Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Herpes Simplex sufferers of the forum UNITE!!

Herpes Simplex sufferers of the forum UNITE!!

.. But just don't kiss anyone !!

At this time of year (and by this time I mean any month with a Vowel in it!) I suffer from bouts of cold sores. Nasty unpleasant things that annoy me and my better half.

I'm forever buying 2g tubes of Zorvirax at about £5.60 a shot.. of course, I never have one on me when I feel "the tingle" so I always end up surrounded by many partly used tubes and pumps of the stuff (I think I had 6 in the drawer yesterday)

Anyway have been going though a phase of one after the other.. it clears.. it re-occurs, it clears.. another pops up elsewhere. So I've decided to try a little experiment.

I'd been reading about light treatment for cold sores and specifically the Virulite "CS" system. I came across an article commenting on many good results using Boots Own Branded Light treatment device for £34.25.. now that seems a lot but not when you consider it's only the price of 6 tubes of Zorvirax.

it seems easy enough to use, and painless (I'm assured) so I'm going to give it a try.. will let you all know how I get on.

If any fellow sufferers have tried these systems I'd be keen to hear their levels of success.

now .. all I need to do now is to remember to carry it with me.. I'll just think of it as a geeky addition to my PDA or an extension to my MP3 player or something I USUALLY remember to pick them up.

Now if you excuse me.. I'm off to find a dark damp spot to hide in.. I always feel a bit like the elephant man when i have these darned things.

Blog Entries

Re: Herpes Simplex sufferers of the forum UNITE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    .. But just don't kiss anyone !!

Herpy lip speaks about his herpy lip.
    Thankfully i do not suffer with this. I suffer with Veruccas which i think is a similar sort of thing only not on ya lip and easier to disguise.

I look forward to hearing how ya trial goes and good luck Beo.....

By the way, i have a brown bag at home that you might like to use to aid your elephant man look.

kisses

You could save a shed load and buy something like Tesco's own brand zovirax for A couple of quid as opposed to £5.60 a pop for zovirax, it's the same active ingredient at the same concentration, acyclovir.

Never heard of light treatment before, has there been any clinical data to back it up?

Bleh! I know exactly how you feel Beo, having been 'blessed' with these little lipshits since I was a child .

I've tried some of the 'housewife remedies' such as shoving toothpaste on the sore, or stinging your lips to buggery with a dab of aftershave - all to no apparent avail.

Some years ago, was working with a lovely young lady ( you know the kind - those that you'd never think would suffer from this dreaded curse ). We were having a lunchtime drink in a pub, whe she suddenly dashed to the bar and returned with an icecube and a slice of lemon. She wrapped the cube in some tissue, then held it with the lemon to her lip for 5 mins. When she was able to talk properly again, she explained that once she felt the tingle, this method always prevented the sore from appearing! I've never tried it myself, simply because sod's law dictates that I'm never in reach of ice/lemon when it happens to me

I have however, managed to isolate a few triggers that I now avoid, in order to put some prevention in place - they are, 1) Avoid direct exposure to sunshine in early spring (I use a lip block), 2) If I touch my lips with a very hot mug/soup spoon etc, immediately try and cool the area with whatever cold I can find, and 3) I try not to drink from tun cans.

These 3 measures do seem to have some effect for me .

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the light sabre technique though. Good luck

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive View Post

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the light sabre technique
    i can only imagine that that won't end well

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Well, the problem would permanently sorted

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the light sabre
    One can only 'wand'er if it's a bright idea or not

oh dear, doubly bad puns

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    Well, the problem would permanently sorted

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the light sabre technique though. Good luck
    at least you would get some light relief

Many commiserations, Beo. When I've had bad cold sores I don't want to dance, go out or face anyone, really.

........ an icecube and a slice of lemon. She wrapped the cube in some tissue, then held it with the lemon to her lip for 5 mins. When she was able to talk properly again, she explained that once she felt the tingle, this method always prevented the sore from appearing! I've never tried it myself, simply because sod's law dictates that I'm never in reach of ice/lemon when it happens to me
    It might have been more useful if she'd rushed to apply the Zovirax. Applied early I think it can definitely prevent a small cold sore from appearing, and make them less painful and heal faster if it does appear. So it's worth always having a tube handy.

