Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign up HERE for 2009's diet and fitness club!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Sign up HERE for 2009's diet and fitness club!

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in Notts View Post
    Thanks for that Jan, it worked brilliantly and I've just watched it.

OMG!

That is simply the best thing i've ever seen for making me 'stop and think', before making a stupid food choice again!

I highly recommend everyone who's 'in the club' to watch it!!!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    I find standing naked in front of a full size mirror and jumping up and down gives me all the willpower i need. I then bend over and try to touch my toes without fat man fold over appearing. Impossible currently. I joined the gym at the last bouncy moment in front of the mirror.

It was more fun watching Danny do it though. From the back, it looked like Nelly the Elephant on crack when he bent over. (think about it... think about it) xxxx

Now, even if that didn't immediately make me run to my mirror, strip off and start jumping up and down, at least it got me laughing!!

At least I've now got someone who's coming with me to my old gym on Saturday to back me up so I can cancel my membership - and on Monday I'll go and join the swimming pool at the university!

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post

OMG!
    me too - I was shocked at how much she put on in such a short space of time, scary stuff

OMG!!!! Juat watched the Claire Sweeney programme!!! The difference really was incredible and not in a good way

My big problem is lunchtime - I am not organised enough to make my lunch as I usually go to work within 45 minutes of getting up and I don't have much imagination.

I'm trying to keep away from the sandwich shop sandwiches so I need good ideas for lunch that doesn't take lots of planning! I work above a supermarket so could get things but cooking may present a problem as we only have a microwave. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by zimbabwean View Post
    am really struggling with the reduced bread/pasta in take, and of coarse the lack of Booze. but am feeling better and the clothes dont feel so "shrunk" anymore so will stick with it.
    Cutting out carbs has always worked for me babes, it is hard going but you could introduce one day when you have your favourite carb just to take the edge of your craving. For me its all the stuff I like to put on bread etc and then the amount I eat at one go...not good for me. Booze are empty calories but you could have [it you like it I know I don't ] a white wine with soda water, or a single measure of vodka/bicardi and a slimline mixer. Good luck gorgeous

Keep up with it D..... its worth it.

Soda bread is a good alternative if ya craving bread with something and also, mini pitta breads are fantastic especially toasted with a nice low fat filling.
    I have eaten soda bread from the day I was weaned and never knew it was a good alternative, but please don't tempt me I love it and I have been known to make lovely soda bread. For some it is definitely an aquired taste and believe me I aquired it thanks to my Irish granny's oatmeal/ raison/ treacle and fruit bread that I could die for.

OMG!

That is simply the best thing i've ever seen for making me 'stop and think', before making a stupid food choice again!

I highly recommend everyone who's 'in the club' to watch it!!!
    Thanks for this it is so easy, as I know to my costs to do really well and then think that's it you are home dry. Not true, from my experience it is so easy to think well I've lost it now so another little biscuit won't do any harm.....so not true.......a healthy eating and regular exercise plan is the only way to keep the rolls at bay. On a positive note it is good to know that things can be reversed if you set your mind to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    OMG!!!! Juat watched the Claire Sweeney programme!!! The difference really was incredible and not in a good way

My big problem is lunchtime - I am not organised enough to make my lunch as I usually go to work within 45 minutes of getting up and I don't have much imagination.

I'm trying to keep away from the sandwich shop sandwiches so I need good ideas for lunch that doesn't take lots of planning! I work above a supermarket so could get things but cooking may present a problem as we only have a microwave. Any ideas?
    I don't know if this will help, but in the bottom draw of my desk is a stash of stuff I can eat and drink if I can't make up that healthy alternative to the chippy or sandwhich shop at lunchtime. I have cereals like sachets of porridge that you can make in the microwave, weetabix, lots of different kind of teas, fruit/mint etc,rice cakes, a few tins of fruit or some tins of makrel in tom sauce etc...you choose the things you like so you have an alternative. Another thing is bring in some fresh fruit at the beginning of the week, and keep it in a bowl on your desk, or bring in some tins of fruit to the office, you can dip into that when you like, what about some tins of soup and that might satisfy your savoury fix perhaps. In a way I suppose its a bit of a mini larder, but it might stop you from going to the buttie shop at lunchtime. If you have a fridge you could always bring in some salad stuff or eggs, you can make up eggs in the microwave and they are carb free. I suppose it's a bit like doing a shop for the office as well as home. One problem I have my colleagues love my desk
    Hope that helps Icey!

