8 25.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Year's Eve Black & White Ball at The Colosseum, Watford

Re: New Year's Eve Black & White Ball at The Colosseum, Watford

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    What a blinding night!!!!!
    yep
    Not a bad dance all night, music was stunning all night, when the fireworks went off they blew all of the systems which ended the Old Lansyng bit, but...Who really cares? A little bit of grisle in your otherwise magnificent meat pie just reinforces the British spirit as far as I am concerned.
    ah so auld lang syne went up in smoke at least no one nicked it
    Well done to all of the crew, an absolutly stunning job done by all. The floor was a bit challenging but was sorted out by Mike Ellard with talc and other methods.
    they did a most amazing job
    , and I must say that Batgirl looked particularly stunning with her new hair and magnificent weight loss xx.
    well only one thing to say to that phwarrrrrrr
    A blinding, storming night and if you missed it....You missed it.

DTS XXX XXX
    truer words were never said mr DTS

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    So, hold on, was it too fast or too slow?
    ....it was generally too fast (ice rink territory) - although near where the forum gang were in the top right, someone (dunno who???) had spread some talc (or similar substance) which actually slowed it down substantially. Maybe they mixed the talc with some other substance to create a more sticky/tacky reaction........

fast where we were mr b
    i must admit i thought it was soap Mr E was putting down he was cutting it off a block with knife
    DTS is more experienced than me in the talc world so maybe i was wrong

Some places on the dance floor started off very fast, and felt like you where on Ice. I believe this was sorted out but I didn't really venture back to those slippy spots.

Arrived at 7:45 - door opening time. No queues and a nice easy welcome - separate desks for ticket holders and online bookers (good idea).

Instead of going through to the main dance area, we were ushered left into the bar area/2nd room - for champagne/bucks fizz/kir royale/orange juice: this was a nice piece of logistics - well worked out. The b+w balloons in the bar area got you in the mood straight away - and then the drinks were all there. Got in and chose a nice table tables were great - and room was nicely done out- then canapes came round - and that was great - tapenade, smoked salmon, meat balls, various chicken bites, cheese and grapes. Nicely presented and served. You did a double take when you realised some of the servers were top dancers on the scene. All the while at this time (8:00 - 9:00) there was some FANTASTIC music being played - although no-one was dancing at the time 'cos it hadn't really started......

Then it started to fill up and it began. I enjoyed watching the dancing a lot: just where we were in the top left - there were some great dancers strutting their stuff - and it was a pleasure just to watch as the venue does enable a good vista. First time I had watched the dancing like that. Good mix of music up to 12 with just the odd period of rubbish.

When I went for a drink refill, I hadn't realised the blues room would be going, so I had a few dances there. Nice.

Couple of hiccups around 12 - with the music (Kenny G's Auld Lang Syne was a tad crackly).- and then for some reason the lights were switched on for about 10 minutes - odd. And I thought the hokey-kokey was about to happen when a big circle formed - but just silence for a while till someone pressed the 'PLAY' button. No big deal as it soon got going again.

Then it was in to more Utopia style music......which on reflection didn't quite catch the vibe. Some good tracks - but some were a bit too downbeat - and there was a period when it could have been more uptempo and positive to capture the spirit of looking forward/excitement/etc.

And at the end, the DJ (is it Rocky??) announced that there were 3 more tracks: it would be 2 slow and 1 fast - good call to announce like that. Maybe there could be more calls like that, eg: "now we're going to play 3 rock 'n roll tracks" or "next up will be 2 hip-hop, ragga tracks" - so you can stay or go to the Blues room as you prefer.

All in all - a great night - and a BIG thanks to everyone who organised it - and who helped to run it - it is much appreciated.

In the words of Craig R-H .......Fab - U - Lous !

The venue looked great and everyone had made an effort. A lot of the men were DJ-ed up and looked absolutely gorgeous - what is it about dickey bows and crisp white shirts ?

At the beginning there was loads of food being brought round by particularly charming waiters & waitresses (!) - and it was a nice time to wander around and catch up with lots of people.

Predictably, when things livened up rather too much for me in the main room, I was drawn to the blues room - and what a wonderful time I had. I felt like that little child in a sweet shop. At one point I just seemed to float from one gorgeous dance to another, from one lovely dancer to the next. I won't mention names, for fear of missing someone out - but you know who you are. Thank you for making it a really special NYE for me.

The coffee and cakes were a welcome touch - and as this was served in the Blues room, the numbers in there swelled and a great atmosphere ensued.

The only slight downside, apart from the aforementioned non-appearance of Old Lang Syne and the slightly dodgy floor in the main room (it was fine in the blues room!) was the queue at the bar. From what I could see, this was solely down to the fact that the (lovely, friendly) barstaff had to use extremly heavy, unwieldly glass soda syphons (the size of small fire extinguishers) that just did not seem to work. If they had had soda water on tap instead, I am sure that there would hardly have been any queues at all. *

* my own humble opinion

Thread Information