Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey babe, fancy a coffee?

Hey babe, fancy a coffee?

Prompted by Chris’s ‘fess up..’ thread would anyone like to share their best and worse ‘chat-up’ moments? Anything ‘chat-up’ related goes, lines, experiences, successes, blow-outs etc. In fact anything goes full-stop.

The only thing approaching a chat-up that I have/had is ‘Any chance of a drink and a chat?’, nice and safe. Fortunately, I have no experiences with embarrassing ‘put downs-offs’. Of course, now that I have an official ‘McGregster pulling shirt’, ‘Chat-up lines’ have been rendered obsolete

My best one was a guy years ago (at ice-skating in Queensway) who was totally socially inept who said "I'd love to go out with you, you're not like other girls, your face isn't shaped like a shovel"

That was, I'm told, a compliment

The Original Scooby Dave Hancock's Avatar
    Originally posted by Pammy
    a guy who said "I'd love to go out with you, you're not like other girls, your face isn't shaped like a shovel"

How sweet! Are you still togethere?

Originally posted by Pammy

That was, I'm told, a compliment
    A guy at a dance the other week came up to me, sat down beside me and proceeded to "sell" himself to me, listed what he thought was okay to do and not to do within a relationship, how many times a week we should see each other to start with etc. All through this I said nothing.... I couldn't cos for once in my life I was gobsmacked! When he'd finished, he looked at me, clearly expecting me to fall into his arms with joy. I looked him straight in the eyes and said ..... "sorry, what did you say? I missed that?" He walked off in a huff!

Why? Can anyone explain to me why? Did I upset him in some way?

Originally posted by Bardsey
    ...All through this I said nothing.... I couldn't cos for once in my life I was gobsmacked! ...
    There is a god! you should have married him, there and then, cost the paracetamol(?) industry a fortune

I'm only joking hun! ...or am I

Originally posted by Boomer

I'm only joking hun! ...or am I
    oooh just wait til we meet face to mask! I could be coming down there soon, but don't know when just yet, so don't hold your breath.......on the other hand......

... so don't hold your breath.......on the other hand......
    Oh ouch!

Not a chat-up but a date thing, long-story short.

1st date, me and girl. Raining, me in desert-boots (quite snazzy) near the flicks. Cinema, has big marble step outside - raining. Me, feeling silly, tries to show off. hop-skip-jump onto step - raining, desert-boots, marble step- us, puzzled exchange of looks I as I slid past her on my bum (in slow-motion of course), feet in the air, brolly and arms flung-out for balance
    Last edited by Boomer; 20th-November-2003 at 02:49 PM.

Originally posted by Boomer
    as a slid past her on my bum (in slow-motion of course), feet in the air, brolly and arms flung-out for balance
    that made me laugh out loud.....thanks Boomster! You just redeemed yourself

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Why? Can anyone explain to me why? Did I upset him in some way?
    Dunno, but you do know dont you - that its ok to meet people on, say, a public forum. You could get chatting, you'd find out what a nice person they are, better than any other guy you've ever met , meet up around 2 or 3 times a week and maybe even share a McDonalds milkshake during week 4. Week 6 would see you sharing the straw and its then acceptable to want to think about marriage and the possibility of rearing socially inept children. My arms are now waiting for you to fall into them

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    maybe even share a McDonalds milkshake during week 4.
    Don't know about milkshakes, it's your wine gums you need to watch, and remember, it's always OUR LAGER

Boomer, that story made me laugh out loud! Thanks!

meet up around 2 or 3 times a week and maybe even share a McDonalds milkshake during week 4. Week 6 would see you sharing the straw and its then acceptable to want to think about marriage and the possibility of rearing socially inept children. My arms are now waiting for you to fall into them
    As long as that eh? I decided in the summer that I'd had enough of being alone so made a concerted effort and dated about 20 guys (just one date each). I couldn't believe how many talked about serious stuff like living together or marriage on that first date..... needless to say they didn't see me for dust! I've now decided to let fate take its course, if its going to at all! PLEASE, PLEASE Fate, let him be a dancer!!!!

Blog Entries
    The worst chat-up line ever used on me was at a ceroc venue shortly after I moved back to London and started working. The guy was a regular at my usual weekly venue. He was (and is) a very nice man and I usually had one or two very nice dances with him, and often a chat too, and on one occasion about his adult son (who was the same age as me).

Next week he used, more or less, these immortal words: "I know I'm old enough to be your father, but would you like to go out some time..."

I managed to turn him down politely and (I think) sensitively and still dance with him when I see him. It just seemed an odd way to predispose me to say yes.

As for worst chat up line I've ever used... don't really have one (I'm so terrible when it comes to even speaking to someone I have a crush on, much less trying to chat them up).

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Divissima

As for worst chat up line I've ever used... don't really have one (I'm so terrible when it comes to even speaking to someone I have a crush on, much less trying to chat them up).
    Hmm well 'Help me, Toby wan Kenobe. You're my only hope' is more of a plead than a chat-up line really isnt it

My prefered chat-up line is 'I know im old enough to be a Nobel Peace Prize winner, and you know...morally i should be. So do you fancy a shag?'

which is of course a perfectly good dance style. reminds me of a joke from 'The Detectives'. ..er..stop me if youve heard it...

To some a shag is a type of bird, to pipesmokers its a type of tobacco, to others its a type of dance, to me its just a remote possibility

Well I thought it was funny ...

I bet YOU did!

See you tomorrow/Saturday

Px

An Eclectic Toaster
    It's not quite a chat-up story, but it is true.

I was out with friends couple of months back in an Irish pub. Amongst them was a quiet lady I was fairly taken with, and she offered to get a round in. When she asked me what I wanted her to get, I said in all innocence (but rather loudly, having had a Guinness or 3), "Black Bush, please, and make it a neat one".

She didn't know her malts, but thankfully she did see the funny side...

I did once say to a girl at a 'disco' 'do you come here often' she wasn't impressed. Funny thing her friend married my brother. No I never went out with her and haven't seen her for years and years

In ceroc a couple of girls have asked 'are you dancing here or there etc' I've dated a few over the yrs, so know thats a chat up line ? Unless of course they say 'good I know where you dance I can avoid you now'

I think its sad that in the last 11yrs I have never been single for more then 3 weeks so often don't need to practice any chat up line ?:sorry

Originally posted by stewart38
    I think its sad that in the last 11yrs I have never been single for more then 3 weeks so
    Some would say sad, most would say lucky or is that show off unless you were taking the girls perspective ; but then again, there's only room for one Andy McGregor on this forum

My prefered chat-up line is 'I know im old enough to be a Nobel Peace Prize winner, and you know...morally i should be. So do you fancy a shag?'
    That was so funny!

To some a shag is a type of bird, to pipesmokers its a type of tobacco, to others its a type of dance, to me its just a remote possibility

[/QUOTE]

Chat up line............I think

After a 3 minute dance with a man in a strange town one Monday at the beginning of November, he uttered just 2 words. "Marry me" I grinned happily for days over that one. I was very flattered.

Whoever you were, thank you. It made my night and I'm still boasting about it. Errrrrr.................I hope that's not his regular chatup line

Thread Information