Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GRRRRRRRRRRRR! - inconsiderate dance floor etiquette

Originally posted by TheTramp
    Incidentally, the reason I dance on the edges at Camber, is because I find the flooring that Peter lays, preferable for dancing on than the main floor.
    It's a better floor, agreed. Not all women prefer it (their stuff is more sensitive to floor differences unless you're Trampy doing fancy kicky spins - some like extra slippiness, some don't).

I often ask whereabouts they would like to dance. If they say they don't mind I suggest a good night club down the road* . . .

*joke

Commercial Operator
    Incidentally, the reason I dance on the edges at Camber, is because I find the flooring that Peter lays, preferable for dancing on than the main floor.

Steve
    I agree, that bit of floor is better for me too. But I got quite a few women asking me to dance with them on the main floor so they must prefer that.

Actually. One thing that really gets on my nerves, and it was seen a lot at Camber.

You've got a really, really crowded dance floor. So, why hell do people stand talking 4 feet (or more) into the dance floor taking up valuable dancing space. And then people who are trying to walk round the edge, have to come further into the dance floor to get around them.

I always try to bump (myself) into them, gently (and of course, apologising), and this tends to give them the hint.

Steve

Steve, I inadvertantly did this at Bognor back in Janurary on one of the evenings, and I remember you communicating to me that it wasn't a good idea to stand two feet on the floor edge.

Thank you for doing this and reminding me to get into good habits.

What about the original post I made about someone who decides he can dance next to you within 50 cm during the middle of a record?

Registered User Tazmanian Devil's Avatar
    Originally posted by bigdjiver
    That may not be enough -

Many moons ago, as a beginner, at Fulham Town Hall, it was very crowded. I stood on a guys foot. :sorry I apologised and moved to another corner. Once again I had to turn and apologise - same guy!. I moved to another corner. No prizes for guessing, same thing same guy.

I have never been back there, I wonder if he has?

What a disaster!!!

Daphne
    I know what you mean about people standing on the edge of the dancefloor, getting in the way. Bumping into them 'accidentally' is not very good etiquette I would suggest. They are probably unaware of the angst they are causing, so it would perhaps be better just to stop dancing and politely explain it to them?

There was quite a bit of that at a freestyle event i went o last night. No fault of the organisers i must point out. At this particular venue (as with a lot) the tables etc had to be on the dance floor as there was nowhere else.

People seemed perfectly at ease with standing at the ends of the tables chatting. Then add to that the people walking up and down the dance floor and this seriously cuts off the amount of room left for dancing.
    As i say though, in most cases this is unavoidable as in this case but, obviously not ideal.

Dont know if anyone has ever been to the Luton venue. Fairly new venue which was built as part of Vauxhall's recreation scheme. Fantastic layout. Central, perfect, dancefloor and surround seating and all of top qualiy as well.

Grrrrrrr!-inconsiderate dance floor etiquette

I don't think it's true that jivers wouldn't attend the sort of intensive classes that Chris describes for salsa dancers. While there are always going to be some people that are content to dance to a fairly basic standard my experience is that many more are keen and willing to try pretty hard to improve their level of dancing. There are plenty of well-attended Cerocshops that bear this out.
    The kind of exercise designed to foster the ability to dance in a small space that he mentions would probably be particularly hard for novice dancers who are still struggling with other aspects of the dance- and there are always lots of such dancers at freestyles, luckily. Perhaps a bit more tolerance needed?

Re: Grrrrrrr!-inconsiderate dance floor etiquette

Originally posted by jivecat
    I don't think it's true that jivers wouldn't attend the sort of intensive classes that Chris describes for salsa dancers. While there are always going to be some people that are content to dance to a fairly basic standard my experience is that many more are keen and willing to try pretty hard to improve their level of dancing. There are plenty of well-attended Cerocshops that bear this out.
    The kind of exercise designed to foster the ability to dance in a small space that he mentions would probably be particularly hard for novice dancers who are still struggling with other aspects of the dance- and there are always lots of such dancers at freestyles, luckily. Perhaps a bit more tolerance needed?
    I think both are good - the tolerance and the developing of dance floor skills. There was one other ceroccer there - she already had the floorcraft IMO but said she went to get the salsa terms. She did comment about the big difference in the teaching model to me afterwards though. Cerocshops are advertised as intensive but in reality use much the same model as ceroc classes. Ceroc style workshops seem to vary a lot depending who does them, but they are definitely not what I'd call intensive. Ceroc is run (and run well) as a business and can't afford to take the sort of chances that individual salsa teachers often do. Ceroc, I think, relies on institutionalised friendliness to get people coming back.