I agree with DB about dancing and exercise but when I am out dancing I don't have my head stuck in the fridge or the cupboard so I do eat less.

Good luck gang
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Blog Entries

mmm well the gym instructor advised us of the following;

you should not eat three meals a day and get out of the habit of breakfast lunch and dinner.

He said you should eat approx every 2 to 3 hours smaller and healthy filling meals and try to get the protein down ya early in the day.

example was

He suggested bowl of porridge when get up or within hour of getting up then two hours later get two eggs down ya with a slice of wholemeal bread, then two hours later, jacket potatoe or fish/chicken with salad, then two hours later some fruit, yoghurt, then two hours later, some chicken/fish with salad and so on.

Now this is great if ya not working. Its the same diet i follow anyway,, eating less and more often but i need to baton down the hatches more firmly on this and eat less more often but much healthier.

So here is the question gang,..... How do you eat every two hours or so when your out and about or at a sub office that does not have microwave or any facilities for cooking or keeping things cool?

??? T xx

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post

Any ideas?
    Well, I could be harsh and shout, GET UP 10mins EARLIER THEN! But I won't

Why don't you make up something before you go to bed? Chop up a salad and put it into a airtight container, with no dressing and keep it in the fridge. Take some ham or a tin of tuna separately and keep some dressing at work and just add it when your ready.
    Add a yogurt and a couple of pieces of fruit and hey presto, sorted. Buy a cheap pack of plastic throwaway cutlery, to keep at work too!
    Another idea is, if your making something like, grilled salmon or chicken or even a vegetable pasta for your evening meal, make a little extra and store it in the fridge ready for the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    Cutting out carbs has always worked for me babes,
    its what works for me too.

Thanks for this it is so easy, as I know to my costs, to do really well and then think that's it you are home dry. Not true, from my experience it is so easy to think well I've lost it now so another little biscuit won't do any harm.....so not true.......
    I agree, I've been there too many times but I'm determined not to make the same mistake again!

mmm well the gym instructor advised us of the following;

He said you should eat approx every 2 to 3 hours smaller and healthy filling meals and try to get the protein down ya early in the day.
    Are you sure he said protein??

example was

He suggested bowl of porridge when get up or within hour of getting up then two hours later get two eggs down ya with a slice of wholemeal bread, then two hours later, jacket potatoe or fish/chicken with salad, then two hours later some fruit, yoghurt, then two hours later, some chicken/fish with salad and so on.
    That's quite heavy on the Carbs IMO

I've been advised the same as you about the eating 'little and often' but was told to have my carbs in the morning and stick to only protein (no carb), after 2pm.
    I now have my main meal at lunch time and only a light snack in the evening.
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Ooo, you beat me to it!

I reckon 5 mins earlier would do it. Five mins is all it takes me to throw my butty and salad together in the mornings (and that includes time off evey 30s to stir my porridge pan)

Daisy

(A Healthy Little FLower)

Blog Entries

Why don't you make up something before you go to bed? Chop up a salad and put it into a airtight container, with no dressing and keep it in the fridge. Take some ham or a tin of tuna separately and keep some dressing at work and just add it when your ready.
    Add a yogurt and a couple of pieces of fruit and hey presto, sorted. Buy a cheap pack of plastic throwaway cutlery, to keep at work too!
    Another idea is, if your making something like, grilled salmon or chicken or even a vegetable pasta for your evening meal, make a little extra and store it in the fridge ready for the morning!

its what works for me too.

I agree, I've been there too many times but I'm determined not to make the same mistake again!

Are you sure he said protein??

