Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pontins Investing £50m (the future of Camber & Southport)

Re: Pontins Investing £50m (the future of Camber & Southport)

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    I think they are referring to the events that have bookings (Bliss, Storm & Blush)
    That's a relief, do love these weekends, not ready to give them up yet. Now it's in the hands of Administration, maybe that will call a halt to the redevelopment, hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    That's a relief, do love these weekends, not ready to give them up yet. Now it's in the hands of Administration, maybe that will call a halt to the redevelopment, hope so!
    The job of the Administrators is to maximise the return to the creditors (this is a quite well defined legal role that they have to perform to the best of their ability). They typically do this by negotiating to restructure the debt and then to sell the entire business as a single going concern, by selling parts of the business as going concerns (so selling each park separately), or by closing the business down and selling the assets (the land and buildings, in this case). Whatever decisions they take have to be in the best interests of the creditors.

So the administrators are likely to halt major investment in the parks. However, if they make it insolvent, then it will cease to operate entirely. And there's no knowing what the new owners will do, but I think Pontins was struggling to turn an operating profit, so they needed to do something improve it's operating performance (which the investment was intended to do). Either way, I'd expect to see some substantial changes - but it's hard to say what they will be.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Someone will take it on. It has had 8 different owner in the last ten years anyway apparently

The Dashing Moderator

I think the main problem is the chalets.

I put up with them because I know there's fab dancing to be had, but few people would claim they're great, especially in the cold weather.

And that makes it difficult to sell Pontins to people - for instance Watchdog were at one of the sites (Camber?) a few weeks ago, showing how grotty they are.

So I can't see Pontins increasing their business without substantial refurbishment of the chalets... but that is going to take a lot of capital (hence the £50m in the original post on this thread, I guess).
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    I think the main problem is the chalets.

I put up with them because I know there's fab dancing to be had, but few people would claim they're great, especially in the cold weather.

And that makes it difficult to sell Pontins to people - for instance Watchdog were at one of the sites (Camber?) a few weeks ago, showing how grotty they are.

So I can't see Pontins increasing their business without substantial refurbishment of the chalets... but that is going to take a lot of capital (hence the £50m in the original post on this thread, I guess).
    I agree the chalets are outdated and can be cold and very basic but that does not necessitate the sort of renewal programme they were going for and could be done in a section at a time as opposed to flattening the lot and rebuilding.

In my opinion the worst site was Brean with the worst chalets but that was not being touched

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

If it was the one I saw then it was Combe Haven in Hastings, a caravan park owned by the Haven group.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    If it was the one I saw then it was Combe Haven in Hastings, a caravan park owned by the Haven group.
    It was definitely a Pontins. I'm sure they mentioned them by name, and there's no mistaking those curtains...
    Love dance, will travel

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

It was definitely a Pontins. I'm sure they mentioned them by name, and there's no mistaking those curtains...

Was a different one to what I saw then (this week I think) which was about the Haven sites

Pontins in administration

It must have been all that money they spent on luxury warm accomodation, soft new carpets and cleaning, Ceroc have sent out reasuring email saying all is OK, one lives in hope

They covered all the "Stay-cation" suppliers including Haven and Pontins.

Strangely the Pontins report wasn't as scathing as I thought it could be. It just talked about it looking a bit shabby ( wow, never noticed that before), one chalet suffering from a bit of damp, and that the cleaning wasn't great.

One of the chalets they looked at was a bit concerning - they found 3 amphetamines under the sofa. I could just hear all these dancers complaining "I've been going to weekenders for years and I never had amphetamines under MY sofa! I feel short changed!"

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Fi View Post
    It just talked about it looking a bit shabby
    I don't know what they're talking about I mean, what's WRONG with this carpet?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post

It takes years of loving attention to get it that good,

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NickC View Post
    It takes years of loving attention to get it that good,
    The funny thing was (and I swear this is the absolute truth), I did complain about it and they actually offered to send someone round to shampoo it

I just stood there in amazement and said, erm, i don't think you understand
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

The funny thing was (and I swear this is the absolute truth), I did complain about it and they actually offered to send someone round to shampoo it

bless

Looks a bit beyond shampooing - just think how many feet have walked on that there piece of carpet tho, and of course all the action it has seen

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

At the last JA Southport, one of our dancers got a room that looked like someone had been murdered in it. Blood everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    At the last JA Southport, one of our dancers got a room that looked like someone had been murdered in it. Blood everywhere.
    Didn't know the scraps between John and Wes got that bad

Quote Originally Posted by geoff332 View Post
    The job of the Administrators is to maximise the return to the creditors (this is a quite well defined legal role that they have to perform to the best of their ability). They typically do this by negotiating to restructure the debt and then to sell the entire business as a single going concern, by selling parts of the business as going concerns (so selling each park separately), or by closing the business down and selling the assets (the land and buildings, in this case). Whatever decisions they take have to be in the best interests of the creditors.

So the administrators are likely to halt major investment in the parks. However, if they make it insolvent, then it will cease to operate entirely. And there's no knowing what the new owners will do, but I think Pontins was struggling to turn an operating profit, so they needed to do something improve it's operating performance (which the investment was intended to do). Either way, I'd expect to see some substantial changes - but it's hard to say what they will be.
    We picked this one up and are working with KPMG

Fair summary

The funny thing was that I don't remember the programme picking up anythign like that. I genuinely laughed out loud when the presenter talked about the furniture being "a bit shabby and dated". The fact door had holes kicked in them, some chalets smelling of urine, or the aforementioned blood (the mind boggles) didn't come into it. Just shabby furniture and hoovering that needed to be improved.

Really you could say that about most student accomodation!

Thread Information