Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The "sizzle" of Modern Jive

Re: The "sizzle" of Modern Jive

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Flicts View Post
    Anyone (including ladies) can turn up alone without feeling self-conscious (and be guaranteed to meet people through the lesson).

I think the welcoming nature of MJ for both couples and individuals is a strong selling point.

nobody gets drunk or nasty

It is almost always a safe environment for a night out.

For the fellas - ladies really are very impressed by men who can dance.
    I don't think you can ignore the sex angle if you're looking for the sizzle. The challenge is to sell it this way without giving the 'meat market' impression.

I think the attached picture gives a little sizzle for the fellas
    Attached Images Attached Images

The old line I was spun (and fell for ), was "MJ is the most fun you can have with your clothes on"

My spin would now be "You may enter the world of MJ alone, but once in, you will never be alone again"

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    ... All I need to do now is put it into advertising copy - any suggestions?...
    Knowing the "action" phrase is part of the art and science of writing advertising copy. The action phrase is that bit of the ad that makes the reader take a desired action. That action may not be to buy. It can be to look at an internet site, or send off for a free offer.

The youtube clips tell how important a word, or even a single letter, can be.

One example is a current Ceroc Flier. It looks like it is produced by a professional graphic artist. It does not work. It is full of selling the sizzle and offers a free DVD. My advertising guru would have said it was "too busy". One youtube clip list 8 "suicide" words. Words to be avoided. First on that list, and first on the flier, is "LEARN". Whatever the reason, it does not work, not around here at least.

One common theme is listen to your existing customers. One of my ideas would be to get the prospective customers to listen to the current members. A clip or photo of them dancing and smiling, accompanied by a quote. I would like to try viral marketing. A clip that non-dancers would recommend to other non-dancers.

e.g. an amusing clip for a film (non-dancing)

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive View Post
    The old line I was spun (and fell for ), was "MJ is the most fun you can have with your clothes on"...
    Most peoples' reaction to this might be "Oh, no it's not."

A recurrent theme of copywriting advice is "credibility".

I have started to go through 13 DVDs of Carl Galletti's copywriter protege program. I was right to be cynical about it, but he has collected copyrighting advice from wherever he can, and accredited his sources. I bought it from a charity shop, as a donation. Only the first one was ever opened. Nevertheless it is full of "been there" advice.

One salient tip is "Guarantee your promises." In MJ terms that might be "In one night we will teach you enough to dance all night, or all your money back."

I would actually try "In just three nights ..."

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    One salient tip is "Guarantee your promises." In MJ terms that might be "In one night we will teach you enough to dance all night, or all your money back."

I would actually try "In just three nights ..."
    Mmm, not much oomph in that.

How about "Enjoy discovering that you can dance", or "Enjoy dancing - from day one"?

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Mmm, not much oomph in that.

How about "Enjoy discovering that you can dance", or "Enjoy dancing - from day one"?
    The copy writing seminars I am ploughing through cover "oomph" too. Guaranteeing your promises is something else. Unfortunately we cannot guarantee that people will enjoy their first night. I have seen too many white knuckle beginners trembling with fear to doubt that an MJ night is not for everybody. We cannot guarantee that people will enjoy themselves. We cannot guarantee that people will learn We can guarantee that they will be taught enough to dance all night.

As I write I am listening to "endorsements". We can post super "oomph" endorsements that are true for the person making it. They may be the only person ever to marry a multi-millionaire that they met at MJ, but if it happened, it happened. The essential point is belief. The more certain the reader/listner is that what you are claiming is true the more likely they are to buy.

Here is the copy from a local Latin Class which is it always packed
    NEW BIGINNERS CLASS STARTING THIS JANUARY

(grabs attention, action needed Now)

followed by basic information price when and when
    lots of photos of normal people, in normal dress, clearly enjoining them selves

Great Music, great Fun. Anyone can do it. no experience required , no partner needed & no need to book .

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    ... Anyway, drops seem to be going out of fashion a bit ...
    All of the more adventurous (AKA silly, AKA sizzle) moves that most attracted me to MJ seem to have gone out of fashion. I can understand why. Many of the ladies that I know like them seem to carry injuries from other even more adventurous activities. It is a bit puerile I know, but nevertheless I still have as one of many measures of the success of an evening as "How many ladies did I have upside down tonight?" It is 6 weeks since the last time. It is about 6 months since I last pulled a lady through my legs, and over a year since my last slide. MJ may be safer and more mature, but it definitely has lost sizzle.

Ceroc DJ

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    All of the more adventurous (AKA silly, AKA sizzle) moves that most attracted me to MJ seem to have gone out of fashion. I can understand why. Many of the ladies that I know like them seem to carry injuries from other even more adventurous activities. It is a bit puerile I know, but nevertheless I still have as one of many measures of the success of an evening as "How many ladies did I have upside down tonight?" It is 6 weeks since the last time. It is about 6 months since I last pulled a lady through my legs, and over a year since my last slide. MJ may be safer and more mature, but it definitely has lost sizzle.
    Maybe you should try a new sport ?.... lets see... upside down and through the legs .... hmmmmmmm

Thread Information