Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas present ideas?

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Christmas present ideas?

Thought it might save my feet and all that time hunting if we had a thread where people could put any good ideas for christmas presents. Have you ever bought or recieved something for a present that you were really chuffed with?
    My son has asked for a graphics tablet and Adobe Photoshop After seeing the price of the Photoshop I've told him 'Santa says No!'
    Any of you computer wizards got a suggestion for something cheaper that would do a similar job for him?

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Re: Christmas present ideas?

Photoshop Elements has heaps and heaps of great features - I use it all the time in preference to Photoshop. Think it only costs ~£60-£70

its not anything technical but for any friend/ auntie/ nephews etc it sounds like a totally crappy idea but socks!!, hoisery etc

you can get fantastic bright coloured tights in primark or peacocks (where i work hehe) for less than £3 or glitzy, patterned etc...

comfy over the knee socks, im obsessed with mine and they go with anything!

slippers, for the nan, kiddies etc

and for the men

you cant beat novelty or practical sports socks, come on boys you must always be needing a new pair of socks?

also im going to try to arrange a swap unwanted xmas pressies day at mine where all my friends bring presents they're not to keen on and we bid/buy them off other people.

Can't remember her name, but one of those TV psychologist has just written a book on Body Language - I am going to buy a couple of them for pressies.

Also, Robert Dyas are selling Digital keyrings for £9.99

I think the above are sensible priced chrissie pressies

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Mac View Post
    {snip}socks{/snip}
    You've got to be kidding......

Saying that, my mum actually always wants socks. But then she's a bit funny. Socks are good for stocking fillers, I suppose, but I'd have trouble finding much enthusiasm if someone gave me a pair of socks for Christmas.

Actually, I have received a couple of pairs of monkey patterned socks as presents from friends before, and been well chuffed, so I guess if it's a 'special' pair of socks, it's not such a bad idea after all!

PS - I have enough monkey socks, if anyone now got the bright idea of giving me more for christmas.....!

As for cool presents, nothing quite beats the goat my brother got for Christmas last year! It was of course one of these charity gifts to someone in Senegal (or something), and he got it because he said he didn't want anything, and couldn't we just give money to charity instead. My sister in law got a flock of chickens (well, someone in a poor country did, anyway!).

This year I'm just hoping that my mum (and everyone else) will stick to the new rule of not going crazy with present buying to each other. It makes me feel quite depressed, with the whole present buying madness, where we all spend more than we can really afford, and everyone ends up with things we don't really need (and often don't want). Last year I think my poor step-dad ended up with three or four scarves......

I'm going to give quite a few people home made gifts this year - there's a benefit to being an artist, after all! And my niece and nephew are getting a big box of lego to share, and boxes of crafty bits and pieces.

Personally I'd be happy with gift vouchers, particularly for book shops or for downloading music online!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Thought it might save my feet and all that time hunting if we had a thread where people could put any good ideas for christmas presents. Have you ever bought a present that you were really chuffed with?
    I bought barbs a dance lesson with Anton Du Beke
    she was over the moon with it as a pressy
    Didnt cost as much as photoshop either

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Can't remember her name, but one of those TV psychologist has just written a book on Body Language - I am going to buy a couple of them for pressies.
    Do you reckon the shopkeeper can tell if you're going to buy one, by the way you walk in?

Also, Robert Dyas are selling Digital keyrings for £9.99
    What's a digital keyring?

On the subject of socks, my ex-wife wanted me to buy her something to keep her chest warm - so I bought her a pair of ankle socks

I'm thinking of making a few things this year, now that I've learnt to cook. I make a particularly good spicey ketchup, so maybe something like that in a nice presentation jar?

P.S- Good thread Cruella
    Last edited by Gojive; 24th-November-2008 at 11:41 AM. Reason: I'm a dipstick!

I've bought my kids Guitar Hero World Tour for their Wii (£150.00 from Tesco's). It's pretty much the same as Rock Band, but you don't have to buy the software separately. Me and Gav were itching to give it a go this weekend while the kids were not around, but we resisted...have to wait til Christmas day and fight over it with the kids...I'm most looking forward to playing the drums and doing vocals.

I've also bought 2 dance mats and dance game for the Wii, so me and Trouble can have dance competitions (don't tell my daughter, she thinks it's for her)

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Any of you computer wizards got a suggestion for something cheaper that would do a similar job for him?
    http://www.gimp.org/ is fine, and has plug-ins for just about everything. I use it for the little graphical work i do (with my pressure sensitive tablet) and its great.

My son has asked for a graphics tablet and Adobe Photoshop After seeing the price of the Photoshop I've told him 'Santa says No!'
    What does he want to do with Photoshop? Graphic design or photo manipulation?

