Thread: Sad news for those that might have known him

Sad news for those that might have known him

Yesterday i had a phone call telling me that on saturday night one of the regulars from cerocmetro had a heart attack and died on the dance floor at orpington
    His name was Dave (i didnt know his surname) he was a big man balding with glasses and a heart of gold I think he was origonally from bristol area
    For the regulars of cheshunt he used to stand by the door to the bar
    This was the second heart attack he had on a dance floor the first was about nine years ago when he was dancing at bromley (he died then and was bought back by the quick action of from what i was told a paramedic who was there) anyone who knew him would have known this

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Sad news for those that might have known him

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    had a heart attack and died on the dance floor
    That's terrible news but thinking about it, we've all got to go someday and what a great way to go!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

How very very sad........I do recall him. Please send my heartfelt condolences to his family and to those he left behind.

This is very sad news indeed. "Bid Dave" was a lovely man and great fun to dance with. As Lory says though, this was probably one of the best ways to go - albeit sooner than we would all have liked it to be.

I’m really sad to hear this news. Really liked Dave had some great fun dances with him which always ended with him giving a kiss on the hand. We have not seen him for a while but had asked him. I will remember him with a smile

Yes - very sad. Great bloke. One of my earliest experiences at Cheshunt was meeting Dave - which I recounted in my blog in January 2007

I always enjoyed talking with him about Northern Soul - he knew his stuff and girls loved dancing with him. This is what I wrote

--------------------------------------------------------

SATURDAY, JANUARY 06, 2007

Cheshunt, 'Dead' Dave and the Police

As always, the stories and anecdotes provide the backbone to the jive experience. First the car was stopped by police with a defective light en route to Cheshunt Meltdown. It could have been a £30 fine they said: however the PC said I passed the 'attitude test' (I'm sooo nice!) so it was ok. Then getting stopped again on the way back: this time with 3 police in a big van who looked quite eager to make an entry on their scorecard...........but a flourish of the paperwork from the previous incident made their faces droop..................................

Well, after plenty of good dances, I was chatting towards the end with a guy who turned out to have the nickname 'Dead Dave'. This is because a few years ago, he was dancing in Bromley when he had a heart attack on the dance floor, swallowed his tongue and more..............fortunately there were 2 nurses, 1 doctor and a paramedic on the dance floor to help out - and the hospital was just a few hundred yards from the dance hall. Well, top that! I admired his comeback spirit and knowledge of dancing - and in particular, his love of soul/Motown - and we both felt there wasn't enough played at Ceroc/MJ. I could see he was an accomplished dancer - who entertained the women. His advice: "let it all go" (or words to that effect........ie just go for it). Good luck to you Dave!

See http://ceroc.blogspot.com/search?q=bromley+dave
    Last edited by JiveLad; 12th-January-2009 at 09:51 PM.

your right JL everyone called him "dead dave" when i wrote the origonal post i couldnt bring myself to use his nic name
    i was there when he died the first time at bromley i will never forget that they carried on with the dance that evening saying he would have wanted it now having known him all these years i know that was true
    let the dance go on dave wherever you are

I never met Dave but I extend my condolensces to his friends and family. So sad, but what a lovely way to go, doing what you love the most, dancing, and making people happy.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    I never met Dave but I extend my condolensces to his friends and family. So sad, but what a lovely way to go, doing what you love the most, dancing, and making people happy.
    I am another big Dave. My father died suddenly of a heart attack when younger than I am now. If it were to happen to me I hope that I would have enough time to stagger to a side room and not disrupt the night, but we do not get to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    I am another big Dave. My father died suddenly of a heart attack when younger than I am now. If it were to happen to me I hope that I would have enough time to stagger to a side room and not disrupt the night, but we do not get to choose.
    I would hope that even if it had happened in a side room the dance would have been disrupted images of someone staggering to a side room dont bear thinking about
    I do know however all his friends are glad for his sake that it happened quickly our only sadness is we didnt get to say goodbye

Bless his heart, but it is not a bad way to go. Going out in a room full of your friends and a nice tune to carry you off into the promoted land.

Wherever you are Dave keep dancing.

DTS XXX XXX

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    I admired his comeback spirit and knowledge of dancing - and in particular, his love of soul/Motown - and we both felt there wasn't enough played at Ceroc/MJ.
    I'm not sure if I danced with him or not as have not been to any of the venues mentioned.

A shame there were no medics around this time.

The British Heart Foundation recommend dancing, it may even have prolonged his life.

I agree with Dave that there is a dearth of soul/Motown. It is such uplifting music.

Jivelad, I really enjoyed our dance to Eye To Eye Contact on NYE.

Dead Dave was a gentleman through and through - he adored northern soul music. At Orpington on Saturday Gary had just played 2 fairly reare-ish Northern Soul tracks and was on his way to talk to Gary to say thanks and was intercepted by a lady for a dance. He then collapsed......CPR was done and they believe he came back for a short time but unfortunately not for long. It seems it was a pulmanary embalism that took him around 10.30pm. Dave died doing the thing he loved most and is most probably teaching the angels to dance to northern soul as we speak!

He was such a fab character and will be very sadly missed

Well Said, Dee. He was a lovely chap and it's definitely the way he would have wanted to go...

To Dave

Thankyou for that DD your are quite right he was loved by everyone

Thread Information