Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign up HERE for 2009's diet and fitness club!

Re: Sign up HERE for 2009's diet and fitness club!

Quote Originally Posted by foxylady View Post
    Can I sign up despite being halfway round the world ?

I need help !
    Welcome aboard foxylady. You are in a very interesting part of the world, I was there in February last year and looked for dancing, couldn't find any, but ginslings there were lots of and I loved the night zoo. I found though that the Island is so densely populated, what with probably the same population as NZ, it took rather a long time on a Saturday to meander across the road and walk through the shopping malls. Wishing you luck with your fitness regime.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

The Perfect Woman!

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    ...... walk through the shopping malls.
    Would you believe it, but a friend of mine (who is a marathon runner, so not unfit) was advised by her doctor here in Singapore to go for fitness walks IN the shopping malls, rather than 'outside' as it was cleaner and air conditioned (and no risk of UV damage - ie tanning - which they all avoid like the plague here) ... There are actually Mall walking clubs one can join ! madness...

Right then, aqua-fit tongiht at 7.30pm. I will let you know how it goes and how much I want to fit it into my weekly routine

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think one thing to bear in mind is that, past a certain point, dancing doesn't work.

Sure, it's exercise, and it's much better than nothing, but it's not a substitute for proper sturctured exercise / diet - and I think we're often too tempted to think "Ah, I dance, that'll be enough".

So I think dancing should be complementary to our fitness plans, not a replacement for them.

Blog Entries

I just ate an entire packet of Jaffa Cakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Oooh YUM! As biscuits go aren't they the better ones though? They're much lower in fat than others or am I making that up?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Oooh YUM! As biscuits go aren't they the better ones though? They're much lower in fat than others or am I making that up?
    Sounds good to me, I've got several more packets where that came from!
    and it'll be all your fault if I get fat now

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can I sign up despite being halfway round the world ?
    You need to ask???? Tut tut

I haven't found any cute men to flirt with...

I need help !
    This is BAD! A Foxylady, with no one to flirt with You DO need to do something about this and FAST!

There are actually Mall walking clubs one can join ! madness...
    Mad but then again if there's not much choice, then what have you got to lose and you never know who you might meet and what other doors it might open!

Quote Originally Posted by zimbabwean View Post
    ps have been off the Wine and Beer for 4 days so far and still feeling positive, and motivated.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Right then, aqua-fit tongiht at 7.30pm. I will let you know how it goes
    Great and I look forward to seeing you at WCS next week

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

I've just been to 2 'new' classes at my gym and I'm ever so slightly disappointed ... the first instructor was great, full of enthusiasm and taught, IMO a really good class.
    The choreography was slightly challenging but doable but I could tell that the other members weren't impressed, as they couldn't 'get it' straight away and then a 'negative vibe' started to descend upon the class and by the end it fell very flat.

The second class was conditioning and basically, it consisted of a lot of very boring and repetitive squats and such like, which I know will work but for some reason, some teachers seem to be able to make it fun and others don't, and this one didn't!
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    I think one thing to bear in mind is that, past a certain point, dancing doesn't work.

Sure, it's exercise, and it's much better than nothing, but it's not a substitute for proper sturctured exercise / diet - and I think we're often too tempted to think "Ah, I dance, that'll be enough".

So I think dancing should be complementary to our fitness plans, not a replacement for them.
    I religiously work out at the gym so that I can dance all night with no effort. Still some way to go to get abs like Flavia though.

Daisy

(A Smugly Fit Little FLower)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Chain View Post
    I religiously work out at the gym so that I can dance all night with no effort.
    I hadn't actually thought of it like that but yes, it was just a great added bonus, that now I can dance the fastest dances, sometimes 3 or 4 in a row, without being in the slightest bit puffed, whereas before, I'd nearly die!

Still some way to go to get abs like Flavia though.

Would you believe it, but a friend of mine (who is a marathon runner, so not unfit) was advised by her doctor here in Singapore to go for fitness walks IN the shopping malls, rather than 'outside' as it was cleaner and air conditioned (and no risk of UV damage - ie tanning - which they all avoid like the plague here) ... There are actually Mall walking clubs one can join ! madness...
    The mall floors may be hard, so wear good trainers, Foxy lady, to protect your knees.

I always try to walk through my local park every day on grass.

Today was the coldest it's ever been and it snowed last night in Hackney.

- no chance of any UV damage.

Blog Entries

ok serious mode now.

Am joining a gym tonight,something i thought i would never do. Scarface is also joining as i put 4ib on over xmas and Scarface is ahem.... a little heavier. We are also on 2nd day of non smoking ( i know i know, heard it all before) but determination is the order of the day.

My target to get remaining three stone off, Scarface target to get 2 stone off and to NEVER PUT CIGERETTE IN MOUTH AGAIN.

Dancing is taking a big back seat for the minute.... dont have time to do gym and dancing. Will be teaching Scarfact at home as have ordered four new DVD;s to work on.

So....... doing the induction tonight and having a plan put together for us for maxiumum calorie burning and workout.