floorcraft for lucky Londoners

Just noticed in Amir's newsletter:

"In this weeks routine at Hipsters we will discuss slot dancing and changing directions, both vitally important for safety on a crowded floor"

Re: floorcraft for lucky Londoners

Originally posted by Chris
    Just noticed in Amir's newsletter:

"In this weeks routine at Hipsters we will discuss slot dancing and changing directions, both vitally important for safety on a crowded floor"
    At Rockbottoms Nigel was emphasizing the slot approach. Lets you pack even more dancers onto a floor. As he pointed out we all do it in lessons anyway ( dance in slots that is)

Maybe you could book your own slot, with choice of floor surface, perhaps even colour coded , for slow, medium, fast , Trampy or Andy and Nutter (this one could be fenced / electrified etc )

Originally posted by Scooby Doo
    I know what you mean about people standing on the edge of the dancefloor, getting in the way. Bumping into them 'accidentally' is not very good etiquette I would suggest. They are probably unaware of the angst they are causing, so it would perhaps be better just to stop dancing and politely explain it to them?
    I can't see how a person could not be aware. I am always surpised when getting on a crowded tube train how often people will try to shove their way in before other people can get off. There is even an announcement at most stations saying "let the other passangers off the train before getting on".

Its quite uncomfortable telling other people what to do when you don't really have any authority over them as they can aggresively tell you to get stuffed. It is much easier to be passive-agressive and trip them as they get on to the train and then walk over them (ok I don't actually do that, but I would like to).

HD

Originally posted by horsey_dude
    It is much easier to be passive-agressive and trip them as they get on to the train and then walk over them (ok I don't actually do that, but I would like to).
    That reminds me, how's that anger management course working out?

Ok last night I was in Hove, I picked the other venue that Andy didn't go to..

Anyway I was dancing last night (we'll I am in a jive venue after all!)
    During the record , all of sudden bump my back has taken a knock. Look up some tall big man (6 feet 3 and broad) has just bumper car'd me. 20 minutes later it happens again to the partner I am with - I look up and it's the same bloke

5 minutes later I am watching and there is a 1.5 metre gap around this bloke. I watched him closely. The poor chap is trying his best but is making two errors

1) He has his arms straight on moves like the octopus
    2) His steps are huge in between moves.

This guy wasn't as inconsiderate as the chap in Surrey, when I started the thread who commenced a dance within 50cm of me. I don't know what to suggest in terms of being constructive. Should I have offered him some advice??

Originally posted by Jon L
    Ok last night I was in Hove dancing During the record , all of sudden bump my back has taken a knock. Look up some tall big man (6 feet 3 and broad) has just bumper car'd me. 20 minutes later it happens again to the partner I am with - I look up and it's the same bloke
    I don't know what to suggest in terms of being constructive. Should I have offered him some advice??
    best not, wrong time - wrong place - wrong size

Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
    best not, wrong time - wrong place - wrong size
    Uggghhhh!

Commercial Operator
    Ok last night I was in Hove, I picked the other venue that Andy didn't go to..
    It was such a difficult choice. In the end I left the choice to Sue and she wanted to do the Nigel and Nina lesson. I had a great night because I had lovely dances with a number of nice dancers who I hadn't danced with for a while - inluding Nina and John Sweeny

Graham's music was the same as it usually is and Nigel and Nina's lesson was fantastic.

This guy wasn't as inconsiderate as the chap in Surrey, when I started the thread who commenced a dance within 50cm of me. I don't know what to suggest in terms of being constructive. Should I have offered him some advice??
    The best advice would have been 'there's nice dances you should go to in Hertfordshire'

Thread Information