Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uninsured drivers to face the crush

Re: Uninsured drivers to face the crush

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    I'm sure it's all done by a reference to big database.

We know how good the government are at doing that sort of thing without making mistakes.
    but its not done by the government, its done by the DVLA on their behalf
    You can check if your vehicle is on the data base here

I think it is also possible to check the details it holds on your car

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    but its not done by the government, its done by the DVLA on their behalf
    I think the distinction between "government" and an executive agency like the DVLA (which reports directly to ministers and is presumably staffed by civil servants) is a rather slender one.
    Love dance, will travel

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    I think the distinction between "government" and an executive agency like the DVLA (which reports directly to ministers and is presumably staffed by civil servants) is a rather slender one.
    I'd go further and say there IS no distinction

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    What happens if some idiot teenager borrows mum's BMW, but is not covered on the insurance (knowingly or unknowingly). Does that mean if he/she were to be caught, then the parent's car should be crushed?
    Yes, crush it if the parents were in on it. But "taking" a car is theft, even if it is your parents car and in that case the car should not be crushed, but the idiot should be charged accordingly. Cars can kill, so lets not take this lightly and think purely of the monetary aspect of it.

Where does the responsilibity for insurance lie - the driver or the registered keeper? I'd say it should be the former.
    The responsiblity lies with both - people should know they need insurance and not drive without it, and people will not just lend a car to someone unless they know for a fact that person HAS insurance. When you know your car will be destroyed if you get it wrong, you will make sure. Result = safer roads. And as others have mentioned, there is a cooling off period where mistakes can be accounted for - the car was stolen, insurance company mistake or whatever. If this legislation came through i would say to my children; you are not insured, so if you take the keys and drive the car the police will charge you with theft and driving without insurance and you may well be banned for life, heavily fined and/or given a custodial sentance. I'd visit them in prison though.

Ceroc DJ

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    The responsiblity lies with both - people should know they need insurance and not drive without it, and people will not just lend a car to someone unless they know for a fact that person HAS insurance. When you know your car will be destroyed if you get it wrong, you will make sure. Result = safer roads. And as others have mentioned, there is a cooling off period where mistakes can be accounted for - the car was stolen, insurance company mistake or whatever. If this legislation came through i would say to my children; you are not insured, so if you take the keys and drive the car the police will charge you with theft and driving without insurance and you may well be banned for life, heavily fined and/or given a custodial sentance. I'd visit them in prison though.
    Surely though this all leads to one thing .. the law regarding this is really rubbish at the moment - its pretty unenforcable.

Sort out the law and make it more of an offence and things might change. It seems at the moment that you are more likely to go to prison for not paying your taxes than you will if you almost kill someone ! Unless the police have pretty much photographic evidence, the cps seems unlikely to bother prosecuting ! Its a shame as I think the Police do as great job - just seems the people who break the law have better solictors!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Surely though this all leads to one thing .. the law regarding this is really rubbish at the moment - its pretty unenforcable.

Sort out the law and make it more of an offence and things might change. It seems at the moment that you are more likely to go to prison for not paying your taxes than you will if you almost kill someone ! Unless the police have pretty much photographic evidence, the cps seems unlikely to bother prosecuting ! Its a shame as I think the Police do as great job - just seems the people who break the law have better solictors!
    Why isn't it enforceable ?

It get the impression, we have a surfeit of laws, but insufficient enforcement, though that isn't necessarily the fault of the police.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post

It get the impression, we have a surfeit of laws, but insufficient enforcement, though that isn't necessarily the fault of the police.
    well said. We often see new legislation to solve a problem in society that is only caused by NOT enforcing current laws properly. Nonsense.

Ceroc DJ

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post

My point was that there are too many loopholes which criminals exploit therefore making a mockery of the good job the police are doing!

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Good point Cat but dont you think a person who drives a £500 car does so because they can not afford any better. A £500 car is probably worth as much to the driver as the driver of a 10k car.. you get my drift!!
    I will not spend more than £500 on a car as I have had a few stolen in my 30 years of driving, and the litlte b*s***ds round here have no respect for other peoples property, every car for miles around has a key scratch along the length. I probably could afford more than that but very reluctant to do so. But you are right, my car is my lifeline and would find it very hard to do without. I think drivers of cars at the cheaper end of the market possibly value their cars more, because they would find it much harder to replace them.
    Back to the original thread - I don't think your car would be crushed without you having the opportunity to highlight any mitigating circumstances first

Thread Information