Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet Explorer Panic!

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: Internet Explorer Panic!

People, Chrome is where it is at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Better statistics are here at w3c - users of w3c are very likely to have thought and "chosen" their browser rather than accepted the IE "default", so it is a much more accurate estimate. It shows that Firefox is by far the most popular browser with 44.2% use. IE7 and IE6, two very different browsers come in at 26.6% and 20.0% respectively.
    w3schools does not seem to be related to w3c. They are just one site on the big, wide internet. How can this make them "more accurate"? Either way, these numbers confirm that more people use IE than Firefox.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    w3schools does not seem to be related to w3c. They are just one site on the big, wide internet. How can this make them "more accurate"? Either way, these numbers confirm that more people use IE than Firefox.

Looks like you're
    right as usual - w3schools has nothing to do with w3c.

I still stand by my comment though. These statistics are more accurate when talking about "savvy" computer users and their choice of browser, by fact of being a technical site specifically aimed at helping people write content to be displayed in a browser.

Visitors here can be said to be more savvy than general users who DO NOT pick their browser and use what they have. IE is the most popular browser in use overall ONLY because of Microsofts illegal (see anti-trust trials) bundling of it with their operating system.

The stats also show that Firefox is the most popular browser by quite some way , with IE7 2nd and IE6 next - both are distinctly seperate browsers. The old version of Firefox, Mozilla, is there too in previous months. I'd also argue that Safari is popular again not because its a ground breaking bit of software, but simply because it comes free with an operating system.

Ceroc DJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    People, Chrome is where it is at the moment.
    erm .. depends

Google Chrome - CONS of Chrome
    November 2, 2008 · admin · Jump to comments

CONS OF CHROME - Let’s look at the bigger list first:

Lack of Add-Ons – this is the single biggest problem with Chrome and why people just look at it, say “Nice!”, and never run it again after that. For example, it doesn’t have a StumbleUpon toolbar, or AdBlock, or S3Fox, or any number of add-ons and extensions that people have come to depend on.

Integration with Windows OS – there are little bitty things that don’t work:

Speech Recognition on Vista doesn’t work.
    If you try are trying to Tile Multiple Windows (as talked about here), and one of these Windows is Chrome, then it won’t work (at least on XP).
    Some people are noticing continuous heavy hard disk activity when running Chrome on Windows XP 3.
    Privacy Concerns - It’s from Google – most users are vary of the Terms of Service which Google has (and for Chrome these have been revised, but are not much better). There is very little trust, when it comes to Google tracking user data, and from Chrome, it has a license to track everywhere you go. The German Government has actually warned the citizens against using Chrome.

Other Annoyances – There are other small problems that keep the hate going:

Some users reported that animated GIFs are jerky on Chrome.
    Most sites with Flash on them are in deep trouble.
    Zooming is clunky as compared to FireFox.
    Is not supported on all Operating Systems.
    Many popular sites don’t work on it despite the claims made in the Chrome Comics. (e.g. Facebook Dropdown Menus).

Looks like you're

I still stand by my comment though. These statistics are more accurate when talking about "savvy" computer users and their choice of browser, by fact of being a technical site specifically aimed at helping people write content to be displayed in a browser...
    People who write content for browsers should be familiar with multiple browsers. This select group may well prefer Firefox over others.

...Visitors here can be said to be more savvy than general users who DO NOT pick their browser and use what they have. IE is the most popular browser in use overall ONLY because of Microsofts illegal (see anti-trust trials) bundling of it with their operating system...
    But you were claiming Firefox is more used amongst computer savvy users. There are hosts of people who could be classified as "computer savvy" who have never used anything but IE, and who have never designed a web site. These stats do not prove your contention.

There are "computer savvy" people who use IE despite it being most attacked because it is also best defended by the anti-virus sellers. It is possible that a Firefox exploit, should one occur, will not be detected or fixed so quickly.

I have a software updates the last three times I closed down, there is a little army beavering away to protect me.

