Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Conspiracy theories

Re: Conspiracy theories

A wise man once said 'yeah well, you can prove anything with facts'

I've probably mentioned this before on here but I spoke to a 911 conspiracy theorist once who thought 'even the most skilled pilot' couldn't fly an airliner into something the size of the WTC.

I am not moving my views on the good character of Andrew Wakefield, so unfortunately, to that extent I am a nutter (though that is no surpise admission as there is plenty more evidence if you seek it!). By the way you apparently missed the earlier quote that Mr Obama has appeared to have an open mind on this subject, and therefore there is perhaps a need to consider side effects more seriously once again, and not keep asserting "there is no link" when a court in the US has apparently made a partial admission.

Anyway, all that is far to serious when so much fun is being had by all concerned from what I can see.

It is time therefore for a new thought or two regarding evolution, and Charles Darwin (I've read Voyage of the Beagle and been to Down House, where he lived and carried out many experiments, so can consider myself a "forum expert" on the subject?). Anyway, new knowledge is coming to light all the time obviously, and some scientists have discovered that two genetically identical individuals can exhibit completely different genetic diseases depending upon the level of stress experienced in the womb. This opens up the possiblity that characteristics may not always be due to whatever genetic material we carry, but there is a process of "learning" going on too, being passed between the generations.

So, our two left feet when we are dancing could be due to one of our ancestors having tripped over a Dodo, or something like that, rather than having clumsy awkward movement as we'd always supposed! What a good job you can still do okay at Ceroc with two left feet by the way!

An Eclectic Toaster

Re: Obama still gives me the creeps

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    If he wanted to create the universe, why do it via a Big Bang and then wait 14 billion years before you need to redeem mankind by creating your own son and then sacrificing him to yourself so that you will forgive your own creations for behaving precisely as was determined by the way you created them...something like the Bible makes more sense. But then you have to cope with the fact that he created a universe which gave every indication of not being created and no indication of a creator...
    Remember Barry, that's what the "Ah, but God works in mysterious ways" get-out-of-jail-free card is for...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Have a "time out" DS...those goal posts you are moving must be doing your back in.
    moving goalposts? you made the statement that you can't back up with ANY evidence :tongue:

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    :tongue:
    Best offer I've had this week.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    A wise man once said 'yeah well, you can prove anything with facts'
    Should I be worried that I immediately identified that as a Homer Simpson quote without ever having heard it?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    I've probably mentioned this before on here but I spoke to a 911 conspiracy theorist once who thought 'even the most skilled pilot' couldn't fly an airliner into something the size of the WTC.
    Oooh, I wonder if there's any conspiracy theories yet about the US Airways Flight 1549 and the Hudson River landing?

I mean, 1549? That's got to be a suspicious number in some way, right?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grahamg View Post
    I am not moving my views on the good character of Andrew Wakefield
    Out of interest, what would it take for you to move your views? Him being struck off? Him being sent to jail? What?

Or can you simply not conceive of the possibility that he's not a saint? And if you can't, can you maybe reconsider your "open mind" comment?

. By the way you apparently missed the earlier quote that Mr Obama has appeared to have an open mind on this subject,
    Obama's not a medical expert, and he's not the source of all wisdom. Blimey, he can't even pick a Treasury Secretary who pays their taxes on time.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    I think the 'cold war' wasn't real
    There is that Consiracy Theory.

Some say the Cold War was a hoax.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    There is that Consiracy Theory.

Some say the Cold War was a hoax.
    Funnily enough, Planetary has a take on that one too...

Commercial Operator

rubbish...Dogs don't float
    They do if you stuff them with ducks. Case proven

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    A witch! A witch! Burn 'er !!!

Lets not allow the Andrew Wakefield situation come between us.

There is nothing left to discuss as I'm quite happy to believe the side effects that are admitted are enough for people to be concerned but that concern can be overcome by sensibly weighing up the benefits. I haven't got a child that's about to be vaccinated (so far as I know) so am only taking a casual interest really, and the one child I admit to was born before the MMR was first produced and made available. She is now a doctor though, and I would expect her to be as diligent her job as any good doctor and yet prepared to stand up to authority should a good reason arise. Are you a doctor by the way (or the father of one! Bit of snobbery coming out there, sorry)?

It would be a real pity if this got in the way of all the wonderful conspiracies being dreamt up - can't we conclude this is another one, for the sakes of argument (or have you already done that)?

I agree Obama isn't medically trained, but suspect his emphasis on the need for "truth" in Americas dealings and government may mean he is prepared to listen and that phantom weapons of mass destruction conspiracy theorists for example lose their jobs more quickly than under previous administrations.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    So Andystyle is a nutter then?
    ...well, that one went right over my head. I've avoided the use of 'nutter' so far.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Should I be worried that I immediately identified that as a Homer Simpson quote without ever having heard it?