That's quite heavy on the Carbs IMO

I've been advised the same as you about the eating 'little and often' but was told to have my carbs in the morning and stick to only protein (no carb), after 2pm.
    I now have my main meal at lunch time and only a light snack in the evening.
    yes i think your right, thats what i meant... carbs.. LOL - see i was paying attention (NOT).

There should be no MAIN MEAL as such though, thats what he was basically saying. All meals should be small and healthy. He said it would seem like your eating all the time but you will never feel hungry and never feel over full or bloated if you follow this regime.

OMG!! If I ate that every day, I'd be about twice the size I am now!!

I eat porridge, healthy cereal with low-fat milk or wholemeal bread for breakfast. Lunch is normally wholemeal bread with no mayo and very little low-fat spread, with ham or cheese and salad, perhaps a piece of fruit and a low fat yogurt. Dinner is normally pretty healthy and with lots of veg, often it's only vegetables! I could do with cutting back on carbs, and I need to stop eating that yummy Norwegian chocolate my mum bought for me.....

I have 3-4 meals per day, and currently need to replace my bad high carb snacks with fruit or just big glasses of water. In fact, if I just started drinking sufficient amounts of water every day, I'd probably eat/snack far les. It's actually proven that when most people feel the need of a snack, they're not actually hungry but thirsty! So a glass of water (or fruit juice) would have been just as good!

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Maybe we should have an online weigh-in, say, every Monday or whatever? I'm game.
    According to my wi fit Im 17st 6lbs and a BMI of 32.34

Before I went on hols I was 17st 3lbs and a BMI 31.73

Both BMI are obese

First day on 'diet'

In the old days I eat chicken pasta and exercised my now I here carbs are no good

My goal for next month is for Bicester village to allow me to shop their and not post a ' sod of you fat bastard we dont do 40 waists'.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Maybe we should have an online weigh-in, say, every Monday or whatever? I'm game.
    I don't have any scales as i find them misleading - except for kitchen scales, but I won't fit in them.
    He said you should eat approx every 2 to 3 hours smaller and healthy filling meals
    I've been advised the same as you about the eating 'little and often'
    But when does the stomach get a rest?
    I remember as a child being told to "Give your stomach a rest"
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    It's actually proven that when most people feel the need of a snack, they're not actually hungry but thirsty! So a glass of water (or fruit juice) would have been just as good!
    It's true that, by the time you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated.

Perhaps we could try having a drink of water on the hour, every hour?

Hi all,
    I thought I'd add my thoughts on this.

I feel that one of the most important aspects of a healthy diet be it in an attempt to lose weight or not, is to aim to stabilise blood sugar levels, thus reducing the risk of hunger pangs and the risk of reaching for something potentially high in unrefined carbs, and causing dramatic swings in blood sugar levels.

I think a diet very low in carbs is very difficult (if not impossible) to maintain, and although can often result in quite dramatic weight loss initially, can contribute to yo yo dieting. Personally, I feel a healthy eating plan on a low Glycaemic Index basis can be most achievable and sustainable in the long term.

It does mean that carbohydrate portions still have to be controlled, but carbs can be included at all meals. It is the type of carb that is important so Basmati rice instead of white or brown rice, boiled new potatoes instead of jackets, sourdough or linseed and soya bread instead of white, etc, etc. Oats, dried fruits and pulses can also be important in this kind of eating plan. A small amount of dark minimum of 72% cocoa solid choc can be eaten too. Total fat and saturated fat intake still need to be controlled as well.

Back to the treadmill.......
    Last edited by Dottie; 9th-January-2009 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
    reaching for something potentially high in unrefined carbs
    Oops - meant to say refined carbs.

By the way, just watched the Claire Sweeney programmes.
    Incredible to see what can happen in such a short space of time.

Blog Entries

aim to stabilise blood sugar levels, thus reducing the risk of hunger pangs and the risk of reaching for something potentially high in unrefined carbs,
    I know what you mean... I'm struggling at the moment, cos although I'm eating all the right stuff and plenty of it (salads etc) to the point where I'm actually feeling full, I still fancy something else.

