• See Below

1 3.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two room freestyles

Two room freestyles

Last Friday was my first two room freestyle

As ever the great and the good were there

At least I think they were, but having two rooms, made it little tricky locating partners

Its was nice having a bluesy room, but for me it diluted the atmosphere of main room
    That said the highlights of my evening were finding Elaine B free for a Tango Track, in the Utopia room and Lizzy seeking me out, for a rip roaring track in the main room
    I never managed to catch Fletch, as she zipped between the two
    MJ seems to be splitting, with the teeny boppers liking their thumpy bumby music and the latinos preferring something slow and smooth. Having two rooms should give everyone the best of both worlds, but for me, I am afraid it did not work
    Last edited by philsmove; 8th-December-2008 at 01:34 PM.

Re: Two room freestyles

Personally I had a great night last friday. Two rooms allows for more people and so more diversity but most of all it allows for a change in tempo.

The main room had all the great music that John normally plays and was there for the majority of people. The second room was there for people who like their latin, blues, WCS etc. It was great to see people trying out the Utopia room for the first time and asking 'so what's all this about then?'

Personally I spent most of the night in the Utopia room and flitted to the other room when I felt like it.

I think the only real problem with last Friday night was when it finished, cos it was way way to early. That was the main reason I didn't get to dance with any where near as many as I'de have liked to. Hopefully John will do a 2 room again, but hopefully in a venue that finishes later, as we all know, the best blues dances are done in the small hours

The 'blues' room at Hammersmith is hidden away downstairs.

There are never any signs showing where to go.

I'm sure some dancers never know it even exists.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One disadvantage of a Blues Room - especially if it's more than about 10 feet from the main room - is that the more experienced dancers could gather there and never visit the Main Room.

So it can act like a sort of "brain drain" for dancers ("Dance drain"?), in some ways. I suspect that this effect occurred at Breeze, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    Last Friday was my first two room freestyle

I thought you've been dancing for years...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post

Shhhhhhhh!
    The first rule of Hammersmith blues room is...

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    Having two rooms should give everyone the best of both worlds, but for me, I am afraid it did not work
    I think the key is... to make sure your enjoying what your doing and not to worry about what your 'not' doing i.e. what's going on, or who's in, the other room.

If your not enjoying yourself, then move to the other room.. simple!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post

The DJ does announce the blues room and the determined amongst us find it. The last time I was there (school girls and boys night) the blues room was really crowded.

I love having two room freestyle, because it gives you the option for chopping and changing tempos when you feel like it, unlike at a normal freestyle when I have to endure club mixes that I hate and tend to sit out.

I must admit if the blues room is good and the music is great like last night at Berko, I wont even leave the blues room but at least the choice is there

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post

I thought you've been dancing for years...
    I have been to, two, three and four room workshops but, to the best I my knowledge, this was the first two room freestyle in my arial
    This is Bizzel my love and I rarely get up to the smoke

Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boi View Post
    Personally I had a great night last friday. Two rooms allows for more people and so more diversity but most of all it allows for a change in tempo.

The main room had all the great music that John normally plays and was there for the majority of people. The second room was there for people who like their latin, blues, WCS etc. It was great to see people trying out the Utopia room for the first time and asking 'so what's all this about then?'

Personally I spent most of the night in the Utopia room and flitted to the other room when I felt like it.

I think the only real problem with last Friday night was when it finished, cos it was way way to early. That was the main reason I didn't get to dance with any where near as many as I'de have liked to. Hopefully John will do a 2 room again, but hopefully in a venue that finishes later, as we all know, the best blues dances are done in the small hours
    I echo what PB is saying. I spent about 95% of my time in the Blues room as the music was great, and it was where the people I wanted to dance with most were.

I also would have preferred a later finish and shall make a mental note to arrive earlier in future to avoid the muddy overflow carpark.

All in all a great night.

I'm in two minds... I like the choice, but sometimes life is just easier if everything is in one room. Especially if the other room is on a different floor/place/building/dimension.