Sis also has £50 bet on with Danny and me this time that if we fail we will have to cough up but i have dumped all ashtrays, washed everything in the flat, cleaning carpets this saturday and have worked out we are spending between us nearly £600 a month on fags...

That says it all really dont it.

Tips needed guys and gals.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    we are spending between us nearly £600 a month on fags
    Good God.

So if you give up the fags, you could spend the money on two good gym memberships (£200 or less), and still have enough left over for a weekend break away each month...

Oooh, I know someone who runs a weight-watchers thing near you...

OK, my Tip Of The Day is, don't exercise in the evenings. Exercise early on (ideally in the morning), as you'll get more benefit from that, both physically and mentally.

Blog Entries

Am joining a gym tonight,something i thought i would never do.

~snip~

Have a go at the classes Michele, I really recommend them and think you'll enjoy them too.

'BodyPump' would be good for Danny as well as you, at my gym its even numbers of men and women who attend that class and the good thing is, everyone works to their own level (with different sized weights) and the instructors, will make sure that your technique is good, so you don't injure yourselves.
    Pick the smallest weights, or even use the bar with no weight for the first couple of lessons, till you get your technique perfected and believe me, you'll feel it the next day, even with no weight!

Good luck hun!

I'm going to another new class at 10-30 this morning, fingers crossed that its at a good level for me and I like it.
    I don't ache at all from yesterday's lessons and in a way, I feel better when I do, as I feel I've actually done something positive

Commercial Operator

NEVER PUT CIGERETTE IN MOUTH AGAIN.

-snip-

Get Help!

I recently had training on smoking cessation and have seen the statistics. Quitting without professional help has a one in twenty chance of success - and that's when success is measured as going 12 weeks without a puff. The quit rate is even lower at one year.

Contact your local NHS stop smoking service and take all the advice and drugs that they offer - your chances of quitting are then around one in two. The NHS is spending a fortune on helping people quit - why not get them to spend some of that money on you? You could go through your own GP but you can approach the stop smoking service directly - in some areas you can even get an advisor to come to your place of work if you can get a group of you to quit together.

Nicotine is seriously addictive and it's very hard to quit. No matter how strong your will power you will benefit from some outside help - your body's reaction to quitting is not just in the mind, it's as real as a nasty rash or any other medical condition. No matter how "strong" you are you shouldn't suffer when there's help available.

You've made a great start by creating your own support group. Keep it up and good luck

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I'm going to another new class at 10-30 this morning, fingers crossed that its at a good level for me and I like it.
    I don't ache at all from yesterday's lessons and in a way, I feel better when I do, as I feel I've actually done something positive
    Well, I'm over the moon, the class or classes, as it turned out, were absolutely brilliant!

The first was a billed simply as 'dance aerobics' but it had a definite Latino flavour and was very high impact, on par with body attack IMO, so I had a fab workout.

Then straight after, I was collared by the next teacher, who asked if I'd stay to try out her new 'Core' class.

This was a 'conditioning class' concentrating on core strength. The whole class was done on 'The Ball' (a great big bouncy ball)

We started with a warm up (not that I needed it after the last one) then on to balance exercises, which believe it or not, really work the muscles and then we did a ton of sit-ups, all different and I could really feel them (watch out Flavia! ) and we ended with some really good stretches.

I highly recommend using a ball to stretch on, it feels wonderful!

I'm in no doubt that I'm going to feel it tomorrow! Well, I did ask for it I suppose
    Last edited by Lory; 6th-January-2009 at 02:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Update.... LOL

3rd day both smoke free.

Did gym induction last night. They have put a little plan together so that each time we go for the first few weeks we are burning calories and getting fitter. After this time we can start concentrating on other areas. Did a vibrating thing while we were there, never seen anything like it. Its a disc and you stand on it and flex ya legs or ya arms and its supposed to do all the work for ya. Made it feel like my teeth were falling out my head but will definately try sitting on it for a minute on thursday

So thursday night is our first training night. Looking forward to it and feeling better already without the weed in my body. Smell is coming back and have stopped clearing my throat every five mins.

One thing i did notice is smokers keep telling me... oh your doing too much in one go... ONLY SMOKERS... all non smokers think its great and encourage it. Its like the smokers want to keep you with em. Very weird.

Blog Entries

Oh yeah and just to confirm when Danny is on the treadmill

it looks like Linford Christie on crack .

I didn't realise the gym could give such comedy moments as well.

For this week I've concentrated on keeping my food diary, ensuring I'm eating lots more veg (I already eat lots of fruit and drink lots of water) and have mostly avoided bad snacking. And my portions are more reasonable too which is my downfall.

Tonight is my first food test though - eating out for OH's birthday. I'm definitely a dessert person, so will watch out for my choices in the main/starter, and be exercising tomorrow to offset the extra calories.

Also have a spare weekend this one, so am going to get out and do lots of walking as well as getting out my exercise dvd - bit of tae bo is always good for an energy boost and even only 30 minutes every other day really helps tone.

Thread Information