View Poll Results: Are you going to CEROCPORT?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

47 44.34%
  • No

49 46.23%
  • Maybe - I'll need to check my diary

1 0.94%
  • Clicky Click

3 2.83%
  • I 'was' going but can't now, due to the date change

6 5.66%
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Ceroc Blush weekender @ Southport (REVISED DATE!!! 13th – 16th March 2009)

Re: Ceroc Blush weekender @ Southport (REVISED DATE!!! 13th – 16th March 2009)

The 'being in Feb' thing isn't really a reason to change the date as the past two years there have been extremely successful weekenders at Southport in Feb.

So changing from what is a time that has been shown to work at that venue, to go almost head to head with another Ceroc weekender (Storm), just cos 'the weather might be better' (presume not the reason for the Sep - Oct change later in the year) seems a bit strange.

I hadn't booked for this but if I had I'd be really annoyed about the 'cancellations must be within 14 days of this email' bit, especially given that booking for Ceroc weekenders are paid in full in advance and that it might take time for everyone in a group booking to be able to check if everyone can still go etc.

One of my favourite sayings in my voluntary capacity is 'there's only 52 weekends in a year' now it seems there are only 52 weekenDERS in a year

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Well, what could possibly go wrong then?

I mean, after all, we're reliably informed that they can teach "just about anything".

It's almost worth booking it, just to see their masterclass in Argentine Tango. Assuming they bother to turn up of course.
    Now you're being delibrately obtuse David...

Many major dance acts are booked on the basis of their CV and sometimes references, coupled with their dance ability and, from a meeting, a feeling for them based on their personality and open-ness. Occasionally it can go wrong as it did with Benjy Schwimmer for JA, but there is not much more we can do given that they are now into a cycle of dance performances rather than teaching engagements.

In short, we are happy that the due deligence has been done and that they will do great a job.

As regards your comments about teaching 'anything'. Well, having reviewed their teaching and educational CV's based on study projects etc. then yes, I believe they can teach pretty much anything - at what level however, is another question, but that's not what you're addressing.

At Blush they will not be teaching Argentine Tango, although from the CV's we have of them it appears that they could teach a beginners class in AT with some authority. Instead they will be teaching classes based around their major strengths which will be adapted to suit the audience they will be teaching to - and they will be dancing some stunning showcases.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    At Blush they will not be teaching Argentine Tango, although from the CV's we have of them it appears that they could teach a beginners class in AT with some authority.
    Actually I reckon it's more difficult to teach a beginner's class in AT than a "fancy moves" class. As demonstrated so inaptly by TangoMoon a while back.

Instead they will be teaching classes based around their major strengths which will be adapted to suit the audience they will be teaching to
    What audience is that then - gullible newbies?

and they will be dancing some stunning showcases.
    Frankly, I suspect they're mainly just there to dance the showcases and look pretty.

And considering how truly unapologetic and spin-oriented that email from Ceroc was, you've got a nerve accusing me of being obtuse.

....Frankly, I suspect they're mainly just there to dance the showcases and look pretty..
    Whatever David... I've taken time and effort to explain to you that an awful amount of due deligence has gone into their selection as Dancers AND Teachers and if you want to ignore that, it's your perogative.

Blog Entries

Whatever David... I've taken time and effort to explain to you that an awful amount of due deligence has gone into their selection as Dancers AND Teachers and if you want to ignore that, it's your perogative.
    If only an awful amount of time had gone into communicating with customers, huh?

Also, what about that change of date? I mean, it's not exactly the easiest thing in the world for some people to re-arrange dates - plus, the new one does effectively force people to choose between Storm and Blush.

So some sort of explanation instead of an advert for a couple few people have heard of (who might not even turn up) wouldn't have gone amiss.

And, like I said to Stray, I'm not attacking these guys, I'm attacking the truly useless email.

Oh, and is "deligence" like a flood of research?

....?
    If you're concerned about the email regarding Blush then write to Ceroc HQ David and they will be happy to deal with your issues on a personal level.

Blog Entries

If you're concerned about the email regarding Blush then write to Ceroc HQ David and they will be happy to deal with your issues on a personal level.
    Err, you're the one defending it... Or have you given up on that now?

