Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Taxis ?

Bad Taxis ?

After helping a newbie lately (a lead), he thanked me so much for allowing him to lead When I ask why, his answer was that in his local venue the Taxis there, although very friendly were back leading

I assume they think it will help the lead to remember the moves, but personally I think it delays their progress.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Re: Bad Taxis ?

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    After helping a newbie lately (a lead), he thanked me so much for allowing him to lead When I ask why, his answer was that in his local venue the Taxis there, although very friendly were back leading

I assume they think it will help the lead to remember the moves, but personally I think it delays their progress.
    absolutely right
    as a taxi follow they really need to allow the lead to do just that otherwise the correct muscle memory just does not happen all they will do is teach leads to follow a back lead if you get my drift

Back leading can help when your very new. I mean, you do have to learn where your hands go... But there comes a point where it becomes counter-productive.

Maybe more a misjudgement of where he was in the learning curve ?

I dont see anything wrong with Taxi's helping a newbie out by doing this. It's when they do it to ones that know what they are doing, all they are doing is being bad follows.

Aiding the memory of a newbie will help them progress further and faster, just look at what the famale professionals have to do in Strictly.

Good idea to start slagging off the Taxi dancers who perform an invaluable job in the world of dance.

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Good idea to start slagging off the Taxi dancers who perform an invaluable job in the world of dance.

Where's this coming from ??

The reason for starting this thread is to assist those wonderful Taxis, which BTW most of us have been one at one time or another.

When I had my "Taxi Training" (by Steve Nash - Ceroc Horsham) and yes TRAINING, all the crew learnt to lead and follow, and on the evening before class started we went over the moves that were being taught. However, it was left to the Taxi whether to back lead or not, both have their strengths.

I was curious what the forum thought

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

When I am taxi ing I let the guys lead and I don't back lead. Only reason I will back lead / help is when the guy asks me to take him thru it slowly / asks where his hands should be etc. The only way to get a guy to be a good lead is to let them lead

Quote Originally Posted by martingold
    as a taxi follow they really need to allow the lead to do just that otherwise the correct muscle memory just does not happen all they will do is teach leads to follow a back lead if you get my drift
    Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post
    When I am taxi ing I let the guys lead and I don't back lead. Only reason I will back lead / help is when the guy asks me to take him thru it slowly / asks where his hands should be etc. The only way to get a guy to be a good lead is to let them lead
    exactly my feelings

--ooOoo--

Most are an asset, a small minority are a liability. The Taxi dancer role is probably the most important in Ceroc. They are the people that newcomers have the most contact with. The best of them are major assets, the most significant factor in bringing back newcomers. There have been the odd one or two that actually deter newcomers.

Cool Re: Bad Taxis ?

So let me get this straight Dave. The taxi dancer T-shirt is like a cloak of infallibility. Anyone suggesting or hinting otherwise is slagging off the whole race.

The biggest problem with taxi dancers is that there is rarely any proper training for them. I've met so many people who have been dancing for 6 months to a year, have just picked up the beginners' moves and suddenly get asked to be taxi dancers. They are often then just thrown in at the deep end and left to get on with it. As somebody mentioned above, taxi dancers often are the most important people that beginners see, so why is there no fixed training structure for them? Ceroc are much better than many other organisations when it comes to the processes and procedures around their teachers, but this is something that is lacking and is generally left to the franchisees. I think it would be useful see more structure around it...

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    The biggest problem with taxi dancers is that there is rarely any proper training for them.

snip

I think it would be useful see more structure around it...
    the thing is that the taxis are purley volaunteers and when ceroc tried to train them only a very small percentage turned up for training
    also its hard to find people who want to do it either the good dancers just want to dance or they want to do the intermediate lessons
    We tend to try to find people who are really good with people have timing and can dance all the beginners moves acurately
    To be a taxi you really have to want to do it you have to want to help people and to have fun with them
    for those that have never done it its really hard work but very satisfying for those who want to do it
    Personally i would love it if all taxis were trained but then they would have to be paid to make sure they did the training which opens a whole new can of worms

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    the thing is that the taxis are purley volaunteers and when ceroc tried to train them only a very small percentage turned up for training
    also its hard to find people who want to do it either the good dancers just want to dance or they want to do the intermediate lessons
    We tend to try to find people who are really good with people have timing and can dance all the beginners moves acurately
    To be a taxi you really have to want to do it you have to want to help people and to have fun with them
    for those that have never done it its really hard work but very satisfying for those who want to do it
    Personally i would love it if all taxis were trained but then they would have to be paid to make sure they did the training which opens a whole new can of worms

To be a good taxi you definitley have to want to do it and be a good people person.

The majority of taxis seem fairly inexperienced. In my experience, only the more experienced ones were any use to me...

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    ... Personally i would love it if all taxis were trained but then they would have to be paid to make sure they did the training which opens a whole new can of worms
    Ceroc Central did try to train Taxis and offered extra benefits, like buffet following and free admission to evening freestyle after that. The response, in general, was not there.

It is a very large can of of very nasty worms. Pay the best what they were worth, in terms of revenue, and they would be paid more than the teacher, and there would be little chance of persuading the others, or the teacher, that they were not worth as much. There are "dancers" that would pay the admission fee just to get one dance with some Taxis.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    Back leading can help when your very new. I mean, you do have to learn where your hands go... But there comes a point where it becomes counter-productive.
    I would argue it is ALWAYS counter productive, unless it is specifically asked for i.e. to step through a move to learn. Never during an actual dance though.

Maybe more a misjudgement of where he was in the learning curve ?
    More like a huge arrogant assumption that they should back lead them - this comment came after someone thanked someone else for "alowing" them to lead thats terrible!

Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boi View Post
    I dont see anything wrong with Taxi's helping a newbie out by doing this. It's when they do it to ones that know what they are doing, all they are doing is being bad follows.
    I think "all they are doing is being bad follows" is what they are doing roughly ...ooh...100% of the time. Give or take...oooh...nothing.

Aiding the memory of a newbie will help them progress further and faster, just look at what the famale professionals have to do in Strictly.
    I could reply, but if you think that's a valid comparison in any shape or form, it really wouldn't matter what i said

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    There are "dancers" that would pay the admission fee just to get one dance with some Taxis.
    The male taxi dancers in London are all top notch.

Where's the smiley for 'smug'?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I would argue it is ALWAYS counter productive, unless it is specifically asked for i.e. to step through a move to learn. Never during an actual dance though.
    Then I would assume you have forgotten just how hard MJ can be to new people

I certainly found it a great help to be led thru a whole beginner lesson routine when I started. I remember I made about six million apologies to the poor taxi whose life I blighted

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    Then I would assume you have forgotten just how hard MJ can be to new people
    Yes - there's no point in wittering on about technique if you don't have the form sorted out.

Backleading is teaching - it's only wrong if the impression is given that "this is how dancing works" instead of "this is me showing you the moves".

Cool Re: Bad Taxis ?

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    The male taxi dancers in London are all top notch.

Where's the smiley for 'smug'?
    Yeah! It's difficult to back lead when you actually are the lead (even for a London dancer)

Thread Information