Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Environmentally Friendly Weekenders !

The Dashing Moderator

Re: Environmentally Friendly Weekenders !

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    The ones at Bliss were connected to the mains taps.
    Same at Breeze (although there was a bit of a pool in the Blