Thread: Welcome to Sunny Aberdeen

Cool Welcome to Sunny Aberdeen

...with Beach Ballroom event nearly here and many guests heading towards Sunny Aberdeen I thought I'd give you some ideas of what to see & do in the few hours you might not dance...
    First of all: Aberdeen truly is a wonderful city and have a lot's to offer! Obviously close to many Bonnie hills and Castles and many fantastic local sandy beaches - all stunning and totally different. We also have an incredible number of lovely parks etc, but so much more than that as well.
    The Silver City (...not true what they say that it is grey...!) is fun to wander in - particularly this week-end - as the main street "Union Street" will be closed for traffic and there will be about 70+ stalls: International market with art craft, food and nips etc. (Christmas Lights are up as well!) Old Aberdeen well worth a visit and so are the many fine galleries. Aberdeen Art Gallery & Museum excellent! You won't have time to visit all the parks, but one you should make an effort to see is Duthie Park with Europe's largest indoor winter garden - amazing! Maritime Museum just off Union Street is also well worth a visit - even just for the building and for the view - free entrance as well so no excuse.
    Friday afternoon 1pm: Free entrance with live music at the Lemon Tree pub in 5 West North Street: Holly Lerski & Cicero Buck.
    Friday night: Les Ballet Trockadero at His Majesty's Theatre! Professional male dancers perform contemporary and classical dance 7.30 pm from £ 10.50 - £ 18.50 (Fun!) http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk
    Alt Friday night: Stand up Comedy show at the Lemon Tree Pub: Doors open 9pm for 10 pm on stage: Reverend Obediah, Steppenwolf 3 & Bruce Morton.
    Sunday lunch: Chill with live jazz at Lemon Tree from 12.30 pm with Norman May Quartet (free entrance and nice reaonable lunches and lovely cakes..). For those with more energy - walk up Aberdeen's Hill "Bennachie" for an amazing view of the area.
    Many pubs with live music every night all over town and excellent restaurants all over.
    Again - Welcome to Aberdeen & Hope you all have a fantastic time.

Re: Welcome to Sunny Aberdeen

Well said Monika! I live up here and had forgotten what was available!

I just climbed Bennachie a couple of weeks ago and it is a lovely and not to taxing walk. Just a bit dodgy at the top wiith the scree but if I can do it anyone can!

The Lemon Tree is a great venue and I have seen several superb bands and there is a lovely theatre as well.

See you at the Beach Ballroom

Sandy x

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar
    Great idea Monika - now I just need to work out how I can manage to sneak along to Union Street in the middle of the workshops - there goes lunch again

Do you know what it is that's on in the Forum on the Friday night - 21st?
    Marlene mentioned it when I was at 'Culter on Tuesday but I'm not sure re times etc - Think Pammy and Boomer are intending to go so any more detail would be appreciated.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Hotel Info

Anyone still looking for accommodation in Aberdeen, the
    Ramada Jarvis Hotel, 34 market Street (1 mile from BB) has twin ensuite rooms with B&B for £26 each and single rooms for £30.
    Very reasonable, considering breakfast is included.

TT x

Tel: 01224 582 255
    www.ramadajarvishotel.co.uk
    Last edited by Twinkle Toes; 17th-November-2003 at 01:45 PM.

Sheen & Others

...thank's for reminding me - nearly forgot as always so much going on up here:
    Friday 21st: "The best of Latin Rythms" at Forum Meze Bar, 3 Skene Terrace (just across HM Theatre) from 10 pm until 3 am. Salsa - Merengue - Pop (...Ceroc/Jive....!?) £5,-
    DJ Muricio Lopez, Tickets at the door or by phoning 07960 172 736.
    (Also the famous "Vegas Night" on the Saturday night as well, but guess we'll all be at the Beach Ballroom until 2 am then head for the beach... (?) so although Vegas party until 3 am won't be much time to get us kitted up in our Vegas outfits...)
    For those travelling far there's always the option to stop in Edinburgh en-route to Aberdeen and join the Route 66 party - always fabby and superb music... decisions decision...

See you soon x

Hi Monika, as a new Forum member from Glasgow would like yto say a big thank you for taking the time to post details of things to do in Aberdeen . Much appreciated. Thank you.

Originally posted by Eva
    Hi Monika, as a new Forum member from Glasgow would like yto say a big thank you for taking the time to post details of things to do in Aberdeen . Much appreciated. Thank you.
    Yep, I's just like to second that Will be printing these posts out, so any more advice on things to do will be much appreciated

P.S Gadget, thanks for the info about Eats in Aberdeen

PS, I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Thank's for the positive feed-back guys & I really hope you enjoy your visit. I was only meant to be here on a 6 months assignment for work (from Norway) & that's about 2.5 years ago now and I've no intentions to move... Very fond of Bonnie Scotland & Aberdeen and the fine Scottish people and the hills and all the Cultural events and dancing and just being here.
    ...not sure if it was clear that the International Street Market in Union Street & Belmont Street is on both Saturday & Sunday: Opening hours 9am to 5pm - so even attending all workshops you might manage a wee look before or between dancing...
    If you're up for getting in to the Christmas Spirit the schools in Grampian are having their yearly Chirstmas Fayre at the Music Hall (in Union Street) from 12 noon to 3pm on Sunday (free entrance).
    Unfortunately too late to get tickets to Stereophonics concert at Abz Exhibition and Conference Centre Monday night 7.30pm as sold out, but again - just a random week in Sunny Aberdeen and so much to do and see.
    Take care

Eating

Just in case anyone hasn't noticed - Franck has arranged a hot buffet for the Beach Ballroom, aprox 7pm - details on the "Aberdeen Party" thread.

He'll need numbers so if you're interested, go post!

Only 4 more sleeps!
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Re: Eating

Originally posted by Sheena
    ...Only 4 more sleeps!
    3, I won't be able to sleep Thursday night This is better than Xmass

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Got a t-shirt idea for Saturday - instead of 'Im with Stupid' and an arrow. Ill have 'Im with the hairy arsed gorilla' and an arrow.

2nd thought, maybe not.

Possibly could have 'Im a Dundee MAd groupie' - popular girls these MAd crew they should have groupies dont you think ?

or ' I danced with FilthyCute and all i got was this fabulous sequined t-shirt'

or

'The Demon likes soup'

or

'If I can lead a horse to water, why cant i make it do a pretzel?'

or

If you can read this you're doing UCP

Orders taken now

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    'If I can lead a horse to water, why cant i make it do a pretzel?'
    or
    If you can read this you're doing UCP
    Orders taken now
    One of each please Scathe - Brilliant!!!!
    Could also get the UCP one on the waist/hips band of trousers - for those sexy layback moments that Adam and Mandy demonstrated so well

.......MAd crew they should have groupies dont you think ?
    If they look and dance like you Mr S - I'm all for it

Got a t-shirt idea for Saturday - instead of 'Im with Stupid' and an arrow. Ill have 'Im with the hairy arsed gorilla' and an arrow.
    How about, 'you pleased to see me, or is that just a littl smurfey in your pocket?'
    2nd thought, maybe not.
    My god I have to agree with the Smurf
    'The Demon likes soup'
    Orders taken now
    That sounds suitably 'off-the-wall', I'll have one. 30"neck, 200" chest, ta very much DS
    Last edited by Boomer; 18th-November-2003 at 01:03 PM.

Commercial Operator

'The Demon likes soup'

Don't he just

Thread Information