I'm fighting the cravings with determination and willpower at the moment but I'd like to find something to actually get rid of them!

By the way, just watched the Claire Sweeney programmes.
    Incredible to see what can happen in such a short space of time.
    Here's another couple of programmes which might be of interest to us 'in the club'

Half Ton Son... This will probably demonstrate what would have happened to Claire if she'd have been eating like that for a few years! http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/listings/chan...9-01-12/22-00/

Extreme Slimmers http://www.tvthrong.co.uk/documentary/extreme-slimmers

I know what you mean... I'm struggling at the moment, cos although I'm eating all the right stuff and plenty of it (salads etc) to the point where I'm actually feeling full, I still fancy something else.

The problem with salads is that unless they contain a small amount of slow release carbohydrate eg beans/chick peas etc, they are digested very quickly partly due to their high water content, although by adding some chicken or fish the protein often helps.

You may feel really full after eating, but then it won't be long before you are looking for something more "filling".

It may be worth adding in some pulses in the form of a bean salad, or, a slice of linseed & soya or sourdough bread ( it grows on you), or even a dollop of houmus, or ending the meal with a few dried apricots and a few almonds (+/- a small square of M&S belgian plain choc ). By including these slow release carbs you may find it gives you more energy when it comes to exercise too.

The Perfect Woman!

The problem with salads is that unless they contain a small amount of slow release carbohydrate eg beans/chick peas etc, they are digested very quickly partly due to their high water content, although by adding some chicken or fish the protein often helps.

You may feel really full after eating, but then it won't be long before you are looking for something more "filling".

It may be worth adding in some pulses in the form of a bean salad, or, a slice of linseed & soya or sourdough bread ( it grows on you), or even a dollop of houmus, or ending the meal with a few dried apricots and a few almonds (+/- a small square of M&S belgian plain choc ). By including these slow release carbs you may find it gives you more energy when it comes to exercise too.
    Don't understand why sourdough bread is low GI (and not formed with refined flour).. Surely it depends on the baker and what he chooses to make it with. Whilst unrefined flours give the best 'start' to sourdoughs, it can be made with ordinary white flour with the natural yeasts from other sources.

All the other advice absolutely spot on. Sustainability is the key. And Low GI diets give the best hope of that... I am told (and have read) that ice cream is low GI so whilst it blows the fat load it at least its a treat you can have occasionally without messing with your sugar levels...

Did quite a lot of fast dancing last night (worked up a sweat) even danced to music I would normally hide from. I’m going to make an effort and have myself surgically removed from the blues room at Berko on Sunday for a few tracks

Help!
    My kids bought me a Wii for my birthday last October and I have been trying to get the Wii fit ever since but to no avail. Does anyone know of anywhere that has stock of Wii fit in the London area?

I'm in.

Improve fitness and muscle tone is my main goal. To fit into more of my clothes comfortably!, improve confidence and hopefully improve posture and dancing (am going to learn tango).

Daily yoga stretches (as I work in an office) and dance are good for me in many ways and so my ideas are to add some more variety into the mix that I can fit into my routine/week.

Have started doing a fitness DVD which is a mixture of interval training and working on specific muscle groups. The dvd offers 2 x 40 min workouts plus extras you can add on. Have done 3 workouts this week and really enjoyed them and can feel them!

Also using a rebounder (mini trampoline) and bouncing! as this is fun (My friend uses her 30 minutes a day and it has worked wonders!)

Quote Originally Posted by foxylady View Post
    Don't understand why sourdough bread is low GI (and not formed with refined flour).. Surely it depends on the baker and what he chooses to make it with. Whilst unrefined flours give the best 'start' to sourdoughs, it can be made with ordinary white flour with the natural yeasts from other sources.

Acid reduces the GI score of carbs which is why sourdough is lower than normal bread. The starch grains are also more tightly packed maker it more difficult to digest. Hope that helps explain the sourdough thing.

Thread Information