If you are visiting Spain, it's worth stocking up on a few tubes as they were half the price of the UK brands there, , though they wouldn't seem like such good value at the moment.

I don't buy the pump-type, this is just a manufacturing ploy to get you to use more and throw away the container when there's still a little bit left in it that won't pump. I use tubes which you can always tear open in extremis to get the last tiny bit out.

I have however, managed to isolate a few triggers that I now avoid, in order to put some prevention in place - they are, 1) Avoid direct exposure to sunshine in early spring (I use a lip block), 2) If I touch my lips with a very hot mug/soup spoon etc, immediately try and cool the area with whatever cold I can find, and 3) I try not to drink from tun cans.
    The only clear trigger for me that I've identified is stress. If I have a period of having a lot of things to do to a strict time-keeping timetable, even if they're fun things, then that sometimes triggers one, though usually only after the stress is over. Not sleeping well over a period of time and getting run down might also be implicated. So I try to keep to a good diet and throw a few vitamin/mineral supplement pills down from time to time.

I've recently bought some "Cold Sore Patches" made by Compeed, but I haven't tried them yet. They claim to act like an invisible thin film which sticks down over the blister, making it invisible and heals it faster. I don't think they work if it's already gone scabby. I thought they might be useful if I ever got one when some important event when I wanted to look OK was coming up, which is typically when I might get one. Has anyone tried these? They were a bit pricey.

I recall suffering from these pesky things in much younger days and finding that, if used in time, dabbing on Hydrogen Peroxide was quite effective.

This was available from Chemists at an appropriate strength in that innocent age, but whether that is still true I do not know

Am also afflicted - sporting one at the moment, in fact. Applying the Zovirax - although also use Boots' own-brand equivalent.

Have never seen the light treatment before - interested to hear how you get on.

Bought a 'HotKiss' last week and tried it for the first time - but not convinced - as I'm still sporting a cold sore! Will give it another few goes though and see how it works out.

Cheers,

PM

Article from Daily Mail..

The healing power of the infrared light is non-thermal - it's an invisible band of light at a wavelength of 1072nm, and Dougal, via Virulite Limited, has patented its healing pow ers. This is Nobel Prize-winning stuff, but you need a few physics degrees to grasp it.

"Put simply, 1072nm is the w avelength of light that travels through tissues in the most effective way,î says Dougal. "Once inside the tissue, the light makes cells more resistant to viruses, such as herpes simplex, as well as enhancing the immune system.

It does exactly the opposite of UV light, and therefore counteracts the ill effect that has. Cold sores don't stand a chance.

And a Transcript from A BBC4 Radio - Science program

(quite a bit down the page.. quite interesting)

So far we've dealt with the healing properties of visible light, but light doesn't have to be visible to exert a therapeutic effect. Two doctors from the North East of England - a GP and an eye surgeon - were researching the effects of infrared light on cold sores when they noticed an interesting side effect. A discovery that led to the development of a device they claim can reduce bags and wrinkles and take up to 10 years off your appearance. Too good to be true? We invited Dr Gordon Dougal to our Newcastle studio to find out.

DOUGAL
    Well initially we were looking at the effect of infrared light on the treatment of cold sores. Now we did a clinical trial which demonstrated efficacy in the treatment compared to acyclovir.

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    I've recently bought some "Cold Sore Patches" made by Compeed, but I haven't tried them yet. They claim to act like an invisible thin film which sticks down over the blister, making it invisible and heals it faster. I don't think they work if it's already gone scabby. I thought they might be useful if I ever got one when some important event when I wanted to look OK was coming up, which is typically when I might get one. Has anyone tried these? They were a bit pricey.
    I also get them and Mr Darcy won't go anywhere near me when I have one

I've always relied on the Zovirax (or Tesco equivalent) which does the job if I notice the "tingle". I looked at the Compeed thingies but the picture shows a coldsore in the middle of the lip - I always get mine in the corners of my mouth so these sticky film things are much less likely to stay stuck as I talk too much!

