Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Conspiracy theories

Re: Obama still gives me the creeps

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    If you provide ONE link as evidence that man made climate change is real and significant , 200 rep points on the way

Please dont give me a link of a Polar bear swimming to an ice flow or show me how Florida could look in 75 years time if sea levels rose by 200ft etc

climate change is real but i seriously doubt man burning fossil fuels has much to do with it (i do agree if possible we should stop burning fossil fuels mainly due to the fact theres not a lot of them left) although cutting down rain forests doesnt help matters very much.

The two main reasons we hear so much about this being the case is that one it makes great press and two the governments of this world are having a field day taxing us o the hilt because we are so gulible and believe it

we are currently coming out of an ice age which is a natural cylce that the planet earth goes through and as such there is very little us as totally insignificant beings can do to change matters

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Pah, you obviously haven't read Planetary.
    You are mistaken, Sir - I have indeed read Planetary, but I dismissed most of it as conspiracy theory. Albeit a lot more credible than many of those expounded on this thread

Now - if only they'd get a move on and release the final part so I can find out how it all ends
    Last edited by straycat; 9th-February-2009 at 12:50 PM.

Re: Conspiracy theories

The astronauts had cameras fixed to their chests, they had to much work to do to have them slung over their shoulders on a strap and pull them around and into their hands to take pictures like tourists do...so you wouldn't necessarily see an astronaut holding a camera to his face like David Bailey...

If the lander's main rocket motor was still under full power when the lander touched down, the astronauts would have been in deep, deep ****. It would have been what is popularly known as 'a collision'. There would indeed have been a large crater and the lander and crew would have been splashed all over the bottom of it. The purpose of the motor was to slow the descent so that, at the moment of touch down, all that was necessary was very minor adjustments.

And yes, the take off of the ascent stage of the relevant Apollo LM was filmed by a robot camera.

I mean, the theory just doesn't hang together. Billions of dollars on an unbelievable, 7 year long program of fake moon landings and nobody involved noticed that there was no-one left on the 'surface of the moon' to operate a camera? It's fatuous.

Oh, and:

Yes.
    Blimey. I thought I was going to have to post that.

So, let's be clear:
    - [Andrew Wakefield] lied about his research findings.
    - He was being paid quite a lot to lie about his research findings
    ...and he's since been earning shedloads of money pandering to wealthy American halfwits (step forward, Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carrey) who think that a 'mommy's instinct' is a better basis for determining paediatric health policy than hundreds of scientific studies carried out over a 20 year period and from all over the planet.

you can't persuade people like that because they'll always attack the evidence that disagrees with their point of view,
    Hmm, sounds like a lot of the dance related discussions on here.

So, to clear up:
    • The Moon landings were real. All of them.
    • Diana died in an accidental car crash.
    • Evolution is how humans came about
    • 6 million Jews were murdered by the Nazis
    • The USA has indeed engaged in torture under the Bush administration
    • Tango is a painfully dull and overrated dance form
    • Man-made climate change is real and significant
    • Smoking causes cancer
    • The MMR vaccine does not cause autism

These are not areas where it's acceptable to have an "open mind", if you don't accept these then you're either not well-informed, or irrational.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I for one welcome our new godlike overlords.
    Is that a fancy new name for moderators?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    i do agree if possible we should stop burning fossil fuels mainly due to the fact theres not a lot of them left
    I love it when you lot quote "facts" at us.
    Who told you that particular "fact"?
    There's a huge supply of coal just waiting to be mined. The reason we stopped mining it was because oil became cheaper, not because it was running out!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sounds believable.
    Far more so than the average conspiracy theory. I mean, Planetary's got pictures and everything, it must be true.

But, why so negative? I'm the sure the presence of godlike beings can only be a good thing (invasion? liberation you mean). I for one welcome our new godlike overlords.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    You are mistaken, Sir - I have indeed read Planetary, but I dismissed most of it as conspiracy theory.
    Hah, that's what they want you to think.

Now - if only they'd get a move on and release the final part so I can find out how it all ends
    Yes, the delay's strange, isn't it? One might almost think it's a cons- err.....

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    I love it when you lot quote "facts" at us.
    Who told you that particular "fact"?
    There's a huge supply of coal just waiting to be mined. The reason we stopped mining it was because oil became cheaper, not because it was running out!
    Yeah, but we'll never have to use coal, because the oil is being replenished by chemical processes in the Earth's mantle. It's called abiotic oil, and those damn Arabs/Russkies/oil companies keep it secret* just to keep the prices artificially inflated. The truth is here.

