Thread: Wetherbys Chill Dance

Wetherbys Chill Dance

Wow, Pete Stanton has got a great little number here, the engine shed is very similar to the Belvedere hall in Burton on Trent with a lovely gallery running around the dance floor, the crowd was a mixture of locals and forumites from all round the country. The dance floor was fast

The Music was out standing, sorry TSH.

The first DJ was Chris, a Club DJ from Manchester, he had never played to a MJ crowd, his first set was on the slower side, every track was a killer it was such a real pity I had nobody to WCS with. This guy was a real quick learner and his second set was more up tempo. He played a remix of Teena Marie's Portuguese Lover, all you Ceroc DJ's get out there and buy this remix by Sean Haji.

Pete Stanton then played a great set of more conventional Latin and blues tracks.

We then had the One and Only Dance Demon from Scotland, I didn’t know that this Man was such a cool mover on the dance floor, I now know why he is such a great DJ.

A big thank you to Susie, Freya, Kim and Jacqui for all my lovely WCS dances.

A big thank you to Essie and Caz, you girls are always so much fun to dance with.

Stokie, that was a very interesting double trouble WCS styley dance with Caz

All in all a great dance venue run by one of the most enthusiastic promoters you would ever want to meet, this guys is prepared to try new things out.

Please, please make an effort to go to this event and support it, I can ensure you it was worth the effort to go up north.

Over and out from a Southern softy.

Re: Wetherbys Chill Dance

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    The first DJ was Chris, a Club DJ from Manchester, he had never played to a MJ crowd, his first set was on the slower side, every track was a killer it was such a real pity I had nobody to WCS with. This guy was a real quick learner and his second set was more up tempo. He played a remix of Teena Marie's Portuguese Lover, all you Ceroc DJ's get out there and buy this remix by Sean Haji.
    Maybe it was good, but it was NOT blues music. I don't drive 300 miles to listen to 2 1/2 hours of music that i don't like. Several people commented that they were there for blues. I'd hate to see this turn into a WCS venue.

That said, the rest of the music was fab - and some great dancers there too.

Quote Originally Posted by tsh View Post
    Maybe it was good, but it was NOT blues music. I don't drive 300 miles to listen to 2 1/2 hours of music that i don't like. Several people commented that they were there for blues. I'd hate to see this turn into a WCS venue.

I must admit that I agree with your point about not wanting it to become a WCS venue BUT you can dance WCS to Blues music.

I still think it was brave of Pete to try something new on a day when the event was on from 3 to 10pm, it may not have been the right thing to do on a normal dance afternoon.

Please, please make an effort to go to this event and support it, I can ensure you it was worth the effort to go up north.
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooo STAY AWAY!! Us Yorkshire folk have been enjoying Chill Sunday's for quite some time without any invaders. Just leave us alone to enjoy the sublime sounds with friendly folk. We don't need any Southern Poufters to come up and try to corrupt it with their WCS etc. (only joking ... honest)

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooo STAY AWAY!! Us Yorkshire folk have been enjoying Chill Sunday's for quite some time without any invaders. Just leave us alone to enjoy the sublime sounds with friendly folk. We don't need any Southern Poufters to come up and try to corrupt it with their WCS etc. (only joking ... honest)
    When did you become a Yorkie, I thought you were from Manchester.

I hear a certain young Lady was very surprised at all her lovely prezzies

Cool Re: Wetherbys Chill Dance

Totally agree Gerry! It was a fantastic atmosphere. The music was beautiful, all night. The impromptu soul set was very enjoyable - and as it was only a short section of the night I didn't think it was at all intrusive.

It's the first time we've been to this venue. The place is glorious! Huge air shifting vents high up in the rafters kept the place nice and cool as the night really started jumping. The sound system worked well too.

There was a free buffet laid on - not a rubbish one either with a couple of bowls of crisps and a few sausage rolls. No, no, no!!! There was a huge urn of chili, with jacket potatoes, pizza, cheese, pickles and at least half a dozen different types of dessert

Driving back down over the Pennines afterwards was fantastic. The glittering lights stretching out for miles looked really festive - ahhhh!

My only small gripe was nearly £5 for a pint of soda water and a diet coke, I am not used to paying London prices oppp north.

When did you become a Yorkie, I thought you were from Manchester.
    MANCHESTER???? Sir, you insult me... I'm from STOKE! Actually, York has much to offer ... including a certain young lady.

Back to the subject of Chill.....

I think its interesting that Pete (aka Dr Chill), a relative newcomer, has managed to create such a successful phenomena when so many others have failed. Revolutions Jive's venture into Sunday 'Southport-Feel' has failed badly, though they are trying to relaunch. A few other Sunday night events in the N West have disappeared without a trace.

Chill Sunday's success owes much to Pete being an extremely bright, sociable chap but also down to his willingness to listen to others ... not a common trait on the MJ circuit. As Dance Demon's 'official' protege, Pete has learned from the very successful Red Hot & Blue possibly the best Blues event in the UK. The venue is purpose built, and already has a strong following for its MJ and Salsa nights.

More than that, he has taken DD's guidance but also developed his own genre of music. Sometimes he may push the envelope a bit far .... but at least he's pushing it ... and for that I and many other dancers are grateful.