I'm not going to spend that much money on something I don't think is going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    I'm not going to spend that much money on something I don't think is going to work.
    Well, I did wonder. There's no point in looking as though you've got bits of crumpled selotape attached to your bottom lip as well as the weeping scabs, after all. But I've already spent the money now. Wish I could remember where I've put them, though.

It might have been more useful if she'd rushed to apply the Zovirax. Applied early I think it can definitely prevent a small cold sore from appearing, and make them less painful and heal faster if it does appear. So it's worth always having a tube handy.

It really is worth keeping a tube handy and apply at the first "tingle"
    I use boots own brand

Well a bit of an update but not really a valid test as (a) the current outbreak was pretty well established before I got the device and (b) I had been taking Zorvirax prior to getting the device.

However, that said..

It shows promise ! i don't know how you gauge the stage of your outbreaks but with me it's a fairly familiar routine..
    1. The Tingle. You don't actually have a cold sore at this point.. this is just the gathering of the Virus's troops prior to the battle and them preparing to lay siege to fortress Lip !
    2. The Clear Blister. You've blistered up but it's a clear blister.. this is when the cold sore is it's most swollen and uncomfortable.
    3. The Opaque Blister. Not dead yet but defininately on it's last legs.
    4. The Scabby bit. No comment
    5. Kissable again.

Well i went from Stage 2 to Stage 3 with alarming rapidity ! and in fact I'm actually drying out and starting to turn scabby as well !

As i say not a valid test as I was using Zorvirax and am still taking Lysine tablets (another recommended remedy) but it's looking good. When I next feel the tingle and assuming I have the device on me I'll try it then. Apparently if you give it a blast when you feel the tingle it may never get to stage 2 !

From the link above.. re Lysine.

The herpes simplex virus has a high requirement for the amino acid, arginine. On the other hand, the amino acid, lysine, inhibits viral replication.1 Therefore, a diet that is low in arginine and high in lysine may help prevent or treat herpes outbreaks. Several studies have shown that increasing lysine intake can reduce the recurrence rate of cold sores.2 Although people with herpes simplex reportedly consume about the same amount of arginine and lysine in their diet as do people without cold sores,3 it is conceivable that adjusting the intake of these amino acids may be beneficial. For that reason, many doctors advise people with cold sores to avoid foods with high arginine-to-lysine ratios, such as nuts, peanuts, and chocolate. Nonfat yoghurt and other nonfat dairy can be a healthful way to increase lysine intake.

Not conclusive as it goes on to say 1g didn't increase healing rate in a double blind test.. but heck I'm willing to try anything and even put my faith in a little woo-woo quackery if needs be I'l grab at anything that even seems Remotely plausable. (although there is some medical evidence to suggest it's beneficial .. just not conclusive yet)
    Last edited by Beowulf; 22nd-January-2009 at 09:50 AM.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Well, I did wonder. There's no point in looking as though you've got bits of crumpled selotape attached to your bottom lip as well as the weeping scabs, after all. But I've already spent the money now. Wish I could remember where I've put them, though.
    does anyone actually know how contagious they are? I think i may have had one or two when i was a teenager but not since. My wife does get them in times of great stress, but ive never caught them off her.

Blog Entries

'blessed' with these little lipshits since I was a child .

does anyone actually know how contagious they are? I think i may have had one or two when i was a teenager but not since. My wife does get them in times of great stress, but ive never caught them off her.
    Maybe it's just an excuse made up to avoid kissing someone with scabby, puss-dripping lips?

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Maybe it's just an excuse made up to avoid kissing someone with scabby, puss-dripping lips?

I certainly wouldn't kiss anyone with a Cat hanging off their lips!

and besides Cold sores are not full of PUS it's just a blister.. you're thinking perhaps of canker sores.

Thread Information