Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GRRRRRRRRRRRR! - inconsiderate dance floor etiquette

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
    Don't worry you probably will one day
    I've tried. I even tried it when I owned a house with an indoor pool but it wasn't any good without the poster - it wasn't naughty enough if there wasn't a rule to break

Commercial Operator
    The above post posted twice and I couldn't delete it so I've had to think of something else to say.

Can't think of a thing

OK so I was lying

When I see people dancing particularly dangerously near me I simply move away. It's why I spent some time learning footwork.

Once or twice in the past because I'm brave and gobby I've spoken to the guy and pointed out the possible consquences of their drop/airstep etc. I don't do it any more because it only seems to make a difference to their dancing for a few tracks. But it makes a difference to my relationship with them for much longer - which is why I now just move to another part of the floor.
    Last edited by Andy McGregor; 21st-November-2003 at 07:47 PM.

As soon as someone starts getting to close I just move away. Some people you recognise and just make sure your out of their way.

But it's not fair why should we be considerate and dance small when the inconsiderate ones end up using the space we give them.

I'm fed up with ladies telling me they were used as a battering ram to clear floor space. Guys for petes sake how attractive is a brusied lady eh!

I could see lots of beginners may not come back if subjected to this kind of treatement.

BUT whats even worse is people who walk straight across the dance floor for no other reason than to get to the other side. They arnt even going to dance and sometimes are carrying drinks! Wise up people be considerate to your fellow cerocers.

Prehaps we need a foot ball yellow/red card system where when you get a red card your band from the venue for a month.

Ok I appologise for this post but this subject always makes me annoyed.

Registered User Tazmanian Devil's Avatar
    Originally posted by Jon
    As soon as someone starts getting to close I just move away.
    Oh dear hunny you do sound insecure!!

Originally posted by Jon
    BUT whats even worse is people who walk straight across the dance floor for no other reason than to get to the other side. They arnt even going to dance and sometimes are carrying drinks! Wise up people be considerate to your fellow cerocers.
    I will have to agree with you there, If the track has started, you can see that everyone is dancing why even bother to attempt to walk through the dance floor?

Originally posted by Jon
    Prehaps we need a foot ball yellow/red card system where when you get a red card your band from the venue for a month.
    A little drastic dont you think?

Originally posted by Jon
    Ok I appologise for this post but this subject always makes me annoyed.

Now sit down, Take a few deep breaths and Breath!!

Jon wrote..
    Perhaps we need a football yellow/red card system where when you get a red card your band from the venue for a month.
    And Taz replied...
    A little drastic dont you think?
    I agree with Taz. It is a little drastic. It should be much more drastic... 6 MONTHS

Girls, please would you explain to a simpleton like me....

... why do you continue to dance with eejits that stick your head in the way of people's feet or use you as a blunt instrument to clear space on the floor?

You know who the dangerous dancers are, but you put up with it.

I just don't understand.

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by ChrisA
    Jon wrote.. And Taz replied...
    I agree with Taz. It is a little drastic. It should be much more drastic... 6 MONTHS
    Or maybe we should make them dance the woman's part for a night - or even worse, dance the woman's part once with one of the other inconsiderate nutters

... why do you continue to dance with eejits that stick your head in the way of people's feet or use you as a blunt instrument to clear space on the floor?
    I'd never thought of that. I choose The Tramp as my blunt instrument

Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    I choose The Tramp as my blunt instrument
    Good choice.

You each have your own floor-clearing skills

Chris

PS Wot is the point of all that orange sh1te?

Registered User Tazmanian Devil's Avatar
    Or maybe we should make them dance the woman's part for a night - or even worse, dance the woman's part once with one of the other inconsiderate nutters

I'd never thought of that. I choose The Tramp as my blunt instrument

Now thats not very nice is it!!

Commercial Operator
    PS Wot is the point of all that orange sh1te?
    You need to adjust your screen, it's chocolate

I just felt in need of a literary quotation and Peter Pan was the nearest book. Don't you like it?

You need to adjust your screen, it's chocolate
    You need to adjust your taste buds, it's bloody orange I tell ya
    I just felt in need of a literary quotation and Peter Pan was the nearest book. Don't you like it?
    I dunno, should I read it?

Chris

Commercial Operator
    You need to adjust your taste buds, it's bloody orange I tell ya
    [SIZE=2][FONT=times new roman][COLOR=chocolate]CHAPTER EIGHT - The Mermaids Lagoon

I dunno, should I read it?

Chris
    Just once, but only if you can read the last few words and only feel a little whistful about your own lost youth. They are;

"When Margaret grows up she will in turn have a daughter, who is to be Peter's mother in turn; and thus it will go on, so long as children are gay and innocent and heartless.