*In the glove compartment of the water-powered electric car.

I do enjoy a good conspiracy theory. Ironically a namesake of mine has his own conspiracy theory website which got me interested in them.

One of the more recent ones I have been reading up on is that of the "Aurora Project".

While I don't believe that UFOs are aliens, I certainly do believe they exist!!

Which "plenty of forumites" are you talking about here ? Is it Barry? I always suspected...
    I'm at work today can't join in the discussion (hears sigh of relief) and I haven't got time to go through all the religious threads that have come and gone, but I found this...

Originally Posted by andystyle
    "Evolution, in my view, is how God created everything on the earth and moulded them into the shape they are today. There's a theory that the 7 days of creation in Genesis are indeed 7 eras, which would give God a bit more time to play with and for evolution as we understand it to work."

I'm sure Barry could point the finger at a fair few others who have said similar. Of course, no one will actually say in this thread "I don't believe in evolution, it's all Gods work", cos they'll get called a nutter. probably by me.

Blog Entries

I don't believe in evolution, it's all Gods work",

had to be done didn't it.!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    I don't believe in evolution, it's all Gods work
    Nutter!

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I'm at work today can't join in the discussion (hears sigh of relief) and I haven't got time to go through all the religious threads that have come and gone, but I found this...

Originally Posted by andystyle
    "Evolution, in my view, is how God created everything on the earth and moulded them into the shape they are today. There's a theory that the 7 days of creation in Genesis are indeed 7 eras, which would give God a bit more time to play with and for evolution as we understand it to work."

I'm sure Barry could point the finger at a fair few others who have said similar. Of course, no one will actually say in this thread "I don't believe in evolution, it's all Gods work", cos they'll get called a nutter. probably by me.
    It just goes to show that when the faith-heads roll out the 'goddunnit' explanation, all bets are off. Since he can do anything any way he likes and as quickly or as slowly as he likes, then they can say evolution is merely god nudging DNA mutation this way and that so that he can end up with human beans.

It seems a spectacularly pointless way of doing it: rather like a universe-sized Heath Robinson gadget - you know, the 89-element machine for toasting bread. (I can't cite a URL because apparently his daughter has decided that she can make more money from her father's work if it is completely utterly absent from the internet. Even Wikipedia can only muster a wholly unrepresentative example. He died in 1944 so she's only got another 10 years and then it's a free-for-all.) If he wanted to create the universe, why do it via a Big Bang and then wait 14 billion years before you need to redeem mankind by creating your own son and then sacrificing him to yourself so that you will forgive your own creations for behaving precisely as was determined by the way you created them...something like the Bible makes more sense. But then you have to cope with the fact that he created a universe which gave every indication of not being created and no indication of a creator...
    Last edited by Barry Shnikov; 9th-February-2009 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    It just goes to...
    So Andystyle is a nutter then?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So Andystyle is a nutter then?
    Whilst bearing in mind the Forum Rules about politeness, I have to say that if someone came up to me and said - for example - "I believe humans and dinosaurs co-existed", then I'd certainly back away quite slowly...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

but I found this...

..which would give God a bit more time to play with and for evolution as we understand it to work."
    um...so in answer to...

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble
    there are plenty of forumites that would dismiss evolution due to there religious beliefs.
    you pick a quote from someone who clearly DOES NOT dismiss evolution due to their religious beliefs but actually embraces it completely ?

Maybe I'll ask again, is there ANY evidence to support your assertion that "plenty of forumites" ..."dismiss evolution" ? or hey, lets go for ANY forumites

Commercial Operator

The thing is - Darwin's 'five year voyage' in the Beagle was actually faked. He never went, and instead was hidden away for those five years and forced by the government of the time to invent his 'theories', and to falsify the evidence supporting them. The aim was to undermine the position of influence that the Church held over the common people of the day.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

The thing is - Darwin's 'five year voyage' in the Beagle was actually faked. He never went, and instead was hidden away for those five years and forced by the government of the time to invent his 'theories', and to falsify the evidence supporting them. The aim was to undermine the position of influence that the Church held over the common people of the day.
    rubbish...Dogs don't float

stuff

Have a "time out" DS...those goal posts you are moving must be doing your back in.

Thread Information