View Poll Results: Are you going to the UK WCS Champs 2009?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Going and competing

11 30.56%
  • Yes - Going but not competing

16 44.44%
  • No - Not going

8 22.22%
  • No - I am a Tango snob

1 2.78%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Weston UK WCS Championships 17 - 19 April 2009

Re: Weston UK WCS Championships 17 - 19 April 2009

I'm all set to attend the entire UK WCS Dance champs weekend

I'm now looking forward to catching up with several friends whom I know are attending (incl. HelenB and Rhythm King), and forumites (HelenB) - but also meeting the many forumites here who I've not yet met in person

Managed to sort out my ticket, transport and accommodation arrangements for the 17th through til 20th. The only thing I opted out of the whole weekend, was the option to compete - I just don't think I could withstand the stress of competing given how I'm such a beginner at WCS

On that note, my freestyle has been limited to dancing in the wee small WCS class up in Glasgow - so if I work up the courage to ask any of the ladies for a freestyle dance, PLEASE be gentle with me

Anyway, I'm so looking forward to this, bring it on!

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyFunkster View Post
    Jack and Jills are the true test of someones skill and recognosed as that in the states, Strictlys are not taken as seriously....
    This only applies to the visual aspect to the competition. Judges can only make an assessment on what they see and can't feel what is going on at the time. What looks good is not always something that feels that good. It is easier to fake it and not work on truly being a good leader or follower. There are some great men and women on the social floor who feel amazing and alot of fun but do not give the dynamic in a competition that would take them more successful. Competition is a natural part of the human condition which makes competitions here to stay. The overwhelming winner is the dance itself because we are brought together for our love of doing something we enjoy so much.

Having competed in the states I would rather trust the level of follower that I social dance with before and after the competition. Yes it feels great to do well in a competition and I value that but do not base my dance on that.

I have been to many competitors' meetings where they remind people not to judge themselves too harshly if they do not do well in a competition. You may get what you want and then again you may not. A judge may only watch you for a very small amount of the time that you spend in your heat. It could be the worst 30 seconds or less of what you dance. So don't let months or years of dancing be judged in 30 seconds. In both WCS and MJ competitions I have seen dancers upset about not meeting their own expectations. Organisers remind us to go out there and have fun. That's by far the best advice I think anyone can ever give.

That journey home after an event can be as long or short as you make it inside. The forthcoming championships look like being the best one to date. To see so many people getting involved and to see in a short space of time dancers fulfilling a dream by bringing a routine to the floor in new categories is amazing. The effort that people are putting in to present teams is breath-taking. Well done to Jon and Wes even before the event doors open.

Anyone going to the event have a great time. Remember truly why we attend...

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    I noticed something weird the other day... so, for the Open JnJ, we have to pay 5 pounds extra (i.e. 10 pounds), yet there is no cash prize for it ?? Where does the money go then ? and... why compete then, if there is nothing to win ? (not that I really mind, you could make me compete for anything, but I find the principle odd...)

Traditionally the money received for entries of the JnJ is redistributed for the top 3 to 5 places... sometimes more in the higher divisions... I find it very curious that at Weston this is not the case
    John, is this a typo on the website ?
    Wow, it feels like about a year since I posted on here! Thats what I get for agreeing to do a Classic routine

On the issue of cost, I have to admit to being a bit bemused and a tad angry.

Not only are the entrance fees for the Classic division steep in my opinion (£50 per couple) but the fact that there is no prize money for the J&J division is totally unforgivable.
    Ok, I did get invited to do the invitational which doesn't cost anything but as I cant make it for the Friday night I now have to pay £10 to enter the Open. Yes, whoever wins gets the pride of winning it but to not offer a cash incentive is not good.

On a seperate note, Im sure it has been asked but does anyone know where I can get a timetable of events from? Had a quick look on the JA website but couldn't see anything.
    Need to plan out the comps etc.

Just wondered if anybody has received their passes,etc, yet.

It says to expect them 7-10 days before the event. I have not received anything???

That's a great post Ed. I have loved the experience of competing in WCS so far (and still do enjoy the actual dancing) but I am often disappointed not to do as well as I hope even though objectively I can look at tapes of my performances and see exactly why I did as well (or as poorly) as I did. For this reason I am intending to give more priority to the social dancing at this year's event and supporting friends who are competing. My main hope is that the gender balance is somewhat more aligned this year than last

Looking forward to the invitational too.

I'm driving to WSM Fri late afternoon and coming back Sunday (once the finals are finished) and can offer a lift from Buckingham or somewhere en route

PM if interested

Just had email from JA

Passes will be distributed on arrival at the venue.

The event programme can be viewed here

Just wanted to give credit where credit is due, as I have noticed that all the couples who placed (i.e. top 5, unfortunately not all finalists as in the US) in JnJ Novice got Novice points, and all those who placed in the Open jnj got Intermediate points.

That's a very good news for the UK scene, thanks for your efforts John and Wes

Thread Information