size - Jaks got pretty crowded on the dancefloor at peak times and to JA's credit a section of chairs and tables were cleared on Sunday to create more space for dancing. They had the same issue at SP with the popularity of the Blues Room

* Floor - I only had one dance in Reds and that was in my socks so I can't really comment. I found Jaks OK but some people thought it too fast.

* Heat - fans - air-con etc - a wee bit hot in Jaks during Sat daytime due to reasonable outside temps and indoor lighting I think but generally no problems. Experience in Arthurs/.Reds may differ.

* Bars - efficiency and prices - now, I did get quite a lot of experience here (and certainly wasn't the only forumite to do so!) and feel well qualified to comment. I found the service pretty good, the bar (in Jaks) stayed open right through til we finished at 8.30ish Sun morning. £2.90 for a pint which is about the same as Pontins IIRC

* Seating - fine in Jaks

* Atmosphere? - such a personal thing I can only give my opinion and I found it OK. Not as high as some weekenders I have done in the past but better than others.

Restaurants

* Quality - went to the breakfast buffet when the music stopped Sun morning and had a full english plus toast and cereal and juice which was just the ticket. I provided great amusement for Cruella and Smiley Sue as I almost fell off my chair trying to reach my bag - I had that Italian Job 'Nobody Move!' moment

* Prices - £6 for all you could eat

* efficiency - Service was very helpful (though they do not hang around in terms of clearing your plates away)

Music - DJ's - Particularly enjoyed ZW on Sun afternoon and Dance Demon early Sunday morning. Disappointed to miss Lee and Tessa's sets and also don't think I heard anything from Dr Chill

Workshops - Didn't do any, not because I don't need them or couldn't learn a LOT from them (clearly I could) but because I have other priorities at weekenders.

Cabarets - Kyle and Sarah's Classic routine was the only one that I enjoyed. The second tango one was really weird, I keep thinking I must be missing something about it but it was so awkward and full of really ugly shapes and lines. IMO definitely not up to the standards of previous SP cabarets.

Any complaints? Yes, Lisa wasn't there to dance with. Missed on dances with a few others who were there that I enjoy dancing with but this happens at every weekender.

What could be improved on? I could do with being less of a lightweight. I never made it out on Sunday evening/Monday morning - the alarm kept going off and I kept pushing it back for 'just another hour' until it got to the point where I decided just to stay in bed. First time this has ever happened to me at a dance weekender. Yet, I still feel knackered now - what's going on with that?!

Any Shocking gossip??? There's ALWAYS some gossip!

and finally ... compared to the previous JA Southport's, how does it rate, as an overall experience??? Comparisons shouldn't be drawn. That era has passed, for better or worse. Skeg is here now and there were teething problems but also a lot of good stuff, sufficient, as I said at the top, to make me re-book for June and September. Ultimately a weekender is about the dancing and I had a few dances this weekend which were on a par with any at previous weekenders.

OK, my two-pence worth:
    • My main complaint was the floor in Reds - the white tiles were fine, but when they went into checkerboard, the joints caught myself and my partners quite a few times.
    • The floor in Jaks on Friday night was lethal - however, was better following nights.
    • Accommodation was clean and of the standard far, far superior to both Camber and Swish (but then, I hated the accommodation at Swish, so don't quote me on that!). We swapped with another part of our group, as I had my girl with me - and ended up in Silver room, and they got an appartment. Both served our needs - ours was 3 minute walk from the dance venues, so no probs checking up on little 'un at night. They had a well-stocked kitchen, LCD TV, 3 bedrooms, etc - fab place.
    • Thoroughly enjoyed both Friday and Saturday - have to say though, was staying in Reds most of the night. On Friday Jaks was good (even with the floor), but Saturday I prefered the Reds. Sunday couldn't stand the Jaks' music, spent the whole night in Reds, only went into Jaks for last 30 mins. Had the best 3 dances before going back to bed, so finished on huge high.
    • Following from that - last Southport I spent most of my time going between main and Latin rooms, as the blues room was full of WCS, and the floor was covered in spilled drinks - don't know what was more annoying . This time had no escape from WCS, Latin room was a disappointment, had 10 people dancing there or less some of the night - give that room to WCS, please!
    • Please give us the Blues room back - the chill out zone suggestion from 3 to 6 am would be fab (and much needed!). Yes, you still want SOME fast and funky, but mostly, I think everybody would appreciate more chill-out than work your butt off at 6 am.
    • Workshops - did 3. Keith and Bev's dips, drops and tricks was fab, I really enjoyed it - not many men would lead that in freestyle, but it was so much better than the same old, same old dips and drops we had in Camber/Southport for the last 2 years. Simon and Nicole's Jive Masters was quite challenging, but still very enjoable, and Waltz class was fun and easy to understand.
    • Other amenities - great! Pool was fab, took my girl swimming both Sat and Sun, slides, rapids, etc abundant and fun. Food hall well stocked, and not too expensive. Loved the pancake stall
    • Other issues mentioned before - didn't find mingling with other people to be a problem, as was mingling with a child myself during the day. Didn't do much dancing during the day, for the same reason. Music was definitely an issue at night. Walk wasn't. Missed the queuing. Didn't even know the Reds didn't open till late, as didn't venture out till midnight.
    • Have booked for both June and September, hopefully the teething problems will be solved by then. Looking forward to the next ones.
    Last edited by nebula; 16th-February-2009 at 08:31 PM.

Any Shocking gossip??? There's ALWAYS some gossip!
    Isn't there just
    and finally ... compared to the previous JA Southport's, how does it rate, as an overall experience??? Comparisons shouldn't be drawn. That era has passed, for better or worse. Skeg is here now and there were teething problems but also a lot of good stuff,
    I'm sure the first 'Southport' had teething problems too, it took time to evolve into the great weekender it was.
    Last edited by Cruella; 16th-February-2009 at 08:31 PM.

Thread Information