Thread: What's your male/female ratio like?

What's your male/female ratio like?

When I first started dancing there was typically between around 3 - 15 more women than men at any given class. The last three weeks, there's been more men than women every time, - plus a guy I was chatting to yesterday was saying the same thing about the venues he attends.

What's the ratios like where you are? Have you seen them change over time?

Perhaps Ceroc is becoming very popular for men, seeing as it's one of the easiest dance forms to get into.

A girl I was chatting to the other day was telling me that she no longer bothers doing Salsa anymore, for the sole reason that there were literally no men at all attending the classes with which to dance with.

Re: What's your male/female ratio like?

Originally Posted by Phil_dB
    The last three weeks, there's been more men than women every time
    I have found that female numbers seem to drop away over the Xmas period, they tend to have other commitments office parties, shopping, Xmas preparations etc.
    However I also go to Tango and the teachers have been telling me that they are also facing the same problem about the reduced number of ladies lately, as well
    Originally Posted by Phil_dB
    A girl I was chatting to the other day was telling me that she no longer bothers doing Salsa anymore, for the sole reason that there were literally no men at all attending the classes with which to dance with
    The one exception to this does seem to be Salsa. Classes I attend generally have lots more women than men. Some local venues I have spoken to ladies about do not even get any men. I also noticed one venue locally that was advertising Salsa classes stating the men were £5 and ladies £10.

We still seem to be getting 10 to 20 ladies extra during the beginners class at Staines. I'm not sure if the ratio is similar for the intermediates though, since I'm in the beginners repeat/review/practice session most weeks.

I had heard recently, that a venue nearby was tipping the balance the other way - possibly Uxbridge?

Usually there's around 5-6 women over in most of the venue's i've been to. More recently the imbalance has been more extreme and some venues we've been finding we're having to move men on:

- Newer venue in Oxford there's always a couple more women than men in beginners, but usually 3+ more men than women in intermediates
    - Bicester & Chipping Norton usually way too many women
    - Central Oxford the last few times I've been there's been a woman slotted in every single gap in beginners (and that includes a couple of women being leaders), then it evens out a little bit more in intermediates
    - Kidlington is more mixed. Usually evens out with 1 or 2 over of either men/women depending on what else is on (ie late night shopping fewer women, football fewer men). However, there's been more men over the last few times I've been.

Similarly I found salsa was worse for getting men along - and that was particularly impacted by football matches, more so than ceroc.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    I have found that female numbers seem to drop away over the Xmas period, they tend to have other commitments office parties, shopping, Xmas preparations etc.
    I've noticed this in the past too.
    Love dance, will travel

There have been extra men on the last three occasions I went to the tango class I'm taking. On the other hand there have sometimes been extra women before, and it's a drop-in class, not a course, so it's a bit random.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_dB View Post
    A girl I was chatting to the other day was telling me that she no longer bothers doing Salsa anymore, for the sole reason that there were literally no men at all attending the classes with which to dance with.
    Interesting as apparently salsa here has virtually no women going to it compared to the amount of men who go. But someone mentioned to me that the oil industry here draws in a chunk of its workforce from Cuba so you probably have a fair amount of male folk who are comfortable salsa dancing who come to the city.

Well .... errr .... I think I'm mostly female.

Most be all that oestrogen in the water supply!!

What was the question again?? lol

I'm all man, but in touch with my feminine side - I'd say a ratio of about 80:20

...oh, in classes... erm... I'm seeing a trend of more men in the start of a class, but then balancing out and swinging the other way towards the end of the night.

I went to Northampton Saints a couple of weeks back and was very surprised to find that the numbers were pretty even. I had not been there for a while but the venue did have a reputation for having a particularly uneven balance - regularly at least 10 women over and sometimes a lot more. Cannot read too much into one night at one venue but maybe dancing is becoming just a little more "acceptable" as an activity for men (influence of Strictly etc.)

Rugby where I mostly go generally has a pretty even balance right through the year - it is rarely more than 3 women over for the classes and there are even times when men have to rotate. More ladies do sometimes arrive later for the free-style. Rugby may however be a little unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive View Post
    We still seem to be getting 10 to 20 ladies extra during the beginners class at Staines. I'm not sure if the ratio is similar for the intermediates though, since I'm in the beginners repeat/review/practice session most weeks.

I had heard recently, that a venue nearby was tipping the balance the other way - possibly Uxbridge?

And last night?....the balance was perhaps one of the best we've had for a long time at Staines, with an excess of just 8 at most (sometimes just 6) ladies for the beginners class - despite the class as a whole being up on numbers generally. Almost close to perfection

Thread Information