Thread: Stokies Great Ideas #87: I can't Lindy... let's go to a Lindy weekender!!

Cool Stokies Great Ideas #87: I can't Lindy... let's go to a Lindy weekender!!

We have just got back from DJam09. A Lindy weekender was quite a departure for us, as neither of us have ever danced Lindy before. But, hey, why let that stand in the way of a good time! Twirlie Bird can follow, and I can lead... what could possibly go wrong? As it happened... nothing *phew*

DJam09 was held in Durham, so it's quite a trek for us to get there and back. But we learned loads, and just had the most amazing time!!

Firstly, there's 'Lindy music'. This seems to fall in to two different types. Music with really loud trumpets, and music with loud trumpets. There was a live big band, but unfortuanately we missed them - so we didn't get to hear the really loud live trumpets .

OK, that's the music, next up are the Lindy dancers! Ummm... wow!! I cannot recall the last time I saw so many musical dancers gathered on one dance floor! All playing with the melody, jumping all over the rhythm, dodging the trumpets and most remarkably of all... they were having so much flippin' fun! I sat for ages at a time watching the way they were moving to the music, seeing how they were picking out certain parts, then working through stuff together with it. Beaming smiles and laughter littered the dance floor track after track after track.

The cabraret at midnight on Saturday was cool. One of the 'turns' consisted of two couples (both were pairs of teachers from DJam) doing a syncronised double routine to a very fast trumpet track. It was manic!! Then at the end one of the dancers turned to Straycat (yes, the same one who graces these hallowed halls) and said "I wanted it pitched 10% slower... not 10% faster!" Of course the whole room roared with laughter as poor Andy slinked down behind his laptop screen with a wry smirk. I am sure he didn't do it on purpose...... but the end result was spectacular!! In fact it was so spectacular that it knocked the free cake into second place! When I say cake... I don't mean polite slivers... we're talking CAKE! Great big whopping slabs of double chocolate cake. I know that Durham is an old industrial town, these were certainly industrial sized portions! Just what you need for that added kick of carbs and sugar ready for the next three hours of dancing!

After the high speed trumpet cabaret and cake we were treated to a blues set right up to 3am. OMG!! Just.. OMG!! What an amazing blues set! Simply inspired

Then we all toddled off to bed to get some rest. Sunday was chilled out. A workshop preceeded the tea dance and pretty much everyone from the class stayed on to dance to the trumpets (more mellow trumpets of course as it was a tea dance). The atmosphere at the tea dance was so warm and friendly, chatter and laughter drifting over the top of the trumpets was the order of the day. With people just getting on the floor and jamming together to the music. Sublime.

If you're looking for something different. If warm, freindly, musical dancers, float your boat - then you're looking for DJam10. Joo-Lee and Andy have built a fantastic weekend of dance in Durham. If you live near by, get to one of their weekly classes or look out for freestyles.

P.S. Did I say... there were trumpets

Re: Stokies Great Ideas #87: I can't Lindy... let's go to a Lindy weekender!!

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Beaming smiles and laughter littered the dance floor track after track after track.
    Yes, but seeing people dance Lindy, surely it's hard not to laugh?

* ducks for cover *

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post

* ducks for cover *
    no that when your watching WCS

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,

Personally, I think Lindy looks a million times nicer than Modern Jive and as for WCS - shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, arm jive, shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, return, shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, attitude, shuffle, shuffle, oh you get the idea.

IMHO any dance that is done well is worth watching with the exception of Morris dancing, sorry Morris

Blog Entries

Yep. The fact that everyone dancing is grinning from ear to ear and having fun is infectious isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    no that when your watching WCS
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    as for WCS - shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, arm jive, shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, return, shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, attitude, shuffle, shuffle, oh you get the idea.
    At risk of derailing Stokie's thread I should point out that my post wasn't to be taken seriously.

Interesting that some people think that digging at WCS is the way to respond to a crack at a different style, especially when they are people who either can't dance WCS but keep asking if they are or who have at least tried it and found they can't do it

At risk of derailing Stokie's thread I should point out that my post wasn't to be taken seriously.

Interesting that some people think that digging at WCS is the way to respond to a crack at a different style, especially when they are people who either can't dance WCS but keep asking if they are or who have at least tried it and found they can't do it
    I didn't take it seriously I rarely do.

