Thread: Slumdog Millionaire

Slumdog Millionaire

I saw a preview of this film today and it is amazing I would say it is one of the best films I have seen in recent years, the acting is fab (especially from the child actors) the story is ultimately beautiful and I cannot recommend it highly enough. It is harrowing and heartbreaking at times but well worth seeing!

Re: Slumdog Millionaire

I watched this film last night and it really is excellent. As jive-vee says, very harrowing at times, but definitely recommended

Commercial Operator

Saw this on Friday, and absolutely loved it - I'd say it was better than anything I watched in 2008. Great start to the movie-seeing year

Blog Entries

I dont think i could watch this. Its far too sad/harrowing for me.

I watched beaches the other night. Big mistake. Balled my eyeballs out for 20mins. Scarface then asked me if i was ok and i started again.. another 20mins. Went to bed looking like a bug. Red eyes... swollen eyelids and sniffles.

I cant do sad films.. i just cant handle it.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    I cant do sad films.. i just cant handle it.
    I'm not going to claim this is a blissfully happy film throughout, because it isn't - there's certainly enough harrowing moments, and I found it something of an emotional roller-coaster... but overall, a sad film it certainly isn't - it's more uplifting than anything else, IMHO. Also, in a few places, absolutely hilarious.

If you haven't already, watch the trailer - it gives (for once) a very accurate 'flavour' of the film.
    Last edited by straycat; 19th-January-2009 at 03:16 PM.

I am planning on going to see this here in Glasgow, I have heard nothing but glowing reviews about this film. Try as I might to not have high expectations (and typically when I watch a film with high expectations I seem to get a let-down), I think I will be in for a great film-watching experience!

Have read the book (titled Q & A by Vikas Swarup) and it was an unexpected delight. Have not seen the film yet,but am planning to do so. Be intersesting to see how Danny Boyle has directed this and if it differs greatly from the book.

Saw this film Sat night.. Hadn't heard much about it but heard that it was supposed to be really good.. i really enjoyed it... i dont have much of an attention span for films but this one kept me watching

would recommend it

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rogboy View Post
    Have read the book (titled Q & A by Vikas Swarup)
    Ah - I wondered if it was that one.

I heard the radio dramatisation of the book last year (or maybe 2007?? - it was repeated a few weeks ago though), and when I say what Slumdog Millionaire was about, I wondered if it was the same story.

The radio version was very good - it won a Sony Radio Award for Drama.

(Guess it means I'll know the ending of the film though!)
    Love dance, will travel

Great film - worth the credit is has been given

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Went to see this yesterday and it was well worth seeing on a large screen as the slums scenes were amazing , especially the aerial ones. The only thing that puzzled me and I don't know if it was poetic licence, but are contestants generally given the question, as the hero was about a cricketer, and then allowed to go for a break? Otherwise, fantastic, like Dickens but more sexy and colourful! I also like running in films - much better than car chases IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Easily Led View Post
    I also like running in films....
    I don't - if anything it's more annoying that kids chucking popcorn. Why can't people just stay in their seats?

Beo and I saw this last night and both really enjoyed it. Bit grim in places, but I guess that is the reality of an Indian slum. But also inventive and touching, and very funny in places. Great film. I also heard the radio production last year (wasn't it book of the week on Radio 4?)

The Bollywood style dance scene at the end kept most of the audience watching though the credits... did anyone else spot the MJ-style moves in amongst the bhangra dancing?!

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    ...The Bollywood style dance scene at the end kept most of the audience watching though the credits..
    I thought that was fab !! Hope someone learns it to use in a cabaret or a 'stroll' type dance for big events - looks like a lot of fun

Is it on YouTube ???

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Easily Led View Post
    I also like running in films
    Is Harrison Ford a favourite of yours? He does "running and looking confused" in films very well!

The Bollywood style dance scene at the end kept most of the audience watching though the credits... did anyone else spot the MJ-style moves in amongst the bhangra dancing?!
    I proudly turned to my muggle friend and declared "I can do some of those moves"
    I did wonder if some of our great and wonderous teachers could pick out any other moves that we could learn? Though I cant really remember anything specific that could be 'borrowed'.

I finally got around to watching this film a few days prior to going to Ceroc Southport - twas really good and well done. I really liked how it sync'ed the Millionaire quiz with Jamal's past and events throughout his childhood, forwarded onto the present.

I was slightly distracted by the 2nd last quiz question - as it was a cricket question, it was ridiculously easy for me - I just knew it instantly and inside my head was going: "c'mon Jamal, its sooo easy, its D - Jack Hobbs !!!" :-D

As others pointed out, I liked the Bollywood dance segment they did right at the very end, some MJ moves were spotted - I had no one to proclaim it to though haha

The film is utterly brilliant. I really enjoyed it... would post more but I'm at work.

It is an enjoyable, entertaining and bittersweet film. In some ways, Kite Runner (similar-ish genre) was much deeper at many levels, however as a cinematic experience, SlumDog deserves the plaudits.

Yeah - and the dancing at the end was cool.

There was one bit which was lifted directly out of Trainspotting.....diving into the ****.......

Yes, see below

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    I thought that was fab !! Hope someone learns it to use in a cabaret or a 'stroll' type dance for big events - looks like a lot of fun

Is it on YouTube ???

This is the original ending sequence with credits. Its a bit annoying however, as the aspect ratio makes it looked squashed

this has correct 4:3 aspect ratio, but the person edited the video such that the credit bits were replaced by the dance segments. So in essence, some dance sequences are repeated and aren't exactly in sync with the song music

Quote Originally Posted by gamebird View Post
    I proudly turned to my muggle friend and declared "I can do some of those moves"
    I did wonder if some of our great and wonderous teachers could pick out any other moves that we could learn? Though I cant really remember anything specific that could be 'borrowed'.
    My quick analysis - as a non-teacher(!) - I count :-
    1) a travelling spin by the follower across the front of the lead, with lead doing a left-hand wrap-in and change to right hand to wrap out the follower to the other side with a hand change in the middle to assist
    2) a salsa-ish(?) move with right-to-right clasp grip with right knee bended and trailing leg and arm straightened out behind
    3) bring follower up close face-to-face in a snappy fashion, and then slow layback and swing follower 90 deg left-to-right
    4) lead inside-turns the follower one turn into a seducer, then laybacks the follower with a 45 degree slant
    5) a lady walk-around, led with one hand over the top of the lead's head

Thread Information