Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Theft

Re: Theft

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post
    Left at home would always be better ...my suggestion for those that have not had the forethought to do so.

(a sometimes forgetful Big Under Par)

and be careful where you leave your valubles at home .... there are people who burgle houses too.....
    So maybe we should all become very zen and not have any valuables at all... either that or permanent paranoia!

Glitter Queen

It is also a good idea to try and remember these lessons when going to weekenders.
    It's very easy to think that everyone 'on site' is a dancer and a friendly trustworthy person, but in the past there have been numerous cases of theft.
    Best advice, leave all wallets phones and cameras well out of sight (preferably in your rooms) and only take a small amount of money for a drink etc to the dancing venue.
    It's very easy for people to walk into a room and blatently go into a bag as if it is their own when there are a large number of people dancing, as few people will know exactly whose bag belongs to whom (except in the case of ZW or Cruella perhaps ).

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    permanent paranoia!
    Hey! At last.. I have something that's useful !

She: Would you like to Dance?
    Me: No you can't have my PDA !!!
    <<runs into the corner>>
    She: Rii-ii-iight!

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    (except in the case of ZW or Cruella perhaps ).
    Hey, my pink bag is very discreet! I haven't had a dalmation one for ages!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Chain
    Not sure that's a good idea - we have car thieves in our area. Better to leave them at home.
    My sat nav wouldn't be a lot of use if I left it at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    There was a cloakroom the last time I went to HMS President, assuming this is the HMS you mentioned.
    Where?

Is it near the paying in desk downstairs?

So maybe we should all become very zen and not have any valuables at all... either that or permanent paranoia!
    and we could all live at pontins in one big dance comune

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    cant you just phone him up

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post

Can you not hide it about your person?

Daisy

(A Practical Little Flower)

It is also a good idea to try and remember these lessons when going to weekenders.
    It's very easy to think that everyone 'on site' is a dancer and a friendly trustworthy person, but in the past there have been numerous cases of theft.
    Best advice, leave all wallets phones and cameras well out of sight (preferably in your rooms) and only take a small amount of money for a drink etc to the dancing venue.
    It's very easy for people to walk into a room and blatently go into a bag as if it is their own when there are a large number of people dancing, as few people will know exactly whose bag belongs to whom (except in the case of ZW or Cruella perhaps ).
    Also take the number off your chalet key, so if it falls into the wrong hands, a thief won't know which chalet it belongs to.

Just had some more news about this. It seems that the staff have some idea who it may have been. Not a regular (which I am relieved about). It may have been a woman, and she may have had a male accomplice. Please don't ask me why the staff think this as I don't think I should post any more on a public forum at this stage.

However, this could mean that the Ceroc night was targetted specifically, in which case they may be making their way around other nights if they've realised we are easy victims. So it's even more important that people are alerted and that venues do what they can to protect their members.
    Thanks for this Twirly. We've had quite a large intake of strangers at Staines for the last 3 weeks, and we're not a million miles from Clapham. I'm on Taxi duty this Monday, so I'll keep a close eye on things, and spread the word a bit

Glitter Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Also take the number off your chalet key, so if it falls into the wrong hands, a thief won't know which chalet it belongs to.
    Personally if I did that I would most likely forget which chalet I was staying in , but if your short-term memory is better than mine I suppose it could be a good idea (although I'm not sure what the holiday camp/hotel staff would have to say about it).

Personally if I did that I would most likely forget which chalet I was staying in , but if your short-term memory is better than mine I suppose it could be a good idea (although I'm not sure what the holiday camp/hotel staff would have to say about it).
    While forgetting the number is dead easy, it is much harder to forget almost all the details of where it is in relation to the surroundings.

Leave something distinctive, but worthless visible on the window sill.

There will be only a limited number of similar possibilities, given the surroundings, so you'll find it eventually (while avoiding trying the key on multiple chalets).

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I always do this, and don't carry any cards or take my phone out with me, just enough cash to buy a drink. I had my purse pinched at Southport and the security guy said sympathetically that he supposed I'd now have to start to phone up the bank and cancel my cards, thankfully I didn't have to.
    It's a bit disheartning to hear about all these thefts happening in the dance world, given that it used to be a place where nothing used to go missing or maybe that's just a rose tinted glasses memory.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

This stuff is allways happening, I'm amased its not worse, the simple rules are keep all your valubles on you, leave nothing on view, I know its not easy for women, but if you want your stuff to stay yours; I have fretted about the possaible loss of sweaty t shirts and a soggy towell, but I live on the edge

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    It's a bit disheartning to hear about all these thefts happening in the dance world, given that it used to be a place where nothing used to go missing or maybe that's just a rose tinted glasses memory.
    Thefts have happened at Southport on a number of occasions over the years - I should know, my purse was one of them!

However, the times when I have left my belongings unsupervised and unmolested far, far outweigh those occasions.

I do try to remember to leave my credit card at home, though. There's no point in asking for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    I always do this,
    It was Rubyred who told me. A good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly View Post
    At the last freestyle in Daventry someone nicked the spare pair of trousers I had in my bag
    That's a bit weird. Sounds like it might be some sort of crotch-sniffing perv. Yuck - you might have danced with him!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Flicts View Post
    That's a bit weird. Sounds like it might be some sort of crotch-sniffing perv. Yuck - you might have danced with him!
    I think she would have noticed ...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Why would they care and how would they know? You will put the number back on when you hand the key back in you know...

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    I think she would have noticed ...
    Indeed - that moves always seems to get a comment whenever i try it

Thread Information