Looks like you're

I still stand by my comment though. These statistics are more accurate when talking about "savvy" computer users and their choice of browser, by fact of being a technical site specifically aimed at helping people write content to be displayed in a browser.

Visitors here can be said to be more savvy than general users who DO NOT pick their browser and use what they have. IE is the most popular browser in use overall ONLY because of Microsofts illegal (see anti-trust trials) bundling of it with their operating system.

The stats also show that Firefox is the most popular browser by quite some way , with IE7 2nd and IE6 next - both are distinctly seperate browsers. The old version of Firefox, Mozilla, is there too in previous months. I'd also argue that Safari is popular again not because its a ground breaking bit of software, but simply because it comes free with an operating system.
    I don't think that martingold meant "Web Developers" when he said "computer savvy people".

And why do you insist on splitting IE into IE6 and IE7? They are both Internet Explorer, they are both from Microsoft, they were both bundled in the OS, they both have much the same security issues.

In another browser usage breakdown I saw, Firefox 3 and Firefox 2 are split, with both of them being less than IE6 and IE7. (Firefox 2, with all its bugs, is apparently still more popular than Firefox 3.)

Are IE6 & IE7 really so different compared with FF2 & FF3?

I don't disagree with you as to why *most* people choose Internet Explorer, and it may well be true that most smart Windows users (oxymoron?) will use something else.

That doesn't change the facts that IE *is* the most used browser, and that this latest security hole could bite a lot of people.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Many people in a working or academic environment have no choice in the browser they use, they get whatever is preferred corporately, regardless of how computer savvy they may consider themselves after reading 'most of the computer magazines and a lot of other technical publications'

I don't think that martingold meant "Web Developers" when he said "computer savvy people".
    I dunno whether he did or not but I certainly would not include choice of browser in any definition of 'computer savvy'. I might well do in a definition of 'Internet savvy' tho.

Interesting in the context of this thread that the first article I should see when visiting The Register just now was this story about critical vulnerabilities in Firefox

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I'm sure he didn't, I am suggesting that a web developer has at least a decent level of savvy, more than enough to make it on the savvy scale! Savvy ?

And why do you insist on splitting IE into IE6 and IE7? They are both Internet Explorer, they are both from Microsoft, they were both bundled in the OS, they both have much the same security issues.
    Do they really ? The "same" security issues ? If thats true - Microsoft really messed up IE7
    Ho Ho Ho Meeerry Christmas

In another browser usage breakdown I saw, Firefox 3 and Firefox 2 are split, with both of them being less than IE6 and IE7. (Firefox 2, with all its bugs, is apparently still more popular than Firefox 3.)
    Ah ok, now my argument looks like a shallow attempt to create FUD surrounding personal possible use of IE by downplaying its popularity amongst "the savvy*". So I'll say this - Hitler would have used IE. So are YOU A NAZI ?

Are IE6 & IE7 really so different compared with FF2 & FF3?
    In all seriousness, yes (compare when versions were released and what was changed). But, the important thing is how many exploits are there that affect FF over IE. As a go-to-computer-fixing-guy, I notice people who have computers infested with trojans, spyware and viruses manage to get much less of these after installing another browser! coincidence ?
    (obviously i remove all those)

I don't disagree with you as to why *most* people choose Internet Explorer, and it may well be true that most smart Windows users (oxymoron?) will use something else.
    Ok, maybe you're not a nazi Agree with me some more and I'll promote you the other way (your current level is Neville Chamberlain).

That doesn't change the facts that IE *is* the most used browser, and that this latest security hole could bite a lot of people.
    True indeed. And no bit of software is perfect. We should be using the most obscure browser in the most obscure OS to be safer

(I mean Solaris 10 obviously)

*by "savvy", MartinGold clearly means "fans of Jimmy Saville"

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    There are "computer savvy" people who use IE despite it being most attacked because it is also best defended by the anti-virus sellers. It is possible that a Firefox exploit, should one occur, will not be detected or fixed so quickly.
    The thing that makes me stick with Firefox is that it is open-source. A lot of the hackers do their thing for kudos - if someone goes "I hacked the Microsoft browser!" his little mates all go "Kewl!". If one of them says "I hacked an open source browser!" his mates go "mmmmm" (yawn).

