Thread: Braces for Ladies

Braces for Ladies

Stupidly I recently bought some trousers in a sale (half price) from River Island which I like and thought I could wear to dance in - without trying them on (it was very cold). Anyway, when I got them home I found they were a little too big and all the decorative stuff round the waist/hip band is completely non-functional. In a non-dancing situation they are just rather annoying as I constantly have to heave them up but they could potentially be very embarassing in a dance situation (especially if dancing with DTS ). I have had various pieces of advice including elastic, belt loops and seams but I thought braces might be an easy solution. I don't want to spend much money as the trousers were only £15. Any ideas where I might get some (or some belt loops)? The trousers are black with gold buttons.

Thanks!

Re: Braces for Ladies

Quote Originally Posted by Easily Led View Post
    Stupidly I recently bought some trousers in a sale (half price) from River Island which I like and thought I could wear to dance in - without trying them on (it was very cold). Anyway, when I got them home I found they were a little too big and all the decorative stuff round the waist/hip band is completely non-functional. In a non-dancing situation they are just rather annoying as I constantly have to heave them up but they could potentially be very embarassing in a dance situation (especially if dancing with DTS ). I have had various pieces of advice including elastic, belt loops and seams but I thought braces might be an easy solution. I don't want to spend much money as the trousers were only £15. Any ideas where I might get some (or some belt loops)? The trousers are black with gold buttons.

Thanks!
    find a dress maker and have them altered

• Cut the belt loops from an old pair of trousers/charity shop cheapies and sew them on (black is pretty easy to match fairly closely)
    or
    • Make belt loops using appropriately coloured ribbon/binding (you could match the colour of the belt rather than the trousers) or cut material from inside a hem for a perfect match
    or
    • Take the trousers in near the waist by sewing a small pie shaped slice from each side of the trousers on the inside at the top. If you make the shape very gradual so the outside is smooth, it won’t show. You might need to take twiddly bits off the waist first then (optionally) sew them back on again. If you are putting a belt with it then the belt could hide any alterations near the waist anyway.
    or
    • Try before you buy next time, or keep the receipt!
    Braces: old-fashioned manshop – Greenwoods? Or a department store? Or a charity/vintage shop? Claire’s? Sounds a bit of a dodgy option to me!

Might not be worth the faff. Give them to a larger friend and start again!

I love Braces and even belt and Braces, make a feature of them by wearing bright ones with accessories to match, are you at Ruby on 31st? i'll bring you some to try.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I love Braces and even belt and Braces, make a feature of them by wearing bright ones with accessories to match, are you at Ruby on 31st? i'll bring you some to try.
    Yes I am, and I thought I had seen you in some one time!

Quote Originally Posted by Easily Led View Post
    Yes I am, and I thought I had seen you in some one time!
    you have I have wore them quite a few times with different 'out fits' the last time I had some on was with cream trousers/ skirt with bright red bracers, and red bra

black and white is quite an easy look to pull off you just need a white shirt or blouse is very effective, if you look at stokies web page the is a photo of him and TB is a very sexy look.

see you at Ruby then

How about trying eBay? You can usually find what you're looking for there and usually at a reasonable price too.

Gotta love eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    How about trying eBay? You can usually find what you're looking for there and usually at a reasonable price too.

Gotta love eBay
    aint that the truth, i'm selling loads of bits on there at the moment, its been my saviour recently while shutting myself away

In fact today I got a friend of mine to bid for some with sequins on ebay. I am quite excited as I have never dared go on there ! I don't want to spend more than about £5 whatever happens.

Thread Information