Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DO I need to change my bios for a CD Rewriter?

DO I need to change my bios for a CD Rewriter?

Hi all geeks out there.

I have just put a new (secondhand) CD Rewriter into my computer. Its connected up OK and I can record onto it using Windows Media Player. But I have been told that I need to change my BIOS to accept it because it is only playing in Windows platform!!

Ultimately I want to transfer tape to CD, but need to load some type of 'wave manger???' but I've been told that I need to put something into the BIOS

If you know what I'm talking about (and I don't!) could anyone out there help me please

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: DO I need to change my bios for a CD Rewriter?

Quote Originally Posted by Jivejunkie View Post
    Hi all geeks out there.

I have just put a new (secondhand) CD Rewriter into my computer. Its connected up OK and I can record onto it using Windows Media Player. But I have been told that I need to change my BIOS to accept it because it is only playing in Windows platform!!
    You are talking nonsense. On the one hand you say it works as you can record onto it and then you say you "need to change" your BIOS to accept it - which is frankly nonsensical. "only playing in Windows platform" doesn't even make grammatical, never mind technological, sense - are you on mind altering drugs ?

Ultimately I want to transfer tape to CD, but need to load some type of 'wave manger???' but I've been told that I need to put something into the BIOS
    It sounds to me like someone is saying you need a bios firmware upgrade in order for the onboard sound to work properly and enable you to rip music to cd. Sounds unlikely. What are you using to transfer tape to cd exactly? line in ? can we assume you cannot rip from cd either ?

If you know what I'm talking about (and I don't!) could anyone out there help me please
    yes, probably

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    You are talking nonsense. On the one hand you say it works as you can record onto it and then you say you "need to change" your BIOS to accept it - which is frankly nonsensical. "only playing in Windows platform" doesn't even make grammatical, never mind technological, sense - are you on mind altering drugs ?
    I would think his confusion is why he made the thread in the first place...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Villemo View Post
    If his confusion is with basic common sense, there is no helping him

Quote Originally Posted by Villemo View Post
    Yes but the original post didn't make much sense, if the CD Rewriter is burning CDs then all is well, the BIOS settings are fine. If it wasn't working then it would be understandable that you may have needed to change something, including BIOS settings.

Jivejunkie
    If the plan is to convert tape to CD then it's unlikely to be a straight one to the other. It would be more a case of recording the music (could be .wav format that someone has suggested, so you would need a recorder capable of recording to WAV format but can't see how the BIOS is involved) to your PC first as audio files of some sort, then once you're happy record the files to CD as the usual audio CD rather than a data CD.

Recording your tapes via the line in is probably the simplest way but might not be the best quality.

Can you give us any more info about what you've been told to do to your computer?

You related to Simon Travaglia or something?

... it is only playing in Windows platform!!...
    If it works in any Windows program then it should be possible for it to work in all Windows programs.

Are you trying to get it to work in Linux or some other operating system? (I doubt that you are.)

A standard Windows computer using XP or Vizta should have all of the tools necessary to get from tape to CD, although at poor to moderate quality.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    You related to Simon Travaglia or something?
    I'm certainly too old to be a PFY now

Is the "only playing in Windows platform" problem because the CDs are being written with WMA-format files, rather than CD-Audio?

If so, the problem is with Windows Media Player. Try iTunes.

For recording tapes and writing them to CD, you need software to record the audio. Try Audacity.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Oh my, I can't see the screen for tears..........poor Jivejunkie, you lot are really mean

..........and v.funny

He has only just mastered the abacus.....you will have to SPEAK UP so that he can hear you and say things S....L....O....W....L....Y.

Itunes???.....pmsl

Ceroc DJ

Hi all geeks out there.

I suspect that what is happening is that you cannot play the cd's you make on a regular cd player. This is because the cd needs to be "finished" or "closed" in order for most regular cd players to read it.

This has nothing to do with any technical stuff other than finding out how to finish your cd's.

Its the running and walking thing.... one definitely comes before the other !

Cool Re: DO I need to change my bios for a CD Rewriter?

Right Pillock!

Some of us are obviously not blessed with the same superhuman technical knowledge as others - YES that is why I asked!

Some of us do not mind admitting that occasionally we require a bit of help. I explained in my original posting that I was confused and I did not really understand what I had been told, as it is something I had not encountered before - guess what! I don't own a playstation, or an MP3 or a Wii either. I also have a problem with my girlfriends central heating because I'm not a plumber or gas fitter. But if somebody asked me about connecting a 3-phase busbar, or incandescant discharge lighting, or even how to surf the internet I would be able to help.

So Dreadful Scathe if you can't accept that perhaps occasionally someone might not quite reach the standard of intellect of your good self, it might be a good idea to just shut up and let someone else answer the question.

Meanwhile thankyou very much for the sensible suggestions and answers.

Jive Junkie MISM LCGI AMIQA

Quote Originally Posted by Genevieve View Post
    Oh my, I can't see the screen for tears..........poor Jivejunkie, you lot are really mean

..........and v.funny

He has only just mastered the abacus.....you will have to SPEAK UP so that he can hear you and say things S....L....O....W....L....Y.

Itunes???.....pmsl
    your mean you wait till he gets you in a blues room again

Quote Originally Posted by Genevieve View Post

..........and v.funny

Itunes???.....pmsl
    Well you weren't a lot of help either WERE YOU!!!!!

