Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obama still gives me the creeps

Re: Obama still gives me the creeps

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    CONGRATULATIONS TO OBAMA ON YOUR INAUGARATION AS PRESIDENT OF THE USA.

Michelle is a really natural First Lady too.

After watching the inauguration this afternoon and the interviews that followed, I wonder if Barack Obama is going to be America's Black President or Black America's President.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jivejunkie View Post
    The big story now is obviously.......can Rory Bremner master the accent!!
    no, the big question in these PC times, is whether he will black up for the role.

Although, I'm sure he does already for Trevor McDonut.

Is there anyone in the world who, hadn't heard by 7.00 this morning that America has it's first Black president?

I would have thought that, if by that time they didn't know, they probably couldn't give a **** anyway, so why does the BBC think it is necessary to repeat it every couple of minutes! I think we know now thankyou!

If it isn't an issue why make it one (as I'm sure someone has said on here)
    I don't think he's bothered about the colour (sorry color) of his skin, so why mention it.

Did anyone notice his middle and last names are only one letter away from a terrorist (Barack Hussain Obama just in case you missed it!)
    Last edited by Jivejunkie; 21st-January-2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Thought better of it!

On the other hand, their Chief of Staff, Rahm Emanuel used to study dance (won a scholarship to the Joffrey Ballet, though declined it).

Did anyone notice his middle and last names are only one letter away from a terrorist (Barack Hussain Obama just in case you missed it!)
    [rant mode]

Yes, I think people noticed. Like, a couple of years ago. The joke (or mistake, whichever you prefer) has been made, it wasn't funny the first time, or the twelve-hundredth time.

The thing that makes me so cross about this particular comment every time I hear it is when I wonder what point is being made. The common way to follow such a statement is something along the lines of how that means he is somehow suspicious, or untrustworthy - but what's in a name?

How many Alberts do you know who are also crazy genius physicists?
    How many Josephs do you know who are also communist dictators?
    How many Browns do you know who have screwed up the country's economy?

The answer to each question probably only being 1, how ridiculous and insulting is it to compare Obama with Osama, and Hussain [sic] (his actual name is Hussein - which, in case you care, comes from the Arabic word for 'good' and is a very common name in Arabic cultures) with Saddam to infer any kind of negative feeling towards a guy who, quite frankly, already has enough battles?

[/rant mode]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious View Post
    [rant mode]

who, quite frankly, already has enough battles?

[/rant mode]
    yes your right... his first battle is how to dress his wife. Her dress didn't go down very well at all and is big news this morning.

His dancing was also noted......

i mean

I had cause to reread the following rant from one of my favourite bloggers. Much of it is pretty much "<whatever>" unless you're an avid follower of US media, but here's some excepts from the last paragraph:

Quote Originally Posted by Scalzi
    This will keep happening. Fox News will keep finding ways to remind its viewers that the Obamas are black (and possibly Muslim) ... and eventually some portion of the Fox News audience will get to the ballot box in November convinced that they’re not really racists, they just know that there’s something about that Obama boy they just don’t like.
    Interesting conclusion, huh?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    I had cause to reread the following rant from one of my favourite bloggers. Much of it is pretty much "<whatever>" unless you're an avid follower of US media, but here's some excepts from the last paragraph:

Interesting conclusion, huh?
    I would feel the same about any american president, its nothing to do with his colour. I just feel his flowery interpretation on how he is going to change the world is unrealistic and to be quite honest unattainable. I have heard people say in the UK that if he manages to do what he says he can do, it will benefit us. I ask how?

I dont trust the americans after the twin towers as i am a strong believer that this was self done to enable financial gain.

