Thread: Putting Ceroc DVDs on your Ipod

Putting Ceroc DVDs on your Ipod

As a Ceroc newbie of less than three weeks I decided it would be useful for me to have the Ceroc Beginners DVD available on my ipod for reference (when I'm bored at work, at home, on the train, on the loo etc etc)!!!

So as a conscientious forum poster I thought I'd share what I did with everyone else so that if you are indeed as obsessed and geeky as I am you can do the same...

First of all, in order to rip DVDs you are going to need two pieces of software, DVD43 (www dot dvd43 dot com)(which removes DVD encryption "on-the-fly" i.e when you put the DVD in the drive) and Handbrake (www dot handbrake dot fr)(which rips DVDs to various formats and was originally Mac-only but now has a Windows release).

Install both, and put your DVD in the drive. If there is any encryption on the DVD, the DVD43 icon in the system tray (a smiley face) will go to an angry face while it decrypts, and then will smile again once it is complete.

Open Handbrake (NB if you are using Vista, you will need to right click it and "Run as Administrator") and click on Source. Handbrake will take a few minutes (depending on your PC) to analyse the DVD. You can then select it from the list to convert to ipod format.

Select ipod from the presets menu on the right hand side. I would also recommend changing the "Anamorphic" setting in the Size menu to "Loose".

Select a suitable Destination folder.

Now you need to select which "title" on the DVD to convert. With normal DVDs there will be a title that has a long run time (i.e the length of the movie) to give you a clue which one you need to select. With the Beginners DVD it has each move set as a title, so we want to convert them all. Select each title from the drop down menu, then click on "Add to Queue". Once you have selected them all, click Start and a black DOS type window will open to show it is converting.

Handbrake is quite resource-intensive so I wouldn't have anything else open if I were you!

Finally once all files are converted, you can open Itunes and add the files and rename them whatever you like!

NB: I am not liable if you convert DVDs that you do not already own!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Putting Ceroc DVDs on your Ipod

doesn't matter if you own them or not - its all technically illegal

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    "Technically" true as you aren't supposed to mess with the Content Scrambling System (CSS) of a DVD under the DCMA. That said, ripping your own movies/DVDs to your harddrive is kind of a grey area and you wouldn't be hauled over the coals for it (provided you weren't reselling or redistributing of course).

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Its certainly Illegal in the UK and "Even if this is for personal use [you] theoretically face up to two years in jail or an unlimited fine, and possible civil action from copyright holders.". but it does appear to be the act of copying that is illegal.

In the USA, if you see here , it seems to be the circumvention of CSS that is illegal NOT the copying itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    If you own the DVD's you do have a purchase a single use lic. to use the DVD's. I guess their may be words saying you can't copy the DVD's thu I think your not causing ceroc to be out of pocket, therefore its hard to see an issue.

As I understand it, Ceroc DJ's don't pay for the rights to play music at a ventues, so they are not i any position to complain!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashenfie View Post
    As I understand it, Ceroc DJ's don't pay for the rights to play music at a ventues, so they are not i any position to complain!
    Yes they do, they have to buy a licence from the PRS

Thread Information