Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swipe card systems

Blog Entries

Re: Swipe card systems

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Some mobiles come equipped to read barcodes. One could be programmed to do the whole data collection job, but this sort of application is out of my zone. Some of the firms selling barcode solutions will be able to advise.
    Which reminded me of this thread & QR Codes. Also, doesn't ESG do mobile development? There you go, Lory! You'd be on the cutting edge of technology!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Which reminded me of this thread & QR Codes. Also, doesn't ESG do mobile development? There you go, Lory! You'd be on the cutting edge of technology!
    cutting edges, double edged swords and all that. QR codes would open the possibilities of id badges with optional recordable extra info, such as name, forum id, email address, sales blurb etc for the few members that wanted to give out such info...

. . . .Some mobiles come equipped to read barcodes. . . . . .
    Have you ever tried this?

I have.

It was shall we say fruitful only in the sense that an hour of an otherwise boring day disappeared in a totally pointless excercise that completely failed to achieve the aim of the task.

I like phones - I'm a bit of a magpie for useful things but the barcode reader mularky is rubbish. I was going to say wank but I thought it would be sanitised!

Lory - forget the cards babe, forget the barcode reading. Go for a full DNA test I'm certain someone - possibly Big could create a tool for you. You could slip your hand in, the machine would whirr and clunk, databases could be examined and verified and lo!
    "Yes you are a memeber of my dance organisation, That will be £7 only to you please!"
    Or possibly
    Bleep Bleep Bleep "Aha! you are not a member of my organisation, please pay £9 and stand over there whilst my colleague assimilates you into the clique!"

I think I would start by asking the question what do I want the information for? Probabally either or both of:

* marketing
    * own records

Regarding marketing what methods do you have in mind where a database is important. Probabally email shots? If that is the case I would look at the software for that first. The software is cheap and simple and you can then decide on the most compatable database for the email shot software you choose.

As regards your own records, decide on the information you require and design an application form/ membership form that meets your requirements and that of the database you have in mind re the marketing. Keep in mind that the information may be incomplete and require updating from time to time and the best way to get missing information especially email addresses is when people are actually present.

I would have thought at this stage keep it as simple and economic as you can. I know it could be a pain down the line to transfer to a more sophisticated system but they cost money and are more difficult to set up now.

Regarding cards I think you will find the swipe systems used by Ceroc for instance is designed for more than the needs of the venue. Although you may consider a nicely designed card will be a good marketing tool.

Don't forget that once you put peoples data on a computer you must register with Information Commissiomer www.ico.gov.uk.

Finally make sure you are compliant in other areas as well Public and Employer liability insurance and registration with H M Revenue and Customs come to mind.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    ... Lory - forget the cards babe, forget the barcode reading. Go for a full DNA test I'm certain someone - possibly Big could create a tool for you. You could slip your hand in, the machine would whirr and clunk, databases could be examined and verified and lo!
    "Yes you are a memeber of my dance organisation, That will be £7 only to you please!"
    Or possibly
    Bleep Bleep Bleep "Aha! you are not a member of my organisation, please pay £9 and stand over there whilst my colleague assimilates you into the clique!"
    and "Your DNA indicates that you will not maintain a slot or keep time. Your genes must not survive. Move away from the apparatus and wait whilst our laser destructor is charging."

and "Your DNA indicates that you will not maintain a slot or keep time. Your genes must not survive. Move away from the apparatus and wait whilst our laser destructor is charging."
    Now I would invest in that one

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like it!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Thread Information