Its nice to try all styles, i'll have a go at most things Tango is the only one I don't relay have a go at, it also depends on who your dancing with and when some one like Jordan telly you can WCS that good enough for me, shame its not good enough for some

Blog Entries

Does this mean that future "Stokies" will have a Swing room?

my post wasn't to be taken seriously.
    err...neither was mine.

ang on there robd. I'm talking about the way dances look. Watching dancing is different to doing it. Do please keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Does this mean that future "Stokies" will have a Swing room?
    rumor has it

Thumbs up Re: Stokies Great Ideas #87: I can't Lindy... let's go to a Lindy weekender!!

I want to go!!! Sounds like a great weekend

Commercial Operator

We'd both like to say that we admire the confidence and willingness of Stoke & Twirlie in driving all that distance to risk being completely out of their comfort zone, at an event of such an unfamiliar dance style - not to mention their dancing skills which enabled them to brave the trumpets, and throw themselves into the middle of it all.

It was a real pleasure to have you guys here.

Cool Re: Stokies Great Ideas #87: I can't Lindy... let's go to a Lindy weekender!!

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    We'd both like to say that we admire the confidence and willingness of Stoke & Twirlie in driving all that distance to risk being completely out of their comfort zone, at an event of such an unfamiliar dance style - not to mention their dancing skills which enabled them to brave the trumpets, and throw themselves into the middle of it all.

It was a real pleasure to have you guys here.
    It was my birthday last week - coming up to the DJam weekender was what I asked Twirlie for as my birthday present. It's how I managed to coax her into the car for the long trip so easily

It was a truly fantastic experience. I think you saw from our grins how much we loved being with you all at DJam09. The Lindy crowd are all just so friendly and make you feel so welcome. Yes, you are right, it was completely outside our comfort zone. In fact it was a country mile outside.... but sometimes you need a nudge to keep your dancing moving and growing.

Twirlie and me discussed the weekend all the way home, and we both agreed that we felt our dancing improve and grow because of the time we spent at DJam. It was one hell of a weekend. Great fun!! How could you fail to want to throw yourself into it? We were a little nervous about how the weekend was going to go, but being completely honest I certainly didn't expect to feel the huge leap forward in my dancing that I did though!!

Thank you and Joo-Lee for making us feel so welcome. As for the 10% pitching fiasco.... man.. I was almost as breathless with laughing as the poor dancers were from dancing. If I close my eyes I can still hear the trumpets

Here's to DJam10 (just make sure it's close to my birthday again)

Oh, I DID see the humour in it robd... but apparently I need to spread it around before I can give you anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    WCS - shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, arm jive, shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, return, shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, attitude, shuffle, shuffle, oh you get the idea.

made me laugh, cheers

Cool Re: Stokies Great Ideas #87: I can't Lindy... let's go to a Lindy weekender!!

Lindy must be really starting to take off! I saw advertisement for Lindy today, thought I'd share it

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post

It was a truly fantastic experience. I think you saw from our grins how much we loved being with you all at DJam09. The Lindy crowd are all just so friendly and make you feel so welcome. Yes, you are right, it was completely outside our comfort zone. In fact it was a country mile outside.... but sometimes you need a nudge to keep your dancing moving and growing.

glad you had a wonderful time...some of the most wonderful weekenders I have experienced were with the Rockbottoms crew..... the atmosphere is amazing.. I loved having a go at Lindy some years back, but unfortunately, it made my dodgy knees a lot worse for some reason... hence becoming a WCS fan... (I may be wrong, but to me... WCS is the 'ballroom' version of Lindy!!!.. ) Lindy can be soooo wild and fun.... I do miss it.. but I do appreciate all of the dance styles too.. but suppose I will have to stick to the more gentle types of dancing...

just wish I was 10 years younger...

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    We'd both like to say
    I'd always suspected you were two people.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksondonut View Post
    ..........Lindy can be soooo wild and fun.... I do miss it.. but I do appreciate all of the dance styles too.. but suppose I will have to stick to the more gentle types of dancing...
    I only dance smoothe lindy - and it is just as 'sexy' as WCS

Quote Originally Posted by jacksondonut View Post
    just wish I was 10 years younger...
    10 years younger I am much more than 10 years OLDER than you Jan and dance Lindy regulary and love it !

Not many people dance fast lindy these days, it's all Balboa

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Just started learning lindy and im loving it! The blues and swing music is lovely and its fun to learn something new.

Thread Information