Thread: Tiscali wireless broadband

Tiscali wireless broadband

This is a last desperate attempt to get my Tiscali wireless broadband configured. I managed to break the installation CD they sent with the wireless modem and after various phone conversations with people in Delhi (as helpful as they could be) they said it was not possible for me to be a given a new CD, they'd suggested all the options that Tiscali operatives were trained in, and that the problem must lie in my brand new laptop being faulty, and being too weak to pick up the signal. (I doubt it somehow, it picks up the neighbour's OK.) In addition, a friend who is a software engineer has also run out of solutions.

Anyone here got any ideas? My best hope is that someone, by a staggering coincidence, has got the CD for a Netgear modem, DG834G v3, and is prepared to lend it to me.

Re: Tiscali wireless broadband

Have you tried Netgear's own support page for the DG834Gv3?

It's here.

That includes a download of the latest firmware (which is what any CD would probably contain), plus troubleshooting instructions and the like.

Beyond that, not sure hot to help you without knowing something more specific about the problem.

I bought that router as well Heather and set mine up without a CD. However I did need a wired connection to it initially in order to do so (because the configuration is done via webpages served from the router - type http://192.168.0.1 in your web browser to access these - there may be a default password, I can't remember but it should be in the manual). I don't have tiscali so I don't know what their configuration settings are though I would guess they are similar to mine if you have ADSL broadband.

Basically, what I am saying is that you can do it without the CD but you'll need certain information from Tiscali. The settings I think you need (together with the values I have and which are probably the same for you) are below

Network Type (Encapsulation) - PPPoA
    VPI - 0
    VCI - 38
    Your tiscali user ID & password

This will set up your Internet connection

Then in Wireless settings you will need to configure the name and level of security of your wireless network - this should all be explained in the netgear manual (copy on their website if you don't have it)

Robert

As far as I know you don't need the installation disc. Go to http://192.168.0.1/ and configure the modem. Hope this helps.

The Dashing Moderator

What's the exact problem - for example is the problem
    (a) in connecting your laptop via Wireless to the router, or
    (b) is it that the router isn't connecting to Tiscali broadband properly or
    (c) something else?

For example, can you connect your laptop to the router using an ethernet cable? (If you're lucky there'll be an ethernet cable in the box with your router.) It won't help the wireless but it will at least allow you to connect to the router and find out if the router's talking to the broadband connection and change settings (I suspect this is what the Tiscali CD would do).
    Love dance, will travel

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I don't have tiscali so I don't know what their configuration settings are
    I think I've found them here: http://www.tiscali.co.uk/help/broadb..._settings.html
    Router Settings

This page is intended for Tiscali Broadband Customers who are using their own Broadband Equipment rather than using the Tiscali provided modem.

If you are experiencing any problems with installation and connectivity issues you should, in the first instance, consult the manufacturers manual, website, and/or the manufacturers technical support team. Some configuration parameters that you may need to get the device to communicate across the broadband network are listed below:

Virtual Circuit Identifier - VCI 38
    Virtual Path Identifier - VPI 0
    Encapsulation Mode VCMux
    Authentication Type CHAP
    Protocol RFC 2364: PPP over ATM (PPPoA)
    Modulation Type G.DMT or Auto
    Tiscali Primary DNS Server 212.74.112.66
    Tiscali Secondary DNS Server 212.74.112.67
    But it's more or less what Rob says - you may not need the other settings.
    Love dance, will travel

Regarding the password I remember just pressing enter when the screen appeared.

Commercial Operator

I agree that you shouldn't need the CD. I have one of these, and while I was with Tiscali (who I will never touch again with any kind of bargepole) at the beginning, the default settings worked, but then they changed something, and I had to call them up - they talked me through changing the settings on the router so that I could connect again. I forget exactly what it was that changed, but I'm pretty sure it's one of the things in DavidY's list.

Thanks guys, I knew you wouldn't let me down, I really appreciate your support..

I have already tried some of these things and been to the Netgear page. I assumed it would provide a staightforward download of whatever is on the CD but this did not seem to be the case. It's several weks since I tried so I can't remember the exact details. I also had problems with passwords which Tiscali did help sort out, and should now be OK.

I managed to set up broadband on the laptop using the wired modem, but not the wireless modem - which should help as I can then download any necessary material directly.

Miguel - I'm afraid I couldn't make that link work, the page was not available!

I've printed all the details you've given me and will give it another go on Weds. I can usually manage about an hour of messing about with it before the urge to chuck the machine through the window becomes too strong.

If all else fails I'll phone Tiscali again and act innocent about having been told it was the laptop that was faulty.

Thread Information