Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign up HERE for 2009's diet and fitness club!

Re: Sign up HERE for 2009's diet and fitness club!

The cold weather is good for those of us in the club, as the body burns more fuel, in order to keep warm.

Looking at diet from the Eastern angle - they say that because no two bodies are alike, then different diets (as in foodstuffs, timing of eating, drinking etc.,) affect everyone differently.

So what works for me, may not work for you.

They work out the type of body metabolism for the individual, and then reccommend certain foods.

Apart from the obvious differences in food, colours also count. So, for instance, a certain body type would benefit healthwise from red/orangy coloured foods.

On a different note, scientists are now saying that fat on the thighs and buttocks is not dangerous fat. To do with chlostreal- I'm not scientific - whereas fat on the stomach is more dangerous.

This is because it's not good to have too much fat around the heart area.

So the English Pear Shape is the healthiest.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    On a different note, scientists are now saying that fat on the thighs and buttocks is not dangerous fat. To do with chlostreal- I'm not scientific - whereas fat on the stomach is more dangerous.
    Hoorah! At last, I've got 'something' that's not bad!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Always knew being pear-shaped was good!

After being a bit rubbish on the food front on Friday, and having eaten out on Wed evening, have been for a nice chilly walk up over the fields and hill behind us. Didn't have the dogs to pull me up the hill, but 40mins walk will hopefully have helped offset some of the dessert I'm likely to be eating this evening.

Will also be out walking tomorrow, before starting my exercise programme properly on Monday morning which I'm quite looking forward to. Want to be striding up the hills again with oomph like I was 6 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Apart from the obvious differences in food, colours also count. So, for instance, a certain body type would benefit healthwise from red/orangy coloured foods.

This is because it's not good to have too much fat around the heart area.

So the English Pear Shape is the healthiest.
    That has been known for quite a while and apple shape is the most likely shape to have heart problems because of the area where the fat settles.

So I will tell myself this the next time I catch sight of myself in mirror and think I must do something about those thighs, well at least I’m healthy

Ok, after signing up for this club last week I have failed miserably, just too many christmas chocs still hanging around and not enough will power to stop me eating them! I took the last of the christmas chocs and snack foods to my friends house last night so now all the temptations have gone at last!

Got on the scales this morning and weighed in at a shocking 9 stone 11, which at 5 foot 2 (and that's probably being generous) puts me just in the overweight section according to BMI!

The least I have weighed as an adult is 8 stone 11, so ultimately I would like to loose a stone and ideally by 12 April - the day of my best friends wedding. However I know I have to be realistic and so am going to set myself some short term goals along the way so I don't get demoralised!

Weight loss is usually highest in the first week, due to loss of water so I am aiming for a minimum of 3lb.

My plan for the weekdays is to swim for 30min each morning and go to the gym at least 3 evenings. On the evenings that I don't go to the gym I will go on my mini rebounder at home. Weekends tend to be a little more active for me, but if I'm not going for a bike ride, game of footy, walk etc with friends or family I intend to hit the gym for a longer session.

Food wise I will be cuttting out all processed foods and eating as much natural stuff as possible. I will drink lots of vegetable and fruit juices/smoothies and no carbs after 6pm. I used to follow this kind of diet all the time but have got into bad habits in the last few months, hence the weight gain.

I suggest checking out www.thejuicemaster.com . It's a guy called Jason Vale and his stuff is really motivational I met him right back at the beginning of my degree (6years ago) and we have kept in touch since. Even, if you don't follow his advice on what to eat his motivational stuff really helps adjust they way your mind thinks about food.

Has anyone here tried cheating using Pink Patches?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    Has anyone here tried cheating using Pink Patches?
    Never heard of them What are they and have you tried them?
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Pink Patches
    Read of them via Facebook.
    Work in a similar way to nicotine patches I think. Contain a mixture of caffeine and other metabolism-stimulating stuff, mostly herbs I think. You change them every 24 hours.
    I ordered a weeks free trial. Tried one for an hour. Felt extremely light-headed and nauseous. Ditched them.
    I suppose their effect on your system will depend on the level of stimulants you are used to. I avoid sugar and caffeine as a rule. Rarely drink alcohol either....just too much for me I think. I was hoping that someone might have had a more positive experience.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Never heard of them What are they and have you tried them?
    They're a dodgy marketing gimmick - trying to pretend they're the dieters equivalent of nicotine patches, baiscally.

More infor here:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/he...00/7452145.stm

Ignore them, they're useless.

We all know what we need to do - eat more healthily, exercise better. That's it.

There's no clever cheat to avoid this equation, the best you can do is find out the ways to do it that work for you.

