Thread: Geert Wilders

Geert Wilders

I just watched, aghast, a BBC online clip in which Wilders read the letter he had received from the Home Office saying that his presence in the UK would 'threaten community harmony and therefore public security', and that therefore he would not be permitted to enter the country.

Wilders is a Dutch MP and made the controversial film Fitna, in which quotes from the Koran and statements by modern Moslem leaders are interspersed with footage of atrocities committed and allegedly committed by Moslems. (Fitna can be found on the web, though I haven't looked for it recently.)

It is propaganda, without a doubt. It may cross the line of reasonableness. But it's nothing that an adult should be forbidden from seeing and making up his or her own mind about.

I was so incensed that I've gone to the No. 10 website and put up a petition. I don't know whether it will be put up - there's a filtering process - but I'll let you all know if it is.

Wilders said he was coming anyway and was detained at (presumably) Heathrow and told he will be sent straight back to Holland.

I think the decision is utterly indefensible. What does everyone else think?

What do people think?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Geert Wilders

sounds like a kick in the teeth for freedom of speech...again! It seems it is easier to silence a foriegner. Luckily for society, its harder to get away with that at home. Remember the attempt to silence channel 4 for the Dispatches programme, saying it had been "heavily edited" so the meaning of 3 featured preachers was "completely distorted"; they were shown "calling for homosexuals to be killed, espousing male supremacy, condemning non-Muslims and predicting jihad." However, Ofcom found that the programme "dealt with the subject matter responsibly and in context", and the police had to apologise and "pay six-figure libel damage". So sometimes, "they" (whoever makes such policy) don't always get away with it.

That story here

I agree, the moslem whingeing about religious freedom is a nuisance.

But this is something I'd like to steer clear of those choppy waters - it's quite simple; the guy isn't denying the holocaust, he's not recommending people kick old ladies to death, and OK he might be the target for some extremists and need protecting but hell, we do that for US presidents routinely - and the one they've had for the last 8 years is a damn sight more repellent than Wilders.

I am siding with Voltaire on this one –“ I may disapprove of what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it”.

I don’t like his views they are not balanced and represent a minority of Muslims in this country but he has the right to say it and others have the right to argue and protest against him

Thread Information