Thread: New Version (3.8) of Forum software - new cool features!

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

New Version (3.8) of Forum software - new cool features!

Hi guys,

I have just upgraded the forum software to add the latest features. I believe some of them will make a huge difference to your user experience and have listed them below.
    Feel free to discuss them here, and to ask questions. If I have broken anything during the upgrade, post it here and I'll get it fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Franck.

NEW FEATURES ADDED:

Profile privacy (limit blocks to a subset of users)
    Lightbox navigation

Private message quick reply
    Private message throttling (limit messages sent over a time period)
    Private message reporting

Private message sorting and filtering

Messages are now viewed from top to bottom like threads, with quick replies being added at the bottom.
    Previously PM's were only sorted by date. Most people will find this best for their default view, but sometimes you want to see what messages you've had from other people. PM's can now be sorted by sender and title as well as date. Interestingly, the PM's continue to be grouped based on the chosen sort method. For example, if you select Sender, each message will be grouped by the username of the person who sent the message.
    ...and if you select title, the messages will be grouped within A-H, I-P, Q-Z, 0-9 et cetera.
    You can also find messages with a new filter that has been added to select messages within a date range, or by searching the sender or the message title.
    Previously you could select several messages to perform an action on them (such as move to folder or delete). However, your selection was limited to a single page. Now you can search through all of your PM's, selecting multiple messages from multiple pages and folders before performing an action on all of them.

Private Message History

A new private message history feature has been implemented. When you receive a message from another user that is inreply to something you sent them, you can now view a history of replies.
    This is useful when you receive a message from someone and you cannot recollect the original discussion. The message history keeps track of all messages that have been replied to back and forward since an original message, allowing you to view the full discussion. There are some caveats that should be noted:
    The message history will only ever show messages from your own message folders. For this reason, if you do not save sent messages then they will not be displayed; nor will messages that you delete.
    The message history only displays messages that are older than the current message.
    Message history will only be shown for PM's sent since vB 3.8 Beta 3.
    Messages sent since Beta 1 will show the message history option but it will display 'This message has no saved history'.
    If you save a copy of a PM when you send it, that PM will always have a message history option and open with 'This message has no saved history'.

Social group discussions

The social group messages have been threaded with the use of 'discussions'.

By default, the user who created the group can moderate their discussions and the messages within them.
    Discussions and messages now also have several features from forums and threads:

Full inline moderation (Discussions and Messages)
    Quick Editing (Messages)
    Subscriptions (Groups and Discussions)
    E-mail Notifications (Discussions)
    Social Bookmarking (Discussions)
    Read Marking (Groups and Discussions)

With read marking, users can mark discussions or entire groups as read, as well as automatic marking when users have read the last post of a discussion, or the last discussion of a group.

Social Group Categories
    Each Social Group now belongs to a category. Categories allow users to find groups that are relevant to them.
    Categories are included in the advanced search filters, and can also be viewed individually. Selecting a category displays only the social groups that are in that category.

Social Group Icons

When a user creates a social group, they will now be prompted to upload an icon during the group creation process. Additionally, the new usergroups and random usergroup on the group overview will favour groups that have icons. This ensures that the group overview appears interesting, and is not simply full of the default ? icon, as well as encouraging users to maintain their groups with interest.

Quick edit for newer types of content (visitor messages and picture comments)
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Re: New Version (3.8) of Forum software - new cool features!

Thanks Franck

The PM management features look like they will be very useful.

Now, if only the 'native' Search functionality could be improved.....

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've found a glitch...

In Private Messages, when you click to select a 'group' of PM's to delete or move etc. it doesn't work like it used to, I'm having to select them individually.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Hi Franck,

I just attempted to post a couple of Youtube videos on a thread, and I've noticed that there's no way to nicely embed a video clip onto a thread post is there?

The vBulletin v3 software allows for embedding things like Youtube videos using an upgrade.

Here's a link that provides instructions on how to upgrade a vBulletin-powered forum to allow users to post embedded Youtube clips in their posts, instead of putting a plain hyperlink.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199304

Would it be possible for this feature to be added to this here CerocScotland forum? Pretty please!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AussieJ View Post
    I just attempted to post a couple of Youtube videos on a thread, and I've noticed that there's no way to nicely embed a video clip onto a thread post is there?
    Thanks for the suggestion and looking up the solution

I have now activated the feature, so you can use the [youtube] tag to embed videos directly in any forum thread!
    Franck.

Quote Originally Posted by Franck View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion and looking up the solution

I have now activated the feature, so you can use the [youtube] tag to embed videos directly in any forum thread!
    Have you got an example / instructions? I've just tried it, but the "youtube window" bit just stays blank. I'm probably being stupid, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    Have you got an example / instructions? I've just tried it, but the "youtube window" bit just stays blank. I'm probably being stupid, but still...
    Use the [youtube] (and the enclosing) tag such that you place the {IDNUMBER} - the Youtube clip ID number - inside the tags - do NOT put the entire http://youtube.com/?watch={IDNUMBER} URL inside the tags.

That should work, because Franck tested it last night (see here), and I was able to do some more here

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    Good point!

You need to paste the reference code of the video (the last bit in the URL: youtube.com/watch?v=-fXulOk14D4) inside the [ youtube ] and [ /youtube ] tags, and it should just work.
    Franck.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Franck View Post
    Good point!

You need to paste the reference code of the video (the last bit in the URL: youtube.com/watch?v=-fXulOk14D4) inside the [ youtube ] and [ /youtube ] tags, and it should just work.
    like this ?

Cool; I was using the whole URL.

Testing...

Thread Information