Oh my goodness 8000 calories for a burger meal and coating the buns in lard - yuk!

Quote Originally Posted by Moondancer View Post
    I Like my food but that looks leathal not even as a dare would i try that. Right back to the fresh fruit salad i have just made.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    So I will tell myself this the next time I catch sight of myself in mirror and think I must do something about those thighs, well at least I’m healthy
    me too

Went out this afternoon to Argos and bought a rebounder (mini trampoline).

Currently bouncing like an idiot whilst watching Celebrity Big Brother.

Note to self: must incorporate pelvic floor exercises into my keep fit machine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in Notts View Post
    Went out this afternoon to Argos and bought a rebounder (mini trampoline).

Currently bouncing like an idiot whilst watching Celebrity Big Brother.

Note to self: must incorporate pelvic floor exercises into my keep fit machine
    Try doing it naked infront of a mirror. Normally encourages one to bounce for at least an hour longer..... burn the calories quicker LOL

Anyway... HIT FIRST WEEK..... AM STILL A NON SMOKER AND SO IS SCARFACE.

Did gym three times last week including yesterday... put a 1ib on. Confused, very confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Anyway... HIT FIRST WEEK..... AM STILL A NON SMOKER AND SO IS SCARFACE.
    That wicked, well done to both of you!

Did gym three times last week including yesterday... put a 1ib on. Confused, very confused.
    I already posted this on your status on facebook but here it is again!

A slight weight gain is common after giving up smoking. Nicotine in cigarettes is thought to increase your metabolism and reduce you appetite and as a result once you remove it from your system your metabolism slows and your appetite may increase, one or both could cause some weight gain.

However cause you are increasing you excercise and eating healthy I doubt you will put on anymore, plus the increase excercise will help raise your metabolism again!

Blog Entries

put a 1ib on. Confused, very confused.
    DO NOT WEIGH YOURSELVES!!!!!

Please, if you don't take any other advice, just take this one. The scales are a complete waste of time. Most people can fluctuate 2-4lbs in one day.
    Salty things make you retain water, so you weigh more. Alcohol dehydrates you, so after a boozy weekend, you appear to loose weight etc..

The best thing is to do, is use a tape measure!

And if you 'have' to weigh yourself, then only do it once a month, first thing in the morning, after you've been to the loo!

This way, your less likely to give up due to the feeling of despondency!

Whatever happens, you know healthy eating, exercise and not smoking is good for you!

Please, if you don't take any other advice, just take this one. The scales are a complete waste of time. Most people can fluctuate 2-4lbs in one day.
    Salty things make you retain water, so you weigh more. Alcohol dehydrates you, so after a boozy weekend, you appear to loose weight etc..

The best thing is to do, is use a tape measure!

And if you 'have' to weigh yourself, then only do it once a month, first thing in the morning, after you've been to the loo!

This way, your less likely to give up due to the feeling of despondency!

Whatever happens, you know healthy eating, exercise and not smoking is good for you!

Plus muscle weighs more than fat, so if you are on an excercise regime and planning to tone up and develop muscle this will disguise your weight loss. Much better as Lory says to measure yourself as this will give a more realistic picture.

The measurements I take are thighs, hips, waist, chest and bust and I usually check these once a week on a saturday morning. Whilst it is most common for us to start a diet on Monday due to the whole psychological thing I find the weekend the hardest time to avoid all the naughty foods so I find measuring/weighing myself on a Saturday helps me stay motivated over the weekend.

Having said that it reassures some people to weigh themselves and often if you are part of a club e.g. Weight Watchers their will be a weekly weigh in. There is nothing wrong with this but just remember that a fluctuation of 2-4lbs from day to day is normal. So if you are going to be weighing yourself take some measurements to so that on those days when it appears you have put on weight the measurements will prove that it's just water retention!

Blog Entries

oh yes, not going to give up giving up smoking. Done that far too many times before....

~i think your right about the weighing yourself, it can be off putting.. will try and stop it and only do it once a fortnight,... once a month is just too much waiting for me. !! ( i know im a wally)

Blog Entries

Ok, this is this weeks idea....

In the photo, are a pair of trousers that I was comfortable in, approx 2 months ago, now look!!

My aim is for them to be comfortable again, in time for Eclipse, which is 5 weeks away! I promise to upload another pic, when they do up!

This 'IS' achievable!

So folks, now its your turn... dig out those jeans that won't quite do up, your nice dress, which zip fails to glide or a shirt who's buttons don't talk to each other anymore and get snapping!

I reckon this will be a good 'self motivator' if you decide to be game!

So come on, we're in it together, remember!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information