Thread: Where in the world would you like to learn Modern Jive?

Where in the world would you like to learn Modern Jive?

If you were going to relocate, and looking to improve your MJ, where would you go?

If you had 1 year to become a better dancer and had the freedom to travel, where would you travel to? Thinking of MJ only (not Tango, WCS etc.)

Where are the "top" venues that would enable you to learn the most in MJ?

Re: Where in the world would you like to learn Modern Jive?

London.

SCOTLAND

If I knew nothing and was starting from scratch - definitely

I believe the standard of the new dancers (the past few years) is far higher than the average of the standard anywhere else.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    SCOTLAND

I believe the standard of the new dancers (the past few years) is far higher than the average of the standard anywhere else.
    On what evidence ?

The Scottish dancers who travel long distances to dance, or have moved south may be good.

However it may be more likely that people who travel tend to be better, and nothing to do with their origin / where they learnt.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    On what evidence ?

The Scottish dancers who travel long distances to dance, or have moved south may be good.

However it may be more likely that people who travel tend to be better, and nothing to do with their origin / where they learnt.
    At my first visit to the BFG I was very surprised and pleased that the leads appeared far more experience than their counterparts down south - and these were dancers who had not ventured down south.

AND the first Southport weekenders, the standard of the Scottish dancers really stood out.

Have to say as a foreigner I was also made to feel more welcome than my visits to other areas too

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post

Have to say as a foreigner I was also made to feel more welcome than my visits to other areas too
    aw you been going to the wrong places then Minnie

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    If you were going to relocate, and looking to improve your MJ, where would you go?
    Depends. What level are "you" at, what do "you" want to achieve, how much time will "you" have during that, and so on.

If you had 1 year to become a better dancer and had the freedom to travel, where would you travel to? Thinking of MJ only (not Tango, WCS etc.)
    If I had a full year to study dance, full-time, I wouldn't mess around learning MJ, I'd learn fundamental dance techniques - i.e. a professional year-long course in dance.

Not so much the venues as the teachers, I'd have thought.

But, again, it depends.

As much as David managed to avoid answering the question, he is pointing out the one thing that is a problem in MJ: learning fundamental techniques.

There may be a few (few being the operative word) teachers that are actually able to teach good fundamental technique but they are really few and far between. I'll leave it there.

My opinion to the given scenario is as follows, assuming we are talking regular MJ classes:

If you want to learn social dancing and everything that is part of that, learn in the UK.

If you want to learn fancy moves that will also do well in competitions, go to Australia. If you want to learn a few less but still a lot of fancy moves in a prettier country, go to NZ. :p

One thing is for sure, no matter where you go, if you aren't actually putting a lot of effort into wanting to DANCE rather than just execute moves, it won't matter where you go. At the end of the day, becoming a good dancer doesn't depend as much on your teacher as it does on your own drive for perfection and humbleness.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    One thing is for sure, no matter where you go, if you aren't actually putting a lot of effort into wanting to DANCE rather than just execute moves, it won't matter where you go. At the end of the day, becoming a good dancer doesn't depend as much on your teacher as it does on your own drive for perfection and humbleness.

I've recently come to the realisation that, for the majority, MJ is not about the dancing and that people come for many reasons. The majority of people come for social reasons and get by with the dancing. My job as a MJ teacher is to sneak in a bit of covert dance instruction during their social night out - like the instruction/medicine hidden in a spoonful of social sugar.

I'd go where best teachers are, and spend a lot of time watching them and picking their brains.

There are some very good ones that I know of in both Sydney and London, and assuming you're asking about purely MJ based teaching my gut instinct is to go with one of those two. Which one would depend on exactly what direction I wanted my dancing to head in.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas
    , although it's fair to note that the perfect attitude and a phenomenal teacher will usually carry you much further, much faster, than a perfect attitude alone.

I would like to learn MJ wherever I am. Alternatively, I would like to go to some beautiful scenic part of the world and have someone there that I could learn MJ from.

If the question was where in the country/world would I get the most from learning MJ, then I don't know - I doubt that there are more than a handful of folk who have travelled enough to answer that question - and even then it would be bias to them.

Personally I've learned just about everything I know about dance here. Would/could I learn more elsewhere? Perhaps... I don't have crystal balls.

Thread Information