As it's a Monday, and I like my Mondays to be uncomplicated, I'm voting for one room only.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    One disadvantage of a Blues Room - especially if it's more than about 10 feet from the main room - is that the more experienced dancers could gather there and never visit the Main Room.
    well, you could extend that logic, and just bin the main room, then everyone would be happy...

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsh View Post
    well, you could extend that logic, and just bin the main room, then everyone would be happy...
    The point is, nothing in life is free. Blues rooms are great, but they have some disadvantages.

That's all.

I must admit that when I went to JA Southport I tended to stay in the Latin Room and not venture into the Blues Room until the other rooms had closed down.

However when at home and deciding on what freestyle venue to attend the first thing I look for is the availablility of a Blues Room. It does add another dimension to the evening and seems to attrach other dancers I enjoy dancing with. Whether that venue would anyway I wouldn't like to say because there are some venues I would always go to even if there is no Blues room. All very confusing.

I suppose the answer is just enjoy yourself wherever you end up going.

Blog Entries

If given the choice, i would only attend a two room event.

I like to have the option of a blues room and a faster room.

I like to get rid of the bouncers which inevitably does happen when a blues room is available.

I love a two room event.

Commercial Operator

I have stopped going to events that are only one room. It just isn't worth it. Most of the time the music is not what I want to dance to so I am wasting both my time and my money.

The only exception to this is tea dances which are something quite different and the Rugby freestyle that Marc and Rachel do. They somehow manage to keep everyone happy and it's worth the effort to attend.

Commercial Operator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The venue only has a license to 11-45pm , even going five minutes over on friday got us into trouble, it is a residential area. Finding a suitable venue with two rooms is not easy, then finding one which will let you go late makes it even harder. We would be there til the wee hours if they would let us

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlie Bird View Post
    I have stopped going to events that are only one room.
    I'd recommend Wetherby as an exception that's worth checking out. Special extended session this month, 3pm to 10pm I think - all blues.

Gloucester was indeed a grand night out, I too, nearly came a cropper in the quagmire that was the overflow carpark. Managed to get my heavy car out and onto the road though, gawd bless Mazda for the extra oomph in their mini MPVs.

Great to see so many people from my neck of the woods at Gloucs, plus the die-hard Forumites and some new faces too! Finally managed to grab the most elegant Silverfox (its only taken me 11 months LOL) for a song in the Utopia room And blues with you Poi Boi was, as always, divine. Patrick, what can I say, you have perfected the art of bending me over backwards - on the dancefloor that is!! My dance with ElaineB's Simon blew me away and of course that final dance with Mr Cool is always the highlight of any night we go to together

Personally, I love the two-room format. It was good to start the night off with a few fast warm up tracks in the main room, then move to Utopia when things got too heated or I needed a chill out. Having two rooms so closely connected was great for hopping from one room/music and dance style to another. My only gripe was the early closing time, as others have said.

And then, to top off a fantastic weekend.... GingerJive Xmas bash at Newbury on Sat night, two dances in a row with Nigel!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Kel_Warminster; 8th-December-2008 at 07:01 PM. Reason: typo's!

Quote Originally Posted by tsh View Post
    I'd recommend Wetherby as an exception that's worth checking out. Special extended session this month, 3pm to 10pm I think - all blues.

I think Weatherby is an exception also, but in general I like the two room option. It gives scope for other dancing that is difficult in a 'fast' room, e.g blues music is suited to WCS, and some also suits Tango dancing.

It is also good to have that bit of a difference to choose from the various music styles, depending on your mood throughout the evening, which may or may not change and you feel the need to go bluesy or dance faster.

Everyone is different, and the two room concept caters for all tastes. I paricularly liked Daventry for this, the blues room really worked well and especially when Marc Foster was playing, whilst you could go into the big room and shake it all out, so to speak.

I also think it works well if the dancing extends on through to the small hours, 12 oclock finishes are no good really, much better to have dancing until at least 2 or 3 or 4 am. Then the option of the slow, sexy, sultry blues has time to work properly into the small hours of the morning.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Thread Information