Thread: Are there to many Weekenders?

Are there to many Weekenders?

Given the current economic climate don’t you think there are too many weekenders. Its great to have a choice of weekenders to go on and the competition between rival companies will help keep the prices down and standards up. However isn’t there a real possibility of diluting the atmosphere?

Punters only have so much money and so much free time. If you can’t go on them all how do you choose which ones?
    I am sure there will be a few poorly attended weekenders next year where punters are rattling around on oversized dance floor. There will be no atmosphere and people will think twice before attending that venue again.
    Isn’t it bloody annoying when you book up on a load on weekends for next year and then another one is advertised (LUX) that you would have liked to have gone on. Where do you draw the line?

Another consideration for us punters is the cost of all these weekender. £319 for LUX (suite price) would buy me a return flight to Los Angeles, Deli, Dubai or Hong Kong. Add up the cost of half a dozen weekenders and I could have brought myself a round the world ticket.

I think what I am looking for is Quality not Quantity. The Dance world is not Recession proof and I don’t want to waste my time & money on a duff poorly attended weekender.
    Last edited by Spinmaster; 6th-December-2008 at 02:05 PM.

Re: Are there to many Weekenders?

Quote Originally Posted by Spinmaster View Post
    £319 for LUX (suite price) would buy me a return flight to Los Angeles, Deli, Dubai or Hong Kong.

But what are you going to do when you get there ? Go on a Murder Mystery weekend in Mumbai? Most of the weekenders I am book on booked on, are nearly sold out and they cost a lot less than £319
    Compared with my past hobbies, dancing is really cheap. I predict a big increase in dances as the depression arrives. Modern jive has its origins in the 30s, when we had the last great depression
    With the weakening pound people will be staying in Blity for the week end, rather than going to Angeles, Deli, Dubai or Hong Kong.
    With property prices crashing, there is a chance, not all of our venues will be converted in to yuppie flats

It’s not all doom and gloom

Having said that, listen to Jeremy Clarkson, predicting the end of the world and for once I think he is being serious
    Last edited by philsmove; 6th-December-2008 at 02:37 PM.

Cool Re: Are there to many Weekenders?

If you have enough experience in the dance scene to attend multiple weekenders, you'll know which ones are the cream of the crop. If you don't want to go to all the weekenders just cherry pick the ones that suit you best mate. This is what other dancers are already doing.

Therefore the best will stay the best and the "also ran" weekenders will remain just that. You pay your money, you take your pick. As a punter choice is where it's at. Don't knock it

For around £350 all in you can do a dance weekender in America. This is something that I have seen an increasing number of U.K. dancers doing. A long weekend dancing in the Texas sunshine, for Pontins money. Makes you think!
    Last edited by StokeBloke; 6th-December-2008 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    If you have enough experience in the dance scene to attend multiple weekenders, you'll know which ones are the cream of the crop. If you don't want to go to all the weekenders just cherry pick the ones that suit you best mate. This is what other dancers are already doing.

Therefore the best will stay the best and the "also ran" weekenders will remain just that. You pay your money, you take your pick. As a punter choice is where it's at. Don't knock it
    couldnt agree more stoke me old mate
    For around £350 all in you can do a dance weekender in America. This is something that I have seen an increasing number of U.K. dancers doing. A long weekend dancing in the Texas sunshine, for Pontins money. Makes you think!
    what???? where when how and whos up for a forum meet in texas ?

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post

whos up for a forum meet in texas ?
    ye ha

Cool Re: Are there to many Weekenders?

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    what???? where when how and whos up for a forum meet in texas ?
    Ummm... I've been told by a couple of dancers who do this that part of the appeal of dancing in the States is actually getting away from the usual crop of dancers and forumites

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    . Modern jive has its origins in the 30s, when we had the last great depression
    Sorry Mate I am not that old - Can't remember the 30s, Did you have Hair back then?

Ummm... I've been told by a couple of dancers who do this that part of the appeal of dancing in the States is actually getting away from the usual crop of dancers and forumites

Thread Information