The only thing that annoys me about his colour is the fact that is rammed down our throats repeatedly since he gained his position. Who gives a monkeys what colour he is or his ancestors used to work the corn fields. I dont happen to give a rats ass. Do we need to keep being told about it. No we dont.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I would have thought that, if by that time they didn't know, they probably couldn't give a **** anyway, so why does the BBC think it is necessary to repeat it every couple of minutes! I think we know now thankyou!
    Whats your problem. American has a new president, it will be reported a lot, it always is. What is it about the reporting [edit= i cant remember what i was going to write here, just insert your own end ]

If it isn't an issue why make it one (as I'm sure someone has said on here)
    I don't think he's bothered about the colour (sorry color) of his skin, so why mention it.
    Considering past history with race relations in the U.S. it IS a big deal and it IS worthy of comment. He is quite aware of the colour of his skin, but he is also aware that 40 years ago, even with similar conditions, he would not have been elected president because of the colour of his skin.
    It'll be another 40 years before the U.S. has an openly atheist or gay president

So, on the one hand you suggest skin colour "is not an issue" and how it is not necessary to go on about it in the news. What is an issue for you is that his name is similar to someone elses. You Sir, are an utter tit

Interestingly an anagram of dreadful scathe is "AH LAST CURD FEED" proving beyond a doubt that I was responsible for Little Miss Muffets horrible death at the hands of the spider. I can't deny the association with the phrase, so it's a fair cop guv.
    Last edited by Dreadful Scathe; 21st-January-2009 at 04:19 PM.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Actually, the hold started off well, but I agree, he lost it towards the end, waving the arm around like a crazy thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    I would feel the same about any american president, its nothing to do with his colour. I just feel his flowery interpretation on how he is going to change the world is unrealistic and to be quite honest unattainable.
    If you're talking about his inauguration speech, I refer you to here:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLIT...ipt/index.html

- compare and contrast.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    If you're talking about his inauguration speech, I refer you to here:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLIT...ipt/index.html

- compare and contrast.
    its the "something about him" thing that troubles Trouble i think His speech is the best inauguration for decades.

Anyway bigger news than that - did you know the Americans are inaugorating their first black president today - so every commontator, on every programme since I got in tonight said - they even spent half of Central News tonight talking about it because some newshound has discovered there is a Birmingham in Alabama!
    It was a hot spot in the Civil Rights versus the KKK.

The papers have also made a thing of the fact that he is a great dancer too.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    The papers have also made a thing of the fact that he is a great dancer too.
    The papers appear to be somewhat deluded then. But he ain't Bush.

Incidentally, anyone seen this from the Onion back in 2001 when Bush was inaugurated?

Bush: 'Our Long National Nightmare Of Peace And Prosperity Is Finally Over'

It's well worth a read - spooky, in fact.

Blog Entries

Yup, loads of times

I'm waiting for the inverse one to appear.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    yes your right... his first battle is how to dress his wife. Her dress didn't go down very well at all and is big news this morning.

His dancing was also noted......

i mean
    Oh i didn't see a huge chunk of this thread when I posted about the dancing.

Regarding Michelle's dress (not you Trouble) it's said she is not a clothes horse and isn't much interested in wasting her time on fashion.
    She could have changed ball gowns for all 10 balls, if she had wanted.

I thought the yellow was nice and sunny. She's not afraid of wearing colours.

All my comments were totally 'tongue in cheek' sorry if anyone is offended by any of them

My point is so what, who cares, won't make any difference to me if he is black brown yellow or purple.
    I know the name thing is years old everybody has heard it, he was elected in November and given the keys to the red button yesterday - but everybody knows that as well
    It has all happened 5000+ miles away from me, I can't do anything about it, Good luck to him as it happens I think he will do a great job - but if he doesn't I don't think my opinion will make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Interestingly an anagram of dreadful scathe is "AH LAST CURD FEED" proving beyond a doubt that I was responsible for Little Miss Muffets horrible death at the hands of the spider. I can't deny the association with the phrase, so it's a fair cop guv.

Now you mention it.. didn't fairly tale land police find a blue smear next to her body?

there's mileage in this you know. an anagram of my forum name is FOUL WEB.. which obviously relates to the amount of S**t I post online

I think DS has stumbled on a new form of forensics .. Anagramology ! If your name's "Ima Urmderer" then don't kill anyone.. they'll be onto you like flies on a Beowulf post...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grahamg View Post
    I thought there was a reason why they insisted upon Barak Obama re-affirming his oath of office in an act they described as using 'an abundance of caution' (I think they even said it was to avoid conspiracy theorists making the most of the original slip ups).
    Pah, but you know he didn't use a Bible the second time?

Highly suspicious, that...

Thread Information