Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: London v the provinces

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: London v the provinces

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    DB I agree with you about transfering classic MJ type moves that require momentum being transferred to the Blues Room

But what about the other way round. I would say it is a lot easier to transfer moves and styles of dance coming out of Blues Room into a classic Modern Jive room.
    Not sure - to be honest, I think it might be equally difficult to transfer "out" - it's a bit of a hypothetical though.

I've never been very good at Blues, to be honest; I just generally Tango to it now, anyway.

Cool Re: London v the provinces

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    {{SNIP ~ Well reasoned, logical stuff}}
    Great Scott!!!! I think we agree

Yes, a slow tempo makes it hard to dance MJ to a Blues track. But it makes it easy to dance Blues to. People need to know that dancing Blues is easy. It's not easy to dance MJ to a Blues tempo.... so dance Blues to Blues music instead - simple.

As you rightly say there is a big difference between Blues and Treacle-Ceroc. But Treacle-Ceroc is a good enough starting point to be honest. If you hang around in the Blues Room, watch the dancers and most importantly listen to the music that they are moving to, it will start to become clear. Now ask a lead/follow who looks approachable, or someone there that you know for a few pointers and you'll be away.

One of the great things about a Blues Room is that it's generally a little darker than the Boing Boing Room on account of the dancers not needing to see each other's hands as quickly (due to a much slower tempo). Because it's a little darker, you can find a dark corner to have a go. Then the MJ'er can feel just how easy Blues dancing is... IF they listen to the music. It's also a little more relaxing as they don't need their brains travelling at a million miles an hour to try to recall move, move, move, move, move, move... you can relax into and move with the music.

My main point in all of this is.....it's not difficult. Just a little different. Just forget most of the stuff that you learned in your weekly Jive class and move with the music. Don't get too many pointers before hand... get them on the floor with dancers who are more than willing to share the joy of dancing Blues (and there are loads of us out there).

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    .... I am not really sure if proper Blues can be danced anymore, I certainly have never seen the long legged dusky maiden again
    Last spotted at Cheshunt - with a slight husky voice and some strange musky perfume - yes it was that husky, musky, dusky maiden from yore strutting her stuff on the floor.

.....And I love it........

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    My point was that Modern Jive as commonly taught and danced ("classic" MJ if you will) has a certain natural tempo - for the sake of argument let's say 120-140BPM. That tempo just "works" with the typical accordion-type movements which make up most of Modern Jive, because those movements mostly depend on a certain level of momentum being maintained.

That has very little to do with as a string of moves or not - the component steps in Modern Jive all have that restriction. Try dancing MJ to that tempo without using that motion - it's not easy.

~
    MJ Blues is a different style of dance to MJ classic. It really is.
    Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Yes, a slow tempo makes it hard to dance MJ to a Blues track. But it makes it easy to dance Blues to. People need to know that dancing Blues is easy. It's not easy to dance MJ to a Blues tempo.... so dance Blues to Blues music instead - simple.
    For any passers by reading this, Blues dancing can be very similar to MJ dancing: the 'swing' accordion motion is just changed to an 'attraction' rather than 'repulsion' connection - the moves themselves can be adapted relativly easily. Most of the transition is in the head rather than the lead.

Here's something I prepared earlier... Online workshop: Blues and Moves

Thread Information