Thread: Relocation! Matlock - Local Dance Venues?

Relocation! Matlock - Local Dance Venues?

Greetings all from my new home up here in The Dales Now the search is on for some new (to me) dance venues. From the modernjive listings I've found a few I'll try, I was at the Ceroc UK Derby (RR Pavilion) venue last night to try and get back into things.

Any advice from the locals? What is a must do and what is best left? What about freestyles? Any regular freestyles that are worth attending?

This is all quite a change for me but I'm loving it, I've come up here knowing nobody with no family or anything like that in the area, and I'm determined to carry on with the dancing. Chesterfield, Derby, Sheffield and Nottingham are all reachable well within an hours drive. For a special occasion I'd travel further, Leeds, Manchester, Stoke-On_Trent are all doable.

Recommendations please!

Cool Re: Relocation! Matlock - Local Dance Venues?

These are obviously just my personal views.

There is nothing on in Stoke-on-Trent. There's the usual Ceroc type stuff on a little further North of Stoke. But it's pretty missable There is also a LeRoc night on in Alsager, but it is EVERYTHING that is bad about a night rolled into one handy event.

However Revolution Dance are quite close to you (they're Manchester way), and the dancers at their events are wonderful. We do find that the music can sometimes be a bit too Latin or a bit too 1940s. That may not be a bad thing for you if you like that swing/salsa type stuff. Although if you get in touch before a dance to ask about who the DJ is you can wait for a DJ Blueshoes event

There's a regular Ceroc night in Hyde (Manchester) that is friendly (but the water was £1:60 a pint last time we were there) There's an event run in Nottingham in the T.A. Centre that's worth a look if you're at a loose end - but it's not 'special trip' worthy. Beware of anything at The Marcus Garvey Ballroom - the place is a complete dive. Wipe your feet on the way out!!

Do not miss Derby UTOPIA (Marc Forster resident DJ (with Rachel on the decks from time to time too if you're lucky I believe))

A bit further North and you have the Blues/Lindy events that are run by the forum's very own Straycat.

Our personal favorite events are well outside the Stoke area as the dancing up in the Midlands is a little.... umm... probably best leave that sentence there.

On a final note Maja runs Ceroc Shrewsbury and her events are sublime. The tea dance is awesome. Be careful though as she is also a teacher at other events where she doesn't have executive control and the over all standard of the night reflects that.

Hope that helps a little

Cool Re: Relocation! Matlock - Local Dance Venues?

Sorry to add on in a clumsy way but my 15 minutes of editing time was up

There is a not to be missed Ceroc event on in Manchester on Saturday the 6th December. It looks like it will be a two room event with Marc Forster DJ'ing the blues room, and a 1am finish! We may try to fill a car for that one.

Re: Relocation! Matlock - Local Dance Venues?

Hi Keefy, lots of opportunites for great dancing in the Midlands in spite of Stokie's comments. You might not see many "Dance Gods" but you will certainly have a good time. I think that whilst you are finding your way around your local area you should keep an open mind.

I don't think that there are any venues that I would recommend you avoid as I don't know what you like but I have had some good nights in Rainworth (nr Mansfield) and all of the Nottingham venues (including Marcus Garvey).

If you are ever coming over this way for a freestyle pm me and I could introduce you to the ways of the "Midlands Dancer"

Jan

Thanks for the pointers so far folks. I tried the Chesterfield Alive4Jive last night, that's probably my closest venue and OK for an evening out. Not sure I'll venture up Manchester way just yet SB, that's over an hours drive, the Stockport area is about the closest.

I've heard a couple of good reports about the Nottingham Marcus Ballroom events, I'll just have to check them out for myself I guess I'll try the Rainworth venue on evening Jan, maybe even next week, I haven't worked out the local freestyles yet either!

Meanwhile... found a lovely ballroom class over in Bakewell, so that's going to become a regular Thursday evening

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Keefy View Post
    I've heard a couple of good reports about the Nottingham Marcus Ballroom events, I'll just have to check them out for myself I guess
    Marcus Garvey is a strange one, because the Monday class night is very often better than the weekend freestyles. So I do recommend you try a Monday night. (Although the venue definitely isn't the plushest!)

Having said that, it does look like they're making an effort for the next freestyle on 12 Dec (I believe Marc F is DJing) so it might be good.
    Love dance, will travel

Thread Information