Thread: Exterior security sensing light - not working properly: any ideas

Exterior security sensing light - not working properly: any ideas

An external light which has a separate sensor to detect movement - which triggers the light is not working: it is always on - so it is as if it is permanently detecting movement.

Anyone got any ideas what this could be or how to fix it? (Someone mentioned it could be spider 'inside it'?

Does it require an electrician to sort it out or is DIY possible?

If the sensor is broken, then surely it would not come on at all.....or?

Grateful for any help on this.

Cheers,

It looks a bit like this:

Re: Exterior security sensing light - not working properly: any ideas

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    If the sensor is broken, then surely it would not come on at all.....or?
    No it can jam on as well as off

but check if has a sensivity setting, on dark days it might think its night

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    No it can jam on as well as off

but check if has a sensivity setting, on dark days it might think its night
    this is the most likely answer (check the lux setting) although the contacts can burn on
    replacing the PIR (passive infra red) sensor should be an easy task for anyone make sure you change it like for like (ie just change the pir) though as any circuit design change (ie if you changed it for a built in light/sensor) comes under the part p regulations you can use any make or model of pir i would go to your local electrical wholesale company (ie city electrical factors) and buy one from there it will normally be better quality than b and q offerings ( B.E.G. is a good make)

An external light which has a separate sensor to detect movement - which triggers the light is not working: it is always on - so it is as if it is permanently detecting movement...
    I have seen such detectors being triggered by a street light, which provides the heat source, and foliage waving in the wind, which provides the movement.

Blog Entries

My one used to have a switch on and off for all the time on, switch on and off twice to have it on day only etc etc... Right pain in the neck. If you unplugged it, it had to be re-set again.

Dont know if yours has any silly setting function like that?

And yes i know im a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    My one used to have a switch on and off for all the time on, switch on and off twice to have it on day only etc etc... Right pain in the neck. If you unplugged it, it had to be re-set again.

Dont know if yours has any silly setting function like that?

And yes i know im a girl.
    your absolutely right trouble

you are a girl

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    this is the most likely answer (check the lux setting) although the contacts can burn on
    replacing the PIR (passive infra red) sensor should be an easy task for anyone make sure you change it like for like (ie just change the pir) though as any circuit design change (ie if you changed it for a built in light/sensor) comes under the part p regulations you can use any make or model of pir i would go to your local electrical wholesale company (ie city electrical factors) and buy one from there it will normally be better quality than b and q offerings ( B.E.G. is a good make)
    Hiya Martin - I forgot you had expertise in this area............

And thanks everybody for your replies. So based on this I propose to go at it like this:

1. Look at the sensor and see if it has a switch/control which can be moved or changed.

2. If it doesn't (or if this makes no difference) then detach the unit and replace it with similar. Is this a case of unscrewing it? (I haven't looked at how it is attached). I assume no wiring to do??? Or?

Can you confirm this approach is ok?

Thanks!!!

Hiya Martin - I forgot you had expertise in this area............

And thanks everybody for your replies. So based on this I propose to go at it like this:

1. Look at the sensor and see if it has a switch/control which can be moved or changed.

2. If it doesn't (or if this makes no difference) then detach the unit and replace it with similar. Is this a case of unscrewing it? (I haven't looked at how it is attached). I assume no wiring to do??? Or?

Can you confirm this approach is ok?

Thanks!!!
    yes you can just detach it and replace with a similar unit take it to your local electrical wholesale trade counter they should be able to tell you exactly what you need and what to do

this is a pretty comprehensive brochure on P.I.R.s dont worry about the manufacturer they will all be something like this
    it is a pretty good guide

hope its not too techy personally i dont think it is but i have been playing with these things for the best part of 30yrs lol
    if you want any more help pm me i will let you have my mobile i should be able to talk you through it

Usually there is an adjuster underneath, which can be set to the light sensitivity.
    Another point, is it installed in an alcove, or where the shadow might catch it. Some times if there is a wall or another obstruction affecting the light this can trigger it. The sun is also lower in the sky now which could affect the available light. Did you have the same problem in the Summer months (apparently May till about September, if you missed it!)

An easier way to switch it off when you don't need it is to put a normal household light-switch into the circuit

Quote Originally Posted by Jivejunkie View Post
    Usually there is an adjuster underneath, which can be set to the light sensitivity.
    Another point, is it installed in an alcove, or where the shadow might catch it. Some times if there is a wall or another obstruction affecting the light this can trigger it. The sun is also lower in the sky now which could affect the available light. Did you have the same problem in the Summer months (apparently May till about September, if you missed it!)

An easier way to switch it off when you don't need it is to put a normal household light-switch into the circuit
    hey jive junkie welcome to our comfort zone lol something we both know about hehehe
    at least Genevieve cant take the p out of you here eh?

ill find my own way to the door

Thread Information