Thread: RBS Six Nations 2009

RBS Six Nations 2009

I'd just like to say that today is a great day to be Welsh! I predict a Welsh tournament win. Maybe even a second Grand Slam in a row? Don't rule it out!

Re: RBS Six Nations 2009

As a genuine tribute to the Welsh rugby team may I just say

"My hen laid a haddock, one hand oiled a flea,
    Glad farts and centurions threw dogs in the sea,
    I could stew a hare here and brandish Dan's flan,
    Don's ruddy bog's blocked up with sand.
    Dad! Dad! Why don't you oil Auntie Glad?
    Can whores appear in beer bottle pies,
    O butter the hens as they fly!"

To anyone who thinks I've lost it completely: Don't worry. Barry will understand perfectly. He may even be right about the Grand Slam although Ireland and France are in good form.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    "My hen laid a haddock, one hand oiled a flea ..."

The sad thing is that one or two of the Welsh team might as well have been singing that at the start of the game. They completely messed up the words!

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    I'd just like to say that today is a great day to be Welsh! I predict a Welsh tournament win. Maybe even a second Grand Slam in a row? Don't rule it out!
    could have been a whole different score had england not given away so many penalties
    and how did england get sin bins when the welsh didint they both fouled in the same way ?

personally i think thats the best i have seen england play ( apart from the fouls) since they were on top form

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    could have been a whole different score had england not given away so many penalties
    True. But they did.

and how did england get sin bins when the welsh didint they both fouled in the same way ?
    I'm sure luck played a part, but in the case of England's first sin binning at least there was a clear infringement right in front of the referee almost immediately after he had given the England captain a clear warning that any more spoiling would result in a binning. I know that in rugby you try to get away with what you can, but to try it in front of the ref in those circumstances is just asking to be sent off.

personally i think thats the best i have seen england play ( apart from the fouls) since they were on top form
    Agreed. They played out of their skins and really made it difficult for Wales.

One thing that did rankle though, both at half time and after the game, was that the woman who was interviewing players and coaches for the BBC was only asking questions about England and waxing lyrical about England when there were two teams on the pitch and Wales were winning. Such bias is unacceptable when the programme is being broadcast in Wales as well as in England. Come to think about it, that was pretty much all the BBC panel could talk about afterwards as well, with the honourable exception of Jonathan Davies, who pointed out how daft that was. Unfortunately I was at the house of a friend who doesn't speak Welsh, so I couldn't just turn over to S4C and get the Welsh commentary.
    Last edited by Baruch; 15th-February-2009 at 12:13 PM.

I thought I saw two clear instances of playing a man without a ball that prevented England from turning over the ball. Right in front of the ref too, although not quite
    as bad as the incident which led to a penalty in last weeks game against Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    I thought I saw two clear instances of playing a man without a ball that prevented England from turning over the ball. Right in front of the ref too, although not quite
    as bad as the incident which led to a penalty in last weeks game against Italy.
    Wales had so much of the ball and territorial advantage that England had to make important tackles inside their own half and in dangerous situations on many occasions. I thought Wales also infringed in the tackle area but that it was the number of England offences in important areas that led to the sin binnings. As a personal view - England unlucky to get a second yellow so early in the second half. The ref clearly thought this the most important area on which to stamp his authority. I think the ref should have carded the Welsh player who ran into Armytage (as he collected a high ball in the air) with no attempt to challenge. That is dangerous play, I thought it was obviously deliberate, therefore the player should get a yellow.

Wales dominant, England with a good game plan (defend the centre hard and play some ball-in-hand rugby when in possession) which was executed well (Worsley excellent in defence; on the attack the decision to run or kick not always right but getting that right consistently is a sign of greatness and better what we saw than always kicking it away). From the Welsh point of view: excellent in winning loads of ball, really missing Williams to help turn all that possession and territory into tries so relying on penalties - a bit like England used to. Both sides capable of winning all their remaining matches but Ireland and France also capable of that. Should be interesting viewing for those of us who take an interest.

I was particularly pleased with Wales' line-out performance. In recent years, and even in our last few games, that's been the one area in which Wales have consistently failed to impress. Yesterday was a different story though, with Wales looking comfortably dominant at the line-out for the first time since I can remember.

As for England, they had really done their homework on our major ball carriers (Andy Powell and Jamie Roberts) and their defence was superb.

I've just watched the Italy-Ireland match. I sincerely hope we don't see many more games like that this year.

Ireland scored a few nice tries, but most of the game was characterised by a dreary trudge of poor scrummaging and persistent offending by both sides.

I felt really sorry for the referee who had to try and keep the game flowing (but failed miserably, as any referee would have done in those circumstances). I felt even sorrier for all the people who had spent good money on tickets to watch this anti-spectacle of a match.

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    One thing that did rankle though, both at half time and after the game, was that the woman who was interviewing players and coaches for the BBC was only asking questions about England and waxing lyrical about England when there were two teams on the pitch and Wales were winning. Such bias is unacceptable when the programme is being broadcast in Wales as well as in England. Come to think about it, that was pretty much all the BBC panel could talk about afterwards as well, with the honourable exception of Jonathan Davies, who pointed out how daft that was. Unfortunately I was at the house of a friend who doesn't speak Welsh, so I couldn't just turn over to S4C and get the Welsh commentary.
    personally i could not agree with you more

and wales did deserve the win i think overall it was an excalent game which was played hard by both sides
    that was the best i have seen england play for a very long time
    to be honest it doesnt matter to me who won just that both teams put in a huge amount or work and tried their hardest which made it worth watching

So much for the hopes of another Welsh Grand Slam this year.

Thread Information