Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Edinburgh International Tango Festival

Edinburgh International Tango Festival

May 22nd - 25th 2009 I know it is a bit early, and the details about the event have been put on their web site yet, but I just wondered if anyone on here had given, or was giving any thought to going?
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Registered User Little Black Dress's Avatar

Re: Edinburgh International Tango Festival

Will definitely be thinking about this one. Aurion and I didn't feel ready for the Winter Ball in December but I think we might be up for a try of some of the Spring Ball
    We usually go to a practica with Jenny and Ricardo once a week, so I know they'll keep us informed of developments. As soon as I know anything, I'll post up details.

I'm thinking about it too, but only if I can get a good few lessons in beforehand

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    I'm thinking about it too, but only if I can get a good few lessons in beforehand
    Hope you do pmjd that would be cool dancing tango with you I don't know yet what's on offer at the Edinburgh one, but it has been my experience that tango festivals will cater for beginners with the workshops on offer. When Ant and I went to Morzine last year, we were all 'graded' according to our experience and it worked well, the beginners tango had only a few couples compared with the other classes, so it was a bit like having a private lesson/surgery with the attention we got from the teachers.
    Last edited by rubyred; 23rd-January-2009 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    Hope you do pmjd that would be cool dancing tango with you I don't know yet what's on offer at the Edinburgh one, but it has been my experience that tango festivals will cater for beginners with the workshops on offer. When Ant and I went to Morzine last year, we were all 'graded' according to our experience and it worked well, the beginners tango had only a few couples compared with the other classes, so it was a bit like having a private lesson/surgery with the attention we got from the teachers.
    Thanks rubyred, would be great to see you too I was a bit worried about turning up as a relative beginner and being some what out of my depth. My new dance partner and I want to learn tango together but not had much chance to make a start on it yet, though we do have until May! So that sounds encouraging that beginners might be catered for too

I might come across to it, especially knowing that there are a few familiar faces, i have been learning in Glasgow for about 4 months and find that it is not as friendly as Ceroc, so find that I am not as willing to go to dances on my own in case I end up sitting on my own all night and getting no dances.

My new dance partner and I want to learn tango together but not had much chance to make a start on it yet, though we do have until May!
    No excuses now if beginners are catered for! You'll do great Think we really do need to work on our "Tango faces" beforehand though Really looking forward to hearing more about this, as would love to go!

Lou x

Quote Originally Posted by LuLu Baby View Post
    No excuses now if beginners are catered for! You'll do great Think we really do need to work on our "Tango faces" beforehand though Really looking forward to hearing more about this, as would love to go!

Lou x
    Yes Mam!

Hopefully we'll get to do it, just need to see what the details are first. As for tango faces I'll work on it but I do seem to remember that you giggled first last time

May 22nd - 25th 2009 I know it is a bit early, and the details about the event have been put on their web site yet, but I just wondered if anyone on here had given, or was giving any thought to going?
    Would love to go RR. Haven't had chance to Tango since my hols but definitely will start again (still waiting to hear from work if I can have few weeks off in April to go to BA). I'll see you v soon and if you like we can see if we can get a few of us from around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Toasti View Post
    Would love to go RR. Haven't had chance to Tango since my hols but definitely will start again (still waiting to hear from work if I can have few weeks off in April to go to BA). I'll see you v soon and if you like we can see if we can get a few of us from around here.
    Fabulous Toasti and if we could get some people from round our way we could possible car share etc.

I am so pleased that there are other forumites interested in going, I hope the details come out soon, and thank you Little Black Dress for keeping an ear to the ground with Jenny and Ricardo, it must be great to have them as your regular teachers.

I know that Tango events can be different to MJ, and I found it really less intimidating when I went to Negrachas in London in December when I met with other jivers that I know who also tango. It just helps to make the whole experience more inviting and friendly. Would be great if the same theme could go in Edinburgh, and there were some friendly faces about to ease the way. A big plus also in that if we meet up at weekenders etc we know who we are and can TANGO together, how cool would that be.

It is wonderful being taught by Jenny and Ricardo They also believe in tango faces - smiling ones which makes the whole experience more fun
    I'm getting quite excited about the prospect of the festival now. It will be nice to meet up with fellow forumites too!

Watch this space.......

I have just spoken to my friend Roger who went to the last festival in December and this is the link to that one so you can get an idea what to expect.

http://www.rumbosdetango.com/english...#workshop_info

There is a beginners course.

The Festival is spread to a certain extent over Edinburgh, so local knowledge please, will be helpful as more information becomes available.

PS Roger is an intermediate to advanced Tango dancer and he highly recommends the Festival based upon his December experience.

Just spoke to Ricardo last night and although he and Jenny aren't organising this event, it's an Edinburgh Tango Society Do, they are going to be teaching/demo-ing etc. He said they should be releasing info in a couple of weeks....That will probably be on the website www.eitf.org.uk

As for tango faces I'll work on it but I do seem to remember that you giggled first last time
    Yes, that may be true! But, wasn't it your fault?

Would be great if the same theme could go in Edinburgh, and there were some friendly faces about to ease the way. A big plus also in that if we meet up at weekenders etc we know who we are and can TANGO together, how cool would that be.
    That would be cool! I need to get to classes NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Battlecat View Post
    I might come across to it, especially knowing that there are a few familiar faces, i have been learning in Glasgow for about 4 months and find that it is not as friendly as Ceroc, so find that I am not as willing to go to dances on my own in case I end up sitting on my own all night and getting no dances.
    Which class are you going to? I have been going to Dani Iannarelli's Tango class on a Saturday morning in Glasgow for just over 3 months..

I am going to the Thursday night class at Dance with Attitude down on south street.

22-25 May 2009.
    Bookings are now open for the Edinburgh International Tango Festival!

* Workshops * afternoon dancing at Tango Café * Evening Milongas * Dance Performances *

Alejandra Hobert & Adrián Veredice
    Roxana Suárez & Sebastián Achával
    Jenny Frances & Ricardo Oria

Live music by Quinteto El Después
    DJ, Garrit Fleischman

* Delightful sprung wooden floors * Magical venues *

I'd love to go to this, I've never even been to Edinburgh to do the tourist bit. I'd consider driving up from the Midlands for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    I'd love to go to this, I've never even been to Edinburgh to do the tourist bit. I'd consider driving up from the Midlands for it.
    I don't know how easy it would be for you to get to Peterbrough but I would also check out the possability of getting the East Coast line from there to Edinburgh. If you are travelling on your own it may be cheaper and much faster.

Info is now up at the following website: www.eitf.org.uk
    Haven't had a chance to look at it properly but looks like there are loads of workshops and parties Can't wait

Thread Information