Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive calendar of weekenders for 2009

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Comprehensive calendar of weekenders for 2009

Has anyone got a comprehensive list of all the 'weekenders' and significant 'dance events' for 2009?

If not, can we use this thread to make one please

I'd like to fill in my calendar
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Re: Comprehensive calendar of weekenders for 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Has anyone got a comprehensive list of all the 'weekenders' and significant 'dance events' for 2009?

If not, can we use this thread to make one please

I'd like to fill in my calendar
    Lory not neccessarily a comprehnsive list but a good start.

Rock Bottoms Modern Jive and Lindy +other stuff 09/01/2009
    Dance & Ski, only £465. Over 70 Booked call now!!! 31/01/2009
    Jive Addiction - ECLIPSE 13/02/2009
    GNSH - Goodnight Sweetheart 2009 13/02/2009
    Swish - Ceroc 20-22 Feb
    STORM Camber - Ceroc 6-8 mar
    Dance & Ski - Early bird £495 - Register now!!! 08/03/2009
    BLUSH Southport - Ceroc 13-15 Mar
    Rock Bottoms - West Coast Swing and Jive 20/03/2009
    Dance Weekender 90% Full! 03/04/2009
    JiveTime Riot Jive Weekend 17/04/2009
    UK-WCS Dance Championships - Jive Addiction 17/04/2009
    Modern Jive In Weymouth Weekend 17/04/2009
    Dance holiday in Malta with Jive Addiction 03/05/2009
    Rock Bottoms - Argentinian Tango - Jango and Jive 08/05/2009
    VIVA LAS VEGAS Camber - Ceroc 15-17 May
    SCORCH Southport - Ceroc 29-31 May
    Jive Addiction - ECLIPSE 19/06/2009
    Lux - Utopia Week-ender 26-28 Jun
    Modern Jive & Mediterranean Cruise Holiday 02/07/2009
    CHILL Prestatyn - Ceroc 3-5 Jul
    Gran Canaria Dance Holiday - Jive Addiction 27/07/2009
    Jive Addiction - ECLIPSE 11/09/2009
    MEDFEST Lloret - Ceroc 20-27 Sep
    BREEZE Brean - Ceroc 9-11 Oct
    SPLASH Southport - Ceroc 16-18 Oct
    Jive Addiction - Scarborough 06/11/2009
    BLISS Camber - Ceroc 13-15 Nov

Commercial Operator

Er.......for weekenders + comps how about this site for a start??

http://www.modernjive.com/HolidayListing.htm

It seems to have the lots - nicely organised - with descriptions............

I think this is the single most comprehensive list.......except it doesn't have Utopic events.......
    Last edited by JiveLad; 3rd-January-2009 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Do you also want to include the WCS events ? UK only or also France?

There'll be several weekends with various US pros in Paris (just as far as Southport if you think about it!), I can look into it to find dates if needed, although it will probably be the next 6 months rather than year.

There's Sea Sun and Swing in La Grande Motte (south of france), aug 1st to 7th.

There are Lee's line/swing events too, probably 4 of them: end of feb (Brean), may (loc tba), August (blackpool), Oct (camberley).

I know Mike is having Mario to come back again, in march I think.

Cat was talking about running her own event too, may seemed to be an option.

US events on www.swingdancecouncil.com. (/registered events).

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    I don't think it's appropriate to include WCS-only events - any more than it is to include Tango, salsa or for that matter line dance-only events. I mean, where do you stop?

Similarly, we should probably limit it to UK-only events - although I can see a case for including Aus / NZ events, that should be a separate thread if required I think.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    I don't think it's appropriate to include WCS-only events - any more than it is to include Tango, salsa or for that matter line dance-only events. I mean, where do you stop?
    fair enough, just noticed that one of the 'MJ" events listed is the WCS championships...

Blog Entries

fair enough, just noticed that one of the 'MJ" events listed is the WCS championships...
    Yeah, that probably shouldn't be there, then.

Similarly, we should probably limit it to UK-only events - although I can see a case for including Aus / NZ events, that should be a separate thread if required I think.
    I think most people will be looking for mainly MJ events in the UK.

Rock bottoms have always had a swing content, but it also has enough MJ to be included.

For those wanting to travel to Aussie or NZ, best to start a new thread or PM one of the forum "travellers".

Commercial Operator

Can we include global tiddlywinks weekenders, because there is a small percentage of MJers who also like tiddlywinks, please?

We're talking about the calendars of people who have some background in modern jive.

IMO jive/tango/salsa/WCS/tiddlywinks events may be included if they meet ALL of the following criteria.

• Expect at least 'n1' (say 240 ?) dancers in total to attend simultaneously. (significant to dancers)

• Expect at least 'n2' (say 80 ?) dancers from a modern jive background. (significant given a modern jive background)
    • There are no more than 'n3' (say 3 ?) similar events per year at that location. (event of yearly significance)
    • People are expected to travel from distant parts of the UK solely for that event. (event significant enough to travel long distances for)

• It is practical to travel from the UK solely for that event. (event relevant to people from the UK)

The Jive Addiction WCS championships would qualify for a listing, wherever you set the numbers.

