Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The new super button for moderators.

Re: The new super button for moderators.

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    lets face it, the thread was getting a tiny weeny bit Boring
    If that's a reason for closing a thread then I can see that shiny new button rapidly dulling through over use

I can accept it's an experiment (though DB did close one of the Cerocport threads briefly IIRC), it was just a surprise to see this one closed without warning. I didn't feel it had gone too far though clearly there were intractable differences of opinion between some of the contributors (though no more so than on the recent 'Without God' thread).

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I agree action was needed - I was feeling for poor ant as he continued digging himself deeper and deeper down that hole, but why close it instead of sticking it "outside"?

Why use such a blunt tool when you've got a far better way?
    Outside doesn't stop the descent.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree action was needed - I was feeling for poor ant as he continued digging himself deeper and deeper down that hole, but why close it instead of sticking it "outside"?

There is no 'conspiracy why'.

Closing the thread was an option, and in this case it felt like the right thing to do, especially as the last few times we sent threads outside there was heavy criticism. It was worth trying as a moderation option.

Thanks to the feedback on this thread, we (the moderating team) are able to see where its use would be appropriate (or not). I particularly like David Franklin's suggestion of a "Cool it guys, or we'll have to close the thread" warning.

In any event, if you all feel very strongly about it, we can re-open the thread, put it outside and let the downward spiral resume. Having read the thread, I think that would do nobody involved any favours, but I might be wrong.

Keep giving your feedback either way!
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Re: The Nanny State Gone Too far??

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    I'm including things like thread splitting, thread merging, and general "tidying up" activities as "censorship" - in a sense, they are, in that they affect the course of free speech.

Hopefully they affect it beneficially, but it's still "censorship". Or, moderation, depending on your point of view.

Good suggestion - sounds like a good idea; if we repeat this exercise, we should probably follow such a process.
    My tuppenceworth

According to the Cambridge Online Dictionary:

censor
    noun [C]

a person whose job is to read books, watch films, etc. in order to remove anything offensive from them, or who reads private letters, especially sent during war or from prison, to remove parts considered unsuitable

and

noun [C]
    1 (US USUALLY mediator) FORMAL someone who tries to help other people come to an agreement:
    An independent moderator should be appointed to oversee the negotiations.

2 US someone who makes certain that a formal discussion happens without problems and follows the rules:
    He challenged the president to a series of TV debates. Just the two of them, with no moderator.

I think that it might be useful if we got a "Circles Warning" from a moderator for threads that become a bit repetitive - even just that "might" get us back on topic.

On the other hand - Franck would have to employ far more moderators - after all getting off topic is our favourite hobby

Whitetiger

Re: The Nanny State Gone Too far??

IMO, closing the thread instead will lead to frustration and I suspect the argument will continue elsewhere where it can be less easily avoided.
    I thought it had been pretty much tied up to be honest. I think any points that were going to me made already had, and I was prepared to let it pass on. In fact, I think that was probably the perfect place to end it, although it was rather sudden.

I'm not frustrated that the thread has been closed. Surprised, but not frustrated.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    noun [C]
    1 (US USUALLY mediator) FORMAL someone who tries to help other people come to an agreement:
    An independent moderator should be appointed to oversee the negotiations.

2 US someone who makes certain that a formal discussion happens without problems and follows the rules:
    He challenged the president to a series of TV debates. Just the two of them, with no moderator.[/COLOR]
    That's not a useful definition - there's a better one here:
    Quote Originally Posted by From Wikipedia
    The moderators (short singular form: "mod") are users of the forum which are granted access to the posts and threads of all members for the purpose of moderating discussion (similar to arbitration) and also keeping the forum clean (neutralising spam and spambots etc). Because they have access to all posts and threads in their area of responsibility, it is common for a knowledgeable and trustworthy member to be promoted to moderator for such a task. Moderators themselves may have ranks: some may be given mod privilege over only a particular topic or section, while others (called 'global') may be allowed access anywhere. Common privileges of moderators include: deleting, merging, moving, and splitting of posts and threads; closing, renaming, stickying of threads; banning, unbanning, warning the members; or adding, editing, removing the polls of threads
    Heh, "knowledgeable and trustworthy"

On a lighter note:

Because I'm power-crazed. Didn't you get the memo? Minions, can't trust them to do anything right....

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I can accept it's an experiment (though DB did close one of the Cerocport threads briefly IIRC)
    Did I? Don't think so... Someone else may have, but I don't recall that either.

So, possibly, I'm both power-crazed and very forgetful.

I does feel like a bit of a fascist tool that can stifle debate (if you can call the last few posts debate) but to be honest I never felt more grateful to see an end of a thread (help have I now become pro fascist)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    (help have I now become pro fascist)
    If it helps, I reckon you're look really in jackboots...

Did I? Don't think so... Someone else may have, but I don't recall that either.
    You did. Here is the evidence

So, possibly, I'm both power-crazed and very forgetful.
    You certainly seem to enjoy a selective memory.

If it helps, I reckon you're look really in jackboots...
    I'll wear them for Berko on Sunday, perfect for a tango (well my style of tango anyway).

