Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign up HERE for 2009's diet and fitness club!

Blog Entries

Re: Sign up HERE for 2009's diet and fitness club!

Day 10 of no smoking for me and Scarface. I have an extrordinarily strong and overpowering desire for sweet stuff... all the time. This is strange as it has only just come over me last few days.

I need it to go or a tip to get rid of it ASAP.

Ate about 10 mint truffles today and i dont even like truffles.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    DI have an extrordinarily strong and overpowering desire for sweet stuff... all the time.

How about a cube of Jelly to suck.. quite disgusting I know but its low in fat, very sweet and takes a long time to eat..

.. But No chewing allowed!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Day 10 of no smoking for me and Scarface. I have an extrordinarily strong and overpowering desire for sweet stuff... all the time. This is strange as it has only just come over me last few days.

I've read that if you put something sweet on a hankie e.g. melted chocolate, vanilla food flavouring etc. and smell it frequently, you'll soon get sick of it and stop craving sweet things. Haven't tried it myself though.

I have an extrordinarily strong and overpowering desire for sweet stuff... all the time. This is strange as it has only just come over me last few days.

Try dried dates (super sweet), dried figs, sultanas, raisens or dried apricots.

Tesco sell them in the dried fruit section, near cake making - but don't look at that.

Sainsburys do that best dried fruit mixture in a large bag.

Also when buying dried fruit, get the ones where the fruit sticks together.

The ones where they don't stick together have some chemical added.

Well, I managed to lose 24lbs before Christmas and was hoping to reach my target by 6 weeks into the new year. Unfortunately I've injured my leg badly and have been told I can't run or dance etc. (that wasn't me at Rutherglen on Saturday, it was just someone who looked a bit like me ) while I wait for referral to a physio

I'm finding it really difficult to stay motivated when I can't exercise

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Well, I managed to lose 24lbs before Christmas and was hoping to reach my target by 6 weeks into the new year. Unfortunately I've injured my leg badly and have been told I can't run or dance etc. (that wasn't me at Rutherglen on Saturday, it was just someone who looked a bit like me ) while I wait for referral to a physio

Sorry to hear that Isis, hope your leg heals nicely.

I've read that if you put something sweet on a hankie e.g. melted chocolate, vanilla food flavouring etc. and smell it frequently, you'll soon get sick of it and stop craving sweet things. Haven't tried it myself though.
    You can get vanilla patches which when you crave sweet things you sniff, and it gives you the hit and tricks you into thinking you've had the sweet thing you craved. I've tried them in the past and they're actually pretty good (but a nightmare to get off your wrist!). I didn't eat or crave chocolate for ages afterwards and I'm a real chocoholic. Good for getting you out of the habit.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moondancer View Post
    I think your name sounds very practical, to the point, and stands absolutely no nonsense! Not like some of these airy fairy names...
    Hey, who you calling "airy fairy".... Moon Dancer ...pffft

I suppose "David Bailey" is a bit suspect right enough

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Well, I managed to lose 24lbs before Christmas and was hoping to reach my target by 6 weeks into the new year. Unfortunately I've injured my leg badly and have been told I can't run or dance etc.

Swimming ? Always good for recovery i think. Get well soon

Hiya Lovely, really sorry to here you are not so good, hope things better soon
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Hey, who you calling "airy fairy".... Moon Dancer ...pffft

This thread is really putting my Food and consumers studies degree to work, suddenly feel like all that money might actually have been worth it!

Smoking cause the biggest kind of craving, so whilst you are a smoker you are more likely to crave a cigarette than anything sweet. You have given up the smoking and dealt with the cravings for that. Your body, no longer craving nicotine, is now more sensitive to your craving for sweet foods (you have always had this but it has been over ridden by the nicotine cravings).

It's difficult but you need to treat the craving in the same ways as you did the one for the cigarettes. All the tips that others have written are really great idea. I find Spearmint polos work quite well, they are sweet tasting and not as many calories as chocolates. I also try having a bowl of small fruits like grapes or chopped up fruit ready to eat so that I don't go for the chocolates!