Some graphic tablets used to be supplied with Photoshop Elements, which would be a pretty good deal. Wacom are the market leaders; they have their Intuos professional range of tablets from £200 upwards; the Bamboo Fun and Bamboo One are in the £50 to £150 region but I have no idea if and what software is supplied.

If you follow this link you should find yourself looking at an eBay auction for Photoshop Elements 5 currently at £18. The current version of Elements is, I think, version 7.

This link is Adobe Creative Suite (which includes Photoshop) CS1 for about £80. The current version of Photoshop is CS4 (but it only came out last month).

If you look for graphics software on eBay you will find plenty of people selling recent-but-not current versions of Photoshop and Elements; make sure you get an unregistered copy so that your son can register it and, when he has sufficent funds, he can upgrade to the current version. (Take care not to inadvertently buy a training video or a CD-ROM of 'plug-ins'; eBay sellers sometimes appear to be attempting to trick people into thinking a £5 bunch of Photoshop add-ons is actually Photoshop itself.)

I personally find GIMP impossible to use but the last time I tried it was a couple of years ago: it will have improved since then.

Alternatives to Photoshop are Corel Photo-Paint (now available as Corel Graphics Suite, IIRC) and Serif Photo Plus, which is intended to be full featured software but sold at budget prices because they only sell direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    Actually, I have received a couple of pairs of monkey patterned socks as presents from friends before, and been well chuffed, so I guess if it's a 'special' pair of socks, it's not such a bad idea after all!
    yeah exactly! theres a pair of ideal socks out there for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Alternatives to Photoshop are Corel Photo-Paint (now available as Corel Graphics Suite, IIRC) and Serif Photo Plus, which is intended to be full featured software but sold at budget prices because they only sell direct.
    personally I would look at Corel Draw: DTP and photo manip. Does everything Adobe products do (some things better) and is much more "novice" friendly (and *much* more bang for buck).
    On any software you don't need the latest version - go down a version and it will probably be just as good and half the price.

If you have a tablet, the best "natural medium" package is Corel Painter. But there are free things and web sites/plugins like http://neondragonart.com/oekaki where you can draw and share on-line. (deviantart.com is also a good showcase with some cool tutorials)
    Last edited by Gadget; 24th-November-2008 at 02:12 PM.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Hey, I like GIMP. Its free and has great free tutorials and great free plug-ins. Its also great with a tablet. Its great. Oh...and free But if you want to spend money for no reason, feel free

I've posted this link before, but I'll do it again.

http://www.presentsformen.co.uk

....its one of those "Innovations" type online shops but some of their stuff is actually very useful, like the roll up cotton mattress that's far more comfy than an air bed, and the electronic breath alchohol detection device that will tell you if you're over the limit to drive.

I used it for stocking fillers last year, its great for gadgets etc, or for people who you don't know what to get!

Magazine subscriptions are also a great idea, a year-long pressie!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I've also bought 2 dance mats and dance game for the Wii, so me and Trouble can have dance competitions (don't tell my daughter, she thinks it's for her)
    rubs hands together and the thought of wiping the floor with sis.

Blog Entries

My 16 yr old has been the biggest problem until he mentioned he would love a big canvas for his bedroom wall. So i ordered one. £110 from Ebay. Im cool and my tastes are cool so he is bound to love it and if not.. you will see if for sale back on Ebay on the 1st Jan 2009. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    My 16 yr old has been the biggest problem until he mentioned he would love a big canvas for his bedroom wall. So i ordered one. £110 from Ebay. Im cool and my tastes are cool so he is bound to love it and if not.. you will see if for sale back on Ebay on the 1st Jan 2009. LOL
    Sounds cool

My daughter has hinted she wants a wii, was tempted by the potty joke but managed to refrain. The hints came on friday but have only just registered today, to all the wii experts out there any hints on what I should be looking for or is there only one kind.

Ruby the Luddite
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    rubs hands together and the thought of wiping the floor with sis.
    Most people would use a mop and bucket

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    Sounds cool

My daughter has hinted she wants a wii, was tempted by the potty joke but managed to refrain. The hints came on friday but have only just registered today, to all the wii experts out there any hints on what I should be looking for or is there only one kind.

Ruby the Luddite
    Get a loan baby. They are not cheap but are cheaper than they were last year. There is only one Wii which normally comes with Wii sports. That present on its own with maybe an additional controller would be a good start.
    xx

My most exciting present so far that I've bought this year has been an eco-button for my mum (fear not, this is her fun present).

Sounds boring and strange but for anyone who's a bit eco-friendly/tight with the cash/wanting to save money it's quite fun. Basically, you usb it into your pc when you leave the room and if you've not already done so it switches the pc to standby mode, then tells you how much money you've saved.

Think it was from www.Firebox.com, or www.iwantoneofthose.com - the best fun/gadgety websites I've found.

Thread Information