Originally posted by Jon
    As soon as someone starts getting to close I just move away. .
    That may not be enough -

Many moons ago, as a beginner, at Fulham Town Hall, it was very crowded. I stood on a guys foot. :sorry I apologised and moved to another corner. Once again I had to turn and apologise - same guy!. I moved to another corner. No prizes for guessing, same thing same guy.

I have never been back there, I wonder if he has?

The Forum Legend
    Actually. One thing that really gets on my nerves, and it was seen a lot at Camber.

You've got a really, really crowded dance floor. So, why hell do people stand talking 4 feet (or more) into the dance floor taking up valuable dancing space. And then people who are trying to walk round the edge, have to come further into the dance floor to get around them.

I always try to bump (myself) into them, gently (and of course, apologising), and this tends to give them the hint.

Of course, there was one guy (talking to a couple of young ladies) at Camber, who was at least 2 yards away from the seating area. And I bumped into him 3 times. And he still stood there!!

The other gripe that no-one has mentioned, is people walking onto the dance floor without looking or taking into consideration the dancers (often talking). While you can watch out for the people around you, when someone just appears on the dance floor from nowhere, it's often impossible to avoid them. Can't people just look where they are going??

Steve

How about notices near the door:

"The dance floor is for dancing on.

If you are walking please do so round the edge of the dance floor and not across it."

Commercial Operator
    The other thing I've noticed people do is collect a new partner then move to the edges of a fairly empty dance floor to start dancing. That means there is a moat of dancing couples around the nice clear(ish) centre of the dance floor. Dancers joining the floor later have to negotiate this 'moat' of dancers to get to the space in the middle.

And if you dance too near the edge you don't leave room for people to even walk around the edge of the dance floor like we hope they will - I speak about this as someone who has been knocked out by a dancer while walking around the very edge of the dance floor This event won't be repeated in the same venue as it happened on the very, very last time I ever attended Jeff Jasper's Tuesday class in Brighton - I suppose it wasn't a good night for me, I got knocked out and told by Jeff to 'go fu*k yourself'

I must admit I've been guilty of dancing near the edge of the floor in the past because it is tempting to use the edges where you have at least one side you don't have to watch for danger. Also, at the end of the track it's easier to get to the people sitting down to grab a fresh partner for the next dance. But it is selfish and means that for the first few bars of the track you've got couples weaving past you to get to a space.

. . . I got knocked out . . . If you shut your eyes and are a lucky one, you may see at times a shapeless pool of lovely pale colours suspended in the darkness . . .
    I think I see what you mean . . .

Originally posted by TheTramp
    Actually. One thing that really gets on my nerves, and it was seen a lot at Camber.

You've got a really, really crowded dance floor. So, why hell do people stand talking 4 feet (or more) into the dance floor taking up valuable dancing space. And then people who are trying to walk round the edge, have to come further into the dance floor to get around them.
    At the top end of camber dance floor (by steps) I thought about a 4' wide strip with non slip paint as a walkway cos this is a nightmare walking thru
    but would it solve the problem? or would it become an area to stand, reduce dance space and still have problem of 'walkers' on the dance floor?
    What do you think?

Would a separate chill out seating area (non smoking) away from the main dance area (games room) be welcome or a waste of time?

any other suggestions on Camber/Bognor

(I have also put this on Camber thread)

The Forum Legend
    Hmmm. Personal opinion? I think that there's already a lack of space to dance in upstairs at Camber, and that 4' of dance floor might be wasted walk space. Also, I think that it would just be full of people standing around, so the people walking around would just have to encroach on the dance floor anyhow.

Don't think that there is an reasonable way of doing anything constructive. It's a lot better now, than it used to be....

Incidentally, the reason I dance on the edges at Camber, is because I find the flooring that Peter lays, preferable for dancing on than the main floor.

Steve

Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
    would it become an area to stand, reduce dance space and still have problem of 'walkers' on the dance floor? Would a separate chill out seating area (non smoking) away from the main dance area (games room) be welcome or a waste of time?
    any other suggestions on Camber/Bognor
    My feeling is there's plenty of spaces in Cambers and Bognor to just stand or sit if that's what you want to do, but personally I don't think that's the reason - there's usually a lot more girls - they understandably stand where they might get noticed and asked to dance - often in clusters. Guys come and chat to them. Dancers get hacked off.

Introduce some method of making the numbers more even. If it doesn't help reduce the dance floor chatterers it would at least alleviate one of the gripes about Cambers.

Either that or have more dance floor marshals . . .

The Forum Legend
    Oh. Meant to say that I don't think a chill out area would have any benefit. If people aren't dancing, I think that they like to be somewhere where they can watch the dancing. It'd probably be empty most of the time I think...

Steve

Thread Information