Then there are the commercial hackers and to stay away from them you merely avoid the most-used browser, for that is where they will focus their efforts.

Ceroc DJ

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    The thing that makes me stick with Firefox is that it is open-source. A lot of the hackers do their thing for kudos - if someone goes "I hacked the Microsoft browser!" his little mates all go "Kewl!". If one of them says "I hacked an open source browser!" his mates go "mmmmm" (yawn).

Then there are the commercial hackers and to stay away from them you merely avoid the most-used browser, for that is where they will focus their efforts.
    Well, that used to be the case back in the days when this was all "new fangled", but I rather suspect that any hacks today tend to be funded by a more malicous intent .

Remember, this particular hack relies on you visiting a website that has been especially designed to take advantage of the vulnerability anyway.

That said, its still frankly amazing these days that no-one hasn't simply created a virtual machine with just a browser in it - wouldn't that defeat all hacks?

C'mon Duncan, just because your "windows" is on a Mac doesn't make you any smarter than us on our PCs. I wouldn't touch a Mac with a bargepole but that doesn't make me feel any smarter than those who do use a Mac (I've got 3 laptops and 2 desktops all but one, business PCs running Windows).
    I'm not sure that, without a smiley suggesting intent, your inference "smart Windows users (oxymoron?)" is humour or typical Mac arrogance ??

btw, I use FF3 with, as of yesterday, the latest automatic security update and so far, I've NEVER been seriously attacked by hackers as Norton and Sygate keep them away.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Well, that used to be the case back in the days when this was all "new fangled", but I rather suspect that any hacks today tend to be funded by a more malicous intent .

Remember, this particular hack relies on you visiting a website that has been especially designed to take advantage of the vulnerability anyway.
    There is nothing to worry about with any vulnerability if no one ever writes a hack to take advantage of it (unless its a plain sight vulnerability) but we are assured somewhat when people take the time to check. There are many more vulnerabilities than there are hacks to take advantage of them, simply because there are many security professionals around.

That said, its still frankly amazing these days that no-one hasn't simply created a virtual machine with just a browser in it - wouldn't that defeat all hacks?
    Yes, and people do this, me included. If you download the VMware player and get a hold of a linux image it's also entirely free.

Ceroc DJ

Yes, and people do this, me included. If you download the VMware player and get a hold of a linux image it's also entirely free.
    Sorry - should have said easy to install as well. Its just for your average joe, start talking about vmware player virtual machines etc and the eyes start to glaze over - reminds me of rabbits in headlights

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Sorry - should have said easy to install as well. Its just for your average joe, start talking about vmware player virtual machines etc and the eyes start to glaze over - reminds me of rabbits in headlights
    It couldnt be easier - install VMware player - accept defaults. Run it. Open Linux VM file. Use it.

Simple indeed

Ceroc DJ

It couldnt be easier - install VMware player - accept defaults. Run it. Open Linux VM file. Use it.

Simple indeed
    where's internet explorer then - or safari ?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

surely Firefox is popular enough to be synonymous with "internet" to the usertards ?

you can get everything froom here - I'd download the vmware player and then the latest ubuntu at the very bottom.

Ceroc DJ

surely Firefox is popular enough to be synonymous with "internet" to the usertards ?

you can get everything froom here - I'd download the vmware player and then the latest ubuntu at the very bottom.
    its just a shame that you can't get a simple download that installs, gives you a choice of sandboxed browsers and then runs it
    Last edited by Robin; 29th-January-2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: dodgy typo

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

its just a shame that you can't get a simple download that installs, gives you a choice of sandboxed browsers and then runs it
    If thats all you want go here

Thread Information