Oooh, I wonder if there's any conspiracy theories yet about the US Airways Flight 1549 and the Hudson River landing?

I mean, 1549? That's got to be a suspicious number in some way, right?
    Yes.

Can't place it now but I read some idiot's blog in which he claimed that the name of the airline had 'obviously' been photoshopped into the photographs, that the wings of an aircraft (you know, those things that support the fuselage, 100s of passengers, the luggage, additional cargo, and several dozen tons of fuel) weren't strong enough to support the dozen or so people pictured standing on the wing waiting to be rescued...other brain-out-the-nose foolishness.

Lets not allow the Andrew Wakefield situation come between us...
    Is it me, or have you just mentioned your attitude to Andrew Wakefield in two successive posts without anyone else having brought up the subject..?

Did you think he was a nice guy, or have you spotted that he is an unprincipled fraudulent thieving liar and conman, and a dangerous nuisance to boot?

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Errr, it's a moon actually, I can't think where they got the name for it from though...

It could even be called a satellite, but by no stretch of the imagination could it be called a star.
    Yeah, you are right as usual Gav, the moon is a moon or the earth's satellite.

The sun is a star though. Neither are planets.

So, to clear up:

• Diana died in an accidental car crash.
    I'm not sure if it was an accidental one.
    • The MMR vaccine does not cause autism.
    This is not a conspiracy theory IMO. It should be relegated to the "Pharma/alternative medicine/superstitious nonsense" (Barry's words)" thread.[quote]
    Its rather worrying that you know the mind of the Islamic terrorists so well.
    It was in a newspaper. Apparently, according to the newspaper, the terrorists want to kill as many westerners as possible. If Obama keeps a cool head, they will not have as many opportunities to kill Westerners.

61 ? Where did they claim they landed in 61 ?
    My mistake

Colour me stupid, but I kinda thought it was a moon.
    It is,

There are people that believe "The Clangers" was a documentary (which it was of course).
    Last edited by Astro; 9th-February-2009 at 08:40 PM.

Out of interest, what would it take for you to move your views? Him being struck off? Him being sent to jail? What?

Or can you simply not conceive of the possibility that he's not a saint? And if you can't, can you maybe reconsider your "open mind" comment?

Obama's not a medical expert, and he's not the source of all wisdom. Blimey, he can't even pick a Treasury Secretary who pays their taxes on time.
    Is this what you are looking for Barry?

Sorry, I am not going to buy into this at all, lets leave it there. We don't have to agree do we, and it doesn't matter a tuppenny **** what either of us think does it, as we're not medically trained.

Please continue to ignore any information I brought before you which doesn't fit with your ideas, and return to more imaginative thinking on conspiracy theories and theorists we all want to hear about I'm sure.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure if it was an accidental one.
    Nutter

This is not a conspiracy theory IMO.
    Double nutter

It should be relegated to the "Pharma/alternative medicine/superstitious nonsense" (Barry's words)" thread.
    No, because all the True Believers fit into the "conspiracy nutter" mindset - that is, people who simply won't consider the evidence; they know what they know, and they won't consider changing their opinion.

I'll ask you what I asked grahamg - are there any circumstances in which you'd change your mind? Or would you always think "Well, there must be something in it", no matter what?

If you answer "No" and "Yes" respectively to those two questions, then you're in the conspiracy-theory mindset. Your mind is not open, it's closed.

Now, I'll admit I had my concerns about MMR, up until around 2001-2002; the government's health record wasn't good (remember this was post-BSE), and it worried me. But in my defence, that was before most of the stuff about the flawed and falsified research came out, and before we had a chance to digest all the information available.

I did so, and I changed my mind - based on the evidence.

Would you do the same?

...It is time therefore for a new thought or two regarding evolution, and Charles Darwin (I've read Voyage of the Beagle and been to Down House, where he lived and carried out many experiments, so can consider myself a "forum expert" on the subject?). Anyway, new knowledge is coming to light all the time obviously, and some scientists have discovered that two genetically identical individuals can exhibit completely different genetic diseases depending upon the level of stress experienced in the womb. This opens up the possiblity that characteristics may not always be due to whatever genetic material we carry, but there is a process of "learning" going on too, being passed between the generations...
    http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/history/lamarck.html

It occurred to me long ago that some mechanism that transferred information about how the body was getting along back to the DNA would be highly beneficial, and could therefore be expected to evolve.

The body makes extensive use of ribonucleic acid which is part of the mechanism by which DNA works. To me there seems to be plenty of scope for a feedback mechanism. I suspect and hope that Lamarck might eventually be proven at least partially right.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    rubbish...Dogs don't float
    You should get a job, or a hobby that doesn't involve stuffing animals with other animals

Thread Information