So ... Yorkshire has its own Sunday Experience ... for once I think that puts us one up on the Southerners .... got anything to match it?

Have to say again.. wow... it was fab to see so many forumites up north yesterday!

this venue (as i have said from day 1...) is amazing.. i walked in the first time 3 months ago and was amazed.... the atmosphere was electric.. a definite southport moment.. on the first chilled sunday i danced 2 - 7 and only stopped to drink mid dance..i think i sat one song out! the lights, sound, everything, something undescribable clicked in me and i had to dance .. it was like that early morning feeling u get when u r in heaven at southport etc... but it was sunday afternoon... amazing....

i have been to every monthly event since...

it is the best thing ever to happen up north in my opinion and especially as it is so close to home!

i do hope some of you make the journey up again (if only to save my petrol coming down south to see u all every weekend!)

amazing again... peter and dance demon and clive (who runs it i believe?) u r all gods and i love u all so much! (as i tell u every month lol)

the music is spot on normally.. i enjoyed the funkier soul set later on but i think the earlier soul set was a bit much ...for me anyway... it was a good idea to try it on a day like yesterday - an extended chill - respect to peter and everyone for trying this... afterall i believe when this event first occurred it was an experiment.. so glad it worked!!!

the buffet was a special one this time but the effort is always there.. sandwiches and muffins and flapjack usually and it is just this, personal touch, that makes it worth it!

love it!!!!!

More than that, he has taken DD's guidance but also developed his own genre of music. Sometimes he may push the envelope a bit far .... but at least he's pushing it ... and for that I and many other dancers are grateful.

So ... Yorkshire has its own Sunday Experience ... for once I think that puts us one up on the Southerners .... got anything to match it?
    Pete, all I can say is Keep Pushing It, its the only way to learn and when your bright enough to ask opinions from people in the know and then use that experience and guidance there is only one way that you are going and that is up.

Such a pity that a certain Franchise owner who has asked the opinion of a certain young Lady that i know and has never used their experience / expertise once.

Lets hope that the enlightened will keep going to Wetherby's Sunday Chill, I for One will definetely be making the trip again but I will have to make a whole weekend out of it.

I will have to bring up the original Utopia which happens to be on my doorstep. It still brings in dancers from Manchester, Penkridge, Nottingham, even Liz from Yorks has been known to come down.

Gus, when are you going to come down for your first Utopian experience

MANCHESTER???? Sir, you insult me... I'm from STOKE!
    *Sniggers*

That's worse. Though I am from Crewe so I would say that.

Actually, York has much to offer ... including a certain young lady.
    *Agrees*

(Jammy git)

Commercial Operator

Just got home from Wetherby. I have to say that Chill Sunday goes from strength to strength. the Engine Shed is a fantastic venue, and yesterday it looked absolutely brilliant with the Christmas decorations up. It's fast becoming second home to me. The event itself was fantastic, the atmosphere electric, and the dancing superb. I met Peter (Dr Chill) just a year ago at a jive Addiction holiday in Gran Canaria, and since then we have become very good friends. It's hard to believe that he has only been DJing for a matter of months, but his enthusiasm and willingness to try new things is there for all to see and his attention to detail is second to none. It's a mark of how highly I rate him that he's the only guest DJ that's ever played the last hour at Red Hot & Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by tsh View Post

The Soul session was a late addition to the day, but Peter thought that since Chris Priestley, one of the top soul DJs in the UK would be there, it would be good to let him loose on the decks. He did say several times that this was an experiment. Personally i thought it was a real treat.

It's a good 3 - 4 hour Journey from Edinburgh to Wetherby, but I hope to be at many more Chilled Sundays, and I also hope to see Dr Chill at many more Red Hot & Blues. Meanwhile much to Peter Dr Chill Stanton for a truly fantastic event

I will have to bring up the original Utopia which happens to be on my doorstep. It still brings in dancers from Manchester, Penkridge, Nottingham, even Liz from Yorks has been known to come down.

Gus, when are you going to come down for your first Utopian experience
    My comments re a lack of good Blues events down South were somewhat tongue-in-cheek. There is no doubt that the main Utopia events have managed to establish a strong following and I look forward to seeing them first-hand. Should be a small posse venturing down South to meet with our southern friends in the not to distant future.

By the same token, some of the Yorkies will be venturing up to that other sanctuary of sweet, sweet music, Red Hot and Blue. I think we're making the March gig ... and then will find some other ways to find a dance groove on the Saturday night. Scotland has a well earned reputation for a friendly reception and Edinburgh is a beautiful city with many attractions outside MJ :-)

Hi all

I really enjoyed Wetherby. Not one bad dance all night and lots of excellent dances. I'm from Leeds but live at World's End/Inverness (no offence meant - its just a long wayfrom everywhere!). The night was a real treat despite expensive drinks!

Thanks for all the fun dances

amc

I definitely want to come to Dr Chill at Wetherby but need to plan well ahead. Does anyone know the dates for 2009?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post
    I definitely want to come to Dr Chill at Wetherby but need to plan well ahead. Does anyone know the dates for 2009?
    Hi LL Happy New Year to you,

They are usually the last Sunday in the month, the next one is Sunday 25th, then Feb 22, then March 29th etc.

There is a group on Facebook which you can join and then you will be advised of the dates.

Hope that helps.

R X
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Thread Information