I'm sorry but my NINE City and Guilds qualifications (including Electronics) (Of which I am a Licentiate of ) my 8 qualifications in Quality and Health & Safety and my NVQ 4 in Management do not cover CD Rewriters.
    And the reason I need to speak slowly to Genevieve is because she is from STOKE and their brain doesn't work as fast

Sorry for asking! I'll put my tape player back in the car!!!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Right Pillock!

Some of us are obviously not blessed with the same superhuman technical knowledge as others - YES that is why I asked!
    I was replying to Villemos reply to my attempt at humour. You're original post has conflicting information in it. "It works, yet it doesn't " - makes little sense

I was replying to Villemos reply to my attempt at humour. You're original post has conflicting information in it. "It works, yet it doesn't " - makes little sense
    Ok, I'll calm down and clarify ;-

When I was given the rewriter, I was also given a copy of NERO, and told to download some wave management software from 'softpedia', or 'audicity' which I did.
    But when I tried to copy another CD first just to see if it works, I got a message saying that the format was not recognised or there was an error (or words to that effect)
    In my frustration I uninstalled NERO and the other software, and managed to copy a disc into 'my music' file, using media player, and from that I copied onto a CD-RW disc. However this was very poor quality and sounded scratched (like good old 45's used to!)

So I was told that I needed to tell my computer via the BIOS that I had the rewriter installed, so that I could get a purpose-made programme like NERO and the 'Wave Management File' to work. But I don't know how to do this, hence my original posting.

I have been told that to record tapes I need to connect my headphones or 'line-out' socket from my Tape player into the 'Line-in' socket of my soundcard, and then I need the 'Wave Mangement' file to transfer the analogue data into a format recognised by the CD.
    Sorry for the confusion

Well you weren't a lot of help either WERE YOU!!!!!

Calm down dear.....I'll have to put you across my knee else

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Now it's making more sense

=
    When I was given the rewriter, I was also given a copy of NERO, and told to download some wave management software from 'softpedia', or 'audicity' which I did.
    But when I tried to copy another CD first just to see if it works, I got a message saying that the format was not recognised or there was an error (or words to that effect)
    In my frustration I uninstalled NERO and the other software, and managed to copy a disc into 'my music' file, using media player, and from that I copied onto a CD-RW disc. However this was very poor quality and sounded scratched (like good old 45's used to!)
    My best guess would be that the recording bitrate was set too low. You should see it in the software you used as an option somewhere. You want 44,000 Htz or better.

The cd Writer or the CD itself will not affect the sound quality.

So I was told that I needed to tell my computer via the BIOS that I had the rewriter installed, so that I could get a purpose-made programme like NERO and the 'Wave Management File' to work. But I don't know how to do this, hence my original posting.
    The Bios are part of the hardware that keeps all the settings. When you first posted it sounded like you were told to install the bios on the CDWritter which is hard work but possible (and very doubtfully needed).

The bios you are infact refering too are part of the motherboard which keeps information on what is connected inside the computer. If your version of windows (let us know what you are running) can see the CD writter driver, then you dont have to worry about doing it as windows is detecting it itself.

I have been told that to record tapes I need to connect my headphones or 'line-out' socket from my Tape player into the 'Line-in' socket of my soundcard, and then I need the 'Wave Mangement' file to transfer the analogue data into a format recognised by the CD.
    Sorry for the confusion
    Yep, There are a few programs out there to do this, will post a few in a mo.

They work in the following stages

1) Connect headphone out of tape player in to 'Line in' of soundacrd
    2) Select 'Line in' In the recording software to be the source to record from
    3) set the bit rate for recording to 48,000htz (this stops the scratchy, being played down a phone line sound you are getting)
    4)record the song
    5) save as MP3, wav, WMV again selecting 48,000htz as the bitrate
    6) write the recorded mp3s (or Wavs, WMV's) to the CD either by draging and dropping or through Media player (again depending on what version you have)

Will throw up some recording software abit latter after I have eaten dinner.

Thanks Lee (and everyone else) The mists are clearing a bit now.
    I'm running XP and it does appear to know I've connected the rewriter, so I take it that the BIOS is OK, I just need to download the relevent software.

It is a real step back for Technology really isn't it when you think about it!
    - you never hed this problem before CD's you could just record everything on Cassette. I must say I've always hated the way you eventually are 'forced' to upgrade a perfectly workable computer, or have to change the telly because we're forced to go digital (Be nice if they could stop the picture freezing or move in steps every so often though, ) - well I suppose jobs have to be guarenteed somehow (Even if it is in some other far-flung land)

Ceroc DJ

Thanks Lee (and everyone else) The mists are clearing a bit now.
    I'm running XP and it does appear to know I've connected the rewriter, so I take it that the BIOS is OK, I just need to download the relevent software.

It is a real step back for Technology really isn't it when you think about it!
    - you never hed this problem before CD's you could just record everything on Cassette.
    Ermm .. I think you have this a bit confused ! You are using a computer to additional perform the task that your tape recorder did. You can buy dedicated machines to copy music and make cd's - it would work more or less like a tape recorder in that respect, however I think they didn;t sell very well as people worked out that they could do the same thing on their pc.

I suggest you download a cd burning package called cdburnerxp - its really easy to use and doesn't over-complicate things.

I also think you need to ensure that when you burn your cd's, make sure that they are "closed" or "finished" as some older cd drives won't read them if they aren't.

I've also experienced the scratchy/bad sound - can occur either with cheap cd's or if you choose too fast a speed to write the cd - ie when you are asked how fast to write at, don;t choose maximum - especially if its an older computer as this will cause the bad sound you are experiencing. You'll also find that rewrite-able cd's don;t work too well for music as lots of regular cd players won;t read them

hope this helps

Thread Information