But ignoring that, the whole decision stinks, frankly - it's last-minute, it inconveniences customers, it near-clashes with two other weekenders, and there's no explanation for it.

Hell, not even all the teachers and DJs have been informed of it yet - and I'm sure they also have lives and bookings, so it's not exactly convenient for them to re-arrange their schedules at the drop of a hat.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    The 'being in Feb' thing isn't really a reason to change the date as the past two years there have been extremely successful weekenders at Southport in Feb.
    It does seem a little odd, I agree. If it were my turn to be cynical, I might be inclined to wonder how many people had booked for the original date. I think David's still got the Official Thread Cynic position right now though, so I'll hold off until he's done.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    It does seem a little odd, I agree. If it were my turn to be cynical, I might be inclined to wonder how many people had booked for the original date. I think David's still got the Official Thread Cynic position right now though, so I'll hold off until he's done.
    That was my thought... Less than two months to go, and maybe not enough bookings?

If that's the reason, I wonder if Pontin's are happy with their decision...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Blog Entries

It does seem a little odd, I agree. If it were my turn to be cynical, I might be inclined to wonder how many people had booked for the original date.
    Hmmm... I never thought of that. What, you reckon they just did it as a spoiler tactic against JA which backfired? Blimey, that's pretty machiavellian - nah, too much conspiracy-itis there.

I think David's still got the Official Thread Cynic position right now though, so I'll hold off until he's done.
    I think you've got the Official Paranoid Conspiracy Nut award sewn-up if it's any consolation

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

plus, the new one does effectively force people to choose between Storm and Blush.
    I'm booked for Skeggy Storm and Blush but there's no way I'll be able to do all three now

this needs some serious thinking
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Err, you're the one defending it... Or have you given up on that now? .
    Actually all I'm doing is sharing information with you about aspects I've been involved in and aspects I have some knowledge of to help answer your questions and to point out where your statements, on occasion, are incorrect.

I didn't write the email and if you therefore want to talk about its content to get answers to issues you consider important, then the old fashioned way of contacting the company that sent you the email will yield better results for you than just speculating about the content on a Public Forum.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    this needs some serious thinking
    Or, possibly, a poll!

Better think quick, you've only got 14 days left to decide.

Hmmmm.... given the choice I'd go for Storm I reckon, but that's mainly because it's closer.

Blog Entries

I didn't write the email and if you therefore want to talk about its content to get answers to issues you consider important, then the old fashioned way of contacting the company that sent you the email will yield better results for you than just speculating about the content on a Public Forum.
    Well I didn't get the email, so I can't.

But funnily enough, I find discussing this sort of thing on a public forum, by and large, is exactly the right way to get results; it's far quicker and far more responsive than email. Wonder why that is?

Blog Entries

But ignoring that, the whole decision stinks, frankly - it's last-minute, it inconveniences customers, it near-clashes with two other weekenders, and there's no explanation for it.
    Surely the most simple explanation is economic?

For example, bands often rearrange dates due to weaker than expected ticket sales. However, you'd never announce that as the reason to the public! It's better to give a vague explanation such as recording commitments, etc. You have to put a positive spin on it to encourage more punters, and not put off the ones you've already got.

I have no idea how strong sales for Cerocport were, but I wouldn't be suprised if this is the underlying reason.

Blog Entries

It does seem a little odd, I agree. If it were my turn to be cynical, I might be inclined to wonder how many people had booked for the original date.
    *lol* Great minds think alike. Sorry, I started writing mine before yours was posted. But as I'm posting from my phone it takes ages to edit quotes & write it out.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    That would make THREE weekenders in a row !!
    And thats a bad thing?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    *lol* Great minds think alike. Sorry, I started writing mine before yours was posted. But as I'm posting from my phone it takes ages to edit quotes & write it out.
    Cor, you poser you...

Mind you, I reckon your version was better if that's any consolation.

The prices being charged right now are interesting as well. According to the Blush web site the 'Early Bird' discounts only ran up until 25th November, several days before the email went out. Then there's a huge gap until the 'Slo Bird' pricing structure is supposed to start on 30th December. Then if you look at the actual booking pages they are already charging the 'Slo Bird' rates, so in effect there has never been an 'Early Bird' option for the new March dates.

The word shambles does spring to mind...

Thread Information