Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WCS teachers London/South Coast

WCS teachers London/South Coast

I like WCS but I don't do weekenders and there's not much going on locally, so I've sort of given up. I thought I might treat myself to a couple of private lessons in the new year, but I've no idea where/with whom. I'd prefer to stay south of central London if possible.If anyone has any suggestions, ideas or recommendations I'd be really grateful. thanks.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: WCS teachers London/South Coast

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Flicts View Post
    I like WCS but I don't do weekenders and there's not much going on locally, so I've sort of given up. I thought I might treat myself to a couple of private lessons in the new year, but I've no idea where/with whom. I'd prefer to stay south of central London if possible.If anyone has any suggestions, ideas or recommendations I'd be really grateful. thanks.
    Lory's got a set of links here:
    http://www.wcs-london.com/Links.html

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Wher in Sussex are you?

Worthing/Brighton. Willing to travel for an hour in any direction (except south, unless a luxury cruise liner is involved..)

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Does Graham LeClerk still teach it at Shoreham?

Petts Wood near Bromley should be an hour or so away from you or you have Hastings once a month.

As usual speaking for myself here, and feel free to all flame me, but if I was spending money on regular WCS private lessons in this country, I wouldn't take them from anyone else than Paul Warden.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    As usual speaking for myself here, and feel free to all flame me, but if I was spending money on regular WCS private lessons in this country, I wouldn't take them from anyone else than Paul Warden.

Wont flame you but thats all well and good if A) you can afford to have private lessons and B) if Paul W was within a few hours drive.

For me to go to WCS classes, I have a drive of almost an hour and a half and even then I cant get to classes as I teach on the same night they are on .

Have looked in to doing something local but would need to get teachers in for it and having done the maths, there are not enough people who live in the area that want WCS to warrent paying someone to do the job, and personally, I would not want to become one of these WCS teachers that can't do the dance themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Wont flame you but thats all well and good if A) you can afford to have private lessons...
    But that's exactly what I was asking about (private lessons)! All she's done is answer my question!

And no, I can't afford them as a rule. It's a Christmas present from my lovely family, who don't know what else to get me!

Wont flame you but thats all well and good if A) you can afford to have private lessons and B) if Paul W was within a few hours drive.
    I understood the question was for regular private lessons within an hour of S london ?

And just to clarify, I am not saying that there is no benefit from taking private lessons with other teachers in the area, when you are relatively new to WCS. In fact I know at least one teacher in the area who would be great (Paul F but I don't know if he teaches much those days), there might be others. It's just that if you are serious about this, and wanted to invest in regular privates, I would personally go for the best, as it happens that in this case the best is a long way ahead of everybody else.

As for regular classes, different matter altogether. Never been to classes south of London, so can't comment.

Caro, your forgetting Cat and Lee Easton.

We are very lucky in London to have three top quality WCS teachers who have worked together over the last 3 years or so.

Does anyone know how much a West Coast Swing private is please?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

I understood the question was for regular private lessons within an hour of S london ?
    Right you are. Should read posts properly before posting shouldn't I

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post

We are very lucky in London to have three top quality WCS teachers who have worked together over the last 3 years or so.
    Lee E is on of my fav dancers of the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by jive-vee View Post
    Does anyone know how much a West Coast Swing private is please?
    Around £30 per hour and depending where you have the lesson their may be a hall charge

IMHO they are very helpful.

I'm pretty sure she didn't.

Lee is in North London, and Cat is a follower (although obviously she can teach as a leader), so from a follower's perspective when it comes to basics and connection, I would seek advice from a leader. Again, it doesn't mean that there is nothing to learn from a private with a female teacher, quite the opposite, but it is usually different things.

I would go for regular privates with a top male teacher, with occasional privates from female teachers. That's what works well in my experience, may be others have a different view on that.

And again, may be it is just me, but if I was passionate enough to spend a lot of money on my dancing, I'd go for the best I can get. It doesn't mean there is nothing to learn from other teachers

I like WCS but I don't do weekenders and there's not much going on locally, so I've sort of given up. I thought I might treat myself to a couple of private lessons in the new year....
    Originally Posted by Caro
    I understood the question was for regular private lessons
    I don't do WCS but I am trying to learn AT and suspect the learning pains are the same for both.

If you are planning regular private lessons the people giving you advise on the forum are much better placed than me.

However if as you say you are only planning one or two private lessons and I were you I would be questioning what I expected to achieve from this as I think you will need a plan for ongoing regular (weekly x ?) tuition and social dancing.

Personally I would devise a plan that would incorporate the private lessons in my plan for ongoing tuition and social dancing. If I didn't have a plan I would think very hard about taking those private lessons because otherwise I might be about £100 out of pocket and none the wiser.

If you want private lessons why don't you contact Graham LeClerc - I don't know what his WCS teaching is like, but he will certainly be good enough to take you through the basics and getting you dancing.

Graham is local to you, so he can organise a venue or maybe slot-on after or before one of his classes in Shoreham.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    If you want private lessons why don't you contact Graham LeClerc - I don't know what his WCS teaching is like, but he will certainly be good enough to take you through the basics and getting you dancing.

Graham is local to you, so he can organise a venue or maybe slot-on after or before one of his classes in Shoreham.

AFAIK Graham doesn't teach West Coast anymore, but it might be worth getting hold of his demo Becky, who is the one that was teaching it to him. Randel might also be worth contacting. Maybe if they were interested do a handful with them then go on to Paul or Cat etc.

I have their details if you want them.

........I would go for regular privates with a top male teacher, with occasional privates from female teachers. That's what works well in my experience, may be others have a different view on that.......
    It depends on the experience of the female teacher - the best WCS private I have had was with Deborah S. and Angela Andrews (Cookie) for Lindy

I find female know the problems us followers have when learning, better than the males. PLUS all good pros can lead and follow.

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

AFAIK Graham doesn't teach West Coast anymore........
    We are not talking about lessons, Miss Flicts is asking after privates. I know Graham pretty well and having met Miss Flicts - I am very sure Graham would be very happy to teach her (and she is a competant dancer)

Using his demo with Randal is not a good idea - however good their dancing may be, they are not teachers.

Graham LeClerc has an excellant track record for teaching - and is well respected in the "teachers world" and he has been teaching for over 20years.

Once Miss Flicts has learnt the basics and is confident with the dance, I would advise her to move on to someone on the same level as Cat, Paul or Lee, or if poss try and attend a workshop by the frequently visited American pros.

--ooOoo--

Thread Information