Unfortunately the craving for sweeter foods is sometimes more difficult to crack than that for nicotine as it is an inbuilt preference that we have had since birth. It goes back to the times of hunter gatherers when it was necessary to depend on taste to decide whether a food was safe to eat. Fruit, which would have been a primary food sources, is sweet whilst it is fresh but as it goes off it tends to develop a bitter/sour taste. So to prevent us from eating foods which could be dangerous to our health we inherently have a preference for sweet foods over bitter/sour ones.

Oh and congrats on the 10 days no smoking!

Personally, I haven't had a very good week with the healthy eating or the fitness stuff. I've had a chest infection which has meant that I haven't been able to do much excercise (even climbing the stairs brings on a fit of coughing at the moment, although have been better today) plus my brother is still home from uni and Mum has been cooking all his favourite meals which are not the healthiest options (macaroni cheese last night) and I have found them very hard to resist!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Swimming ? Always good for recovery i think. Get well soon
    Thanks. I thought swimming would be a good idea too but the first physio I saw said no to that. I think although it's easier on the joints, I've probably damaged a muscle or a tendon so it could still be bad for me.

Let's hope that the problem with your leg is just a minor setback on your way to your target. What a fantastic weight loss so far - well done . It must be really hard to stay motivated whilst you are waiting for your referral, but if you can keep in mind what you have managed to achieve so far that might help you stay positive.

[quote=Astro;527141]Try dried dates (super sweet), dried figs, sultanas, raisens or dried apricots.

quote]

I know that Trouble is craving something sweet but dried fruit is a nightmare in terms of how much sugar is in them compared to how filling they are for example a small bunch of grapes would be more filling than a tablespoon of raisins.

Another suggestion is chuppa chup lollypops now have a sugar free version -might be an option to have a couple in the car. "Who loves ya baby" (blimey some people on this forum are so young that they might not get the reference ).

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in Notts View Post
    Who loves ya baby" (blimey some people on this forum are so young that they might not get the reference ).
    I got the reference
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

I have an extrordinarily strong and overpowering desire for sweet stuff... all the time. This is strange as it has only just come over me last few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    How about a cube of Jelly to suck.. quite disgusting I know but its low in fat, very sweet and takes a long time to eat..

.. But No chewing allowed!
    to the jelly, but if you don't fancy sucking on a cube of it, try making up some individual sugar free jellies (you can buy them individually ready to eat or I saved the little pots and make up a sachet's worth at a time). I find they're sweet enough to satisfy the sweet craving to the point I don't always even finish one (despite having a whole mouthful of sweet teeth!) and I bet you use more calories to eat them as are in them, cos it works out at something stupid like 10 calories a pot.

Thinking about joining the club again soon myself - but not till the exams are over and I've savoured the fancy chocolates I've been saving since Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    You can get vanilla patches which when you crave sweet things you sniff, and it gives you the hit and tricks you into thinking you've had the sweet thing you craved. I've tried them in the past and they're actually pretty good (but a nightmare to get off your wrist!). I didn't eat or crave chocolate for ages afterwards and I'm a real chocoholic. Good for getting you out of the habit.
    Where can one buy these vanilla patches?

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in Notts View Post
    I know that Trouble is craving something sweet but dried fruit is a nightmare in terms of how much sugar is in them compared to how filling they are for example a small bunch of grapes would be more filling than a tablespoon of raisins.
    Is it natural sugar Jan, like the sugar in fresh fruit?

They don't add sugar do they?

Also how fattening is dried fruit, anyone know?

Blog Entries

Thanks you guys.

Especially the lollipops idea... i had forgotten all about them. They are excellent to get rid of a sweet craving and last for ages. I will endeavour to buy some this weekend and keep them in my bag. I have also made up a big bowl of jelly with fruit in it for me and Scarface to munch on if we get a sweet craving at home. We have found that we like 0% fat natural activia yoghurt which is lovely with it as well.

Gym tonight and im hoping to go for a little dancing at cheshunt afterwards. Tango lessons tommorow morning so quite an active couple of days.... Mind you... Italian meal with both sets of parents saturday nite with a few bottles of red....so... will be working extra hard tonight. OH and another important break through today. Lift conked out at london office... three flights of stairs up. Did it without a blink of an eye today.... YAAAAY

Day 11 SMOKEFREE. XXXXXX

Thread Information