Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Skeggy - The Aftermath

Re: Skeggy - The Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by Amir View Post
    Judging by the amount of DJs who say they checked the volume, and the amount of people who complain that the music is too loud, it seems their current 'test' systems don't work.
    It might be partly because of the characteristics of track being played when they circuit the dance floor.

On a technological level I'm wondering if suitable sound volume sensors are really that hard to get / difficult to use.

Ideally the DJ's laptop would show volume levels from a few remote wireless sensors at all times, but even walking around with a hand held meter would avoid the need for the DJ to talk to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post
    I did this too in Jaks (a bit tricky in Reds) but it was all too easy to get lulled into a false sense of security in the "quiet zone" behind the decks.

How about a bit of easily recognisable sign language? If I see people covering their ears with their hands, I'll turn the volume down.
    Now I'll need infra red goggles to see what's going on out there in the dark venues...

Greg
    A nearly empty gap between the speakers and the nearest dancers is one clue I have seen missed by DJ's elsewhere.

DJ's seem reluctant to elevate speakers when they can, and to set them back on the stage, both of which give a more even volume across the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    It might be partly because of the characteristics of track being played when they circuit the dance floor.

On a technological level I'm wondering if suitable sound volume sensors are really that hard to get / difficult to use.

Ideally the DJ's laptop would show volume levels from a few remote wireless sensors at all times, but even walking around with a hand held meter would avoid the need for the DJ to talk to anyone.
    It is a project that I am working on, but it is very low on the priority list. I am working along the lines of very cheap devices that be spread around the room, perhaps clipped to curtains/pipes/whatever.

As has been said the acoustics of a full room and an empty one are different.

I find it odd, because with my strange hearing loss (frequency nerves), I'm usually the first to complain about the sound.

I didn't have a problem at all in Jaks.

Nor in Reds, come to think of it, but I was only chatting in there.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    DJ's seem reluctant to elevate speakers when they can, and to set them back on the stage, both of which give a more even volume across the floor.
    Difficult in Jaks. In house sound system speakers were wall mounted & pointing into the dancefloor IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    Difficult in Jaks. In house sound system speakers were wall mounted & pointing into the dancefloor IIRC.
    Are you saying that the in-house speakers were set up wrongly?

If you've just got two on the stage, there is not enough volume at the back, plus sound distortion, as at Ammersmiff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    Surely, this is the ideal - a few speakers mounted on walls dotted around the room and pointing at the dancefloor, not at tables and chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    If you've just got two on the stage, there is not enough volume at the back, plus sound distortion, as at Ammersmiff.

Surely, this is the ideal - a few speakers mounted on walls dotted around the room and pointing at the dancefloor, not at tables and chairs.
    That is the advice I have tended to believe. Systems installed in public halls tend to be set up by people with expertise and the right tools, though there are cowboys everywhere..

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I rather think you were

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I rather think you were
    Oh no I was'nt!

I was not there, I was making a general point about the DJ's in my neck of the woods.

Commercial Operator

No. I was saying that the in house speakers were wall or ceiling mounted and pointing onto the dancefloor.
    It's still possible to get the sound wrong with the most expensive high quality equipment. What happens is that you get different people all fiddling with knobs, some of whom don't really know what they are doing.
    At weekenders we get lots of "DJs" who only ever use other peoples kit or kit that is supplied. They know quite a lot about music, but not about the kit used to play it.
    We have other DJs who run their own events, and are used to setting up sound systems. Such DJs will know what line to plug their equipment into, be it lap top or otherwise, on occasions where they turn up and find that someone has disconnected the cable for laptops or ipods. They will also know how to set the balance between bass, treble and mid to get the proper sound, or set the equalizer on the deck if it has one. They will also have a good idea about how the kit works and will be able to get things up and running without too much fuss. They will also most probably have been into the rooms they are scheduled to DJ in and had a look at the kit in advance, so that they know exactly what they need when they arrive to set up.
    we were fortunate in Jaks a few times that Dr Chill was there, as he has a good technical knowledge, and helped a few people get the sound right.
    What would be ideal, would be a sound technician present at each DJ change over to get the sound right, and to solve any problems, and generally give guidance to those that need it.

Thread Information