Some of Lee's WCS events possibly. It sounds like there are quite a few people with a modern jive background getting into Tango events, but I don't know how the numbers add up.

I suspect there aren't any French/American events yet, which would get enough dancers with a modern jive background.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Can we include global tiddlywinks weekenders, because there is a small percentage of MJers who also like tiddlywinks, please?
    Given the amount of threads that also help those who do WCS to attend WCS events on this forum, I think it is a genuine question, no need to be a prat about it cause you don't do it

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    rules to list events
    Nice idea, I think it is good to list events of other (main) dance genre when there is a significant attendance from MJ-ers.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    I suspect there aren't any French/American events yet, which would get enough dancers with a modern jive background.
    I know of 2 events which are getting close to that, depending where you set n2 (they both had 35 peeps from the UK, sea sun and swing in France this year, and swing diego last year in the US).

The thing is, this forum is useful to those who are not in the main 'scenes' (like SW london for WCS) to get to know about worthwhile events overseas and get organised. The more we talk about it (i.e. on a public forum rather than by talking at our local venue or the usual emails and facebook friends network) and help each other with info, the more likely we are to get a significant group attending those fantastic events (they have to be to justify the travel!).

And then we're called hotshots...

Nice idea, I think it is good to list events of other (main) dance genre when there is a significant attendance from MJ-ers.
    Originally Posted by Frodo
    It sounds like there are quite a few people with a modern jive background getting into Tango events
    My suggestion for what it is worth is to have a vote on using this thread for other dance genres and go by what the verdict says because using it as a platform to argue what items can be included seems to defeat the object anyway.

It seems to me that this is not a particularly long thread but quite a useful one and to use it to inform MJers into other dance genres, could be helpful to them.

When I compiled my list above I had not really considered events for other dance genres but there are a number of of weekenders and overseas Tango Festivals I would like to try and organise a group of MJers to go to, such as the Mangos and Tangks in the UK and the Miami, New York and Alps Tango Festivals and I know Ruby Red has some in mind too, such as the Nile Cruise Tango Festival. As Caro says these generally need a longer planning period and so early notification in a way that concentrates the mind may be useful.

I suppose I would have posted my ideas on The Learning Tango thread, the two Tango Facebook groups I belong to and probabally write an article for DB's Jive Tango website. So stopping your posts Caro maybe DB's cunning plan to ensure more content for his site.

I presume the reason that DB feels that NZ/Oz events are acceptable is because that is what is included on the Modernjive website but why should that websites content dictate what should be included here.

The counter argument to the above I suppose is that those dance genres should use there own threads and set up their own websites and facebook groups, etc.

Blog Entries

Given the amount of threads that also help those who do WCS to attend WCS events on this forum, I think it is a genuine question
    Sure, but that's why we have the "Land of 1,000 dances" sub-forum - it's really not appropriate to include non-MJ events in the main MJ forum, it kind of defeats the point of having that sub-forum in the first place.

Discussions of non-MJ events should be in that forum.

Simple really.

If you want to argue for a WCS-specific sub-forum, based on thread volume, that's an interesting idea, and I'd recommend you start a thread for it in the technical suggestions sub-forum

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    I presume the reason that DB feels that NZ/Oz events are acceptable is because that is what is included on the Modernjive website but why should that websites content dictate what should be included here.
    No, it's basically more that the "geography" argument is weaker than the "genre" argument.

Practically speaking, the majority of forum members are in the UK, but there are also quite a few from the NZ / Australia region.

But even so, I'd probably argue that we should discuss "UK MJ-centric" events, just to keep it simple.

Commercial Operator

Given the amount of threads that also help those who do WCS to attend WCS events on this forum, I think it is a genuine question, no need to be a prat about it cause you don't do it
    It's called humour... it obviously doesn't translate well into French. Or into WCS, I guess...

Sure, but that's why we have the "Land of 1,000 dances" sub-forum - it's really not appropriate to include non-MJ events in the main MJ forum, it kind of defeats the point of having that sub-forum in the first place.

Discussions of non-MJ events should be in that forum.

Simple really.
    If this is the policy why do WCS and Tango events then get included in the weekly polls of who is going where?

and Tango specific events such as Negracha included in the social events section?
    Last edited by ant; 5th-January-2009 at 11:49 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    If this is the policy why do WCS and Tango events then get included in the weekly polls of who is going where?
    Because... err....

Good point.

I dunno. What's the point of this thread again?

Because... err....

Good point.

I dunno. What's the point of this thread again?

I thought the idea of this thread was to inform members of dance events that required long term planning as opposed to those events that can be planned on a weekly basis on "who is going where".

I don't really see the difference.

I respect a policy but I think a policy should be consistantly applied.

Thread Information