An Eclectic Toaster

... but to be honest I never felt more grateful to see an end of a thread
    Well, as with TV, the option is always to avoid watching that channel/thread .

Personally, I'd rather decide what threads are boring for myself, rather than let the mods decide it for me. That's what I already do with most of the "Who's going where this weekend?" and various games threads. And I'm sure lots of (most?) folk do likewise with their own particular bête noire threads.

Hey, perhaps I should become a moderator, and decide which threads are boring for everyone else.

IMO if a thread's not offensive, not spam, and not straying into legally/commercially sensitive areas, there's no valid reason to close it down. A gentle [MOD][/MOD] message, nudging folk back on-topic and away from the flames, would be far more sensible.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

So the questions are:
    • 1. How much censorship / moderation do we as a forum want?
    • 2. What are the most effective tools for the job?
    1. Only enough that conversations remain civil.
    2. I suggest euthanasia

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    lets face it, the thread was getting a tiny weeny bit Boring
    Did it? Can't say I noticed

I didn't feel it had gone too far though clearly there were intractable differences of opinion between some of the contributors (though no more so than on the recent 'Without God' thread).
    Absolutely. There have been a few religion related threads, as well as many threads with either Rocky vs Everyone or Andy McGregor vs everyone that have been much less civil than the one in question here.

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    I think that it might be useful if we got a "Circles Warning" from a moderator for threads that become a bit repetitive - even just that "might" get us back on topic.
    But why? There are many threads that become boring and people naturally stop reading them or posting to them. I would have suggested the life of this grammar one had approximately 2 days of effective life left. maximum. And if theres anything more boring than a thread on grammar, it has to be any thread on moderation. So now THIS thread is FAR more deserving of closure than the one we are talking about !
    On the other hand - Franck would have to employ far more moderators - after all getting off topic is our favourite hobby
    They are "employed" ? Is it minimum wage ?

I does feel like a bit of a fascist tool that can stifle debate (if you can call the last few posts debate) but to be honest I never felt more grateful to see an end of a thread (help have I now become pro fascist)
    although i was making jokes in it, I'd actually stopped reading it yesterday. Why would you be bothered about the "end of the thread"? just stop reading it

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    The forum has an 'ignore list' which makes avoiding some of the tedium easier.

I'll wear them for Berko on Sunday, perfect for a tango (well my style of tango anyway).
    wear em tonight at ware as well

Blog Entries

You did. Here is the evidence
    Oh yes, so I did - I'd forgotten.

You certainly seem to enjoy a selective memory.
    That seems a bit harsh - I said I couldn't recall, and I couldn't. Are you implying something?

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    But why? There are many threads that become boring and people naturally stop reading them or posting to them. I would have suggested the life of this grammar one had approximately 2 days of effective life left. maximum. And if theres anything more boring than a thread on grammar, it has to be any thread on moderation. So now THIS thread is FAR more deserving of closure than the one we are talking about !
    Yes. I'm writing a PM requesting - nay, demanding in the strongest terms - that this boring thread be closed now
    Quote Originally Posted by tsh View Post
    The forum has an 'ignore list' which makes avoiding some of the tedium easier.
    I'm well aware of it, and one of the useful things about the thread now closed was that it helped me decide on some changes to my own.

I think this thread could do with a button to close it before it starts to become too personal after all we know djb is a sensative sort be nice to him people

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Franck View Post
    There is no 'conspiracy why'.
    I don't think anyone is suggesting there is*! Anyway, I'm definitely not!

My point is simple (as am I ), but I'll make it again, just so that you realise there's no hidden agenda.

You already have a feature that is far more sophisticated than in most other forums. I've always been impressed at how enlightened it is. It has the advantage of allowing folks to vent off steam, whilst removing those threads that have descended beyond hope of redemption into a separate area where they eventually wither & die.
    And they do. It works.

By simply closing a thread you lose the ability for venting. Frustrations will appear elsewhere on the forum where they are more visible to all (for example, this particular closed thread quickly spawned 3 new threads - 2 of which formed this very thread). Ironically, that thread seemed to be in its deaththrows anyway, so closing it has probably added to its lifespan.

It just seems odd to me that you'd take such a backwards step.

*unless I'm missing something**!

** like a conspiracy?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post

Personally, I'd rather decide what threads are boring for myself, rather than let the mods decide it for me. That's what I already do with most of the "Who's going where this weekend?" and various games threads. And I'm sure lots of (most?) folk do likewise with their own particular bête noire threads.
    I had stopped reading most of it but it was getting on my nerves coming up in my unread threads so just occasionally dipped in and at the then instantly regretted it, you would have thought I’d learnt but I did it a couple of times

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post

although i was making jokes in it, I'd actually stopped reading it yesterday. Why would you be bothered about the "end of the thread"? just stop reading it
    I tried but I am weak

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    I think this thread could do with a button to close it before it starts to become too personal after all we know djb is a sensative sort be nice to him people

better still

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    I think this thread could do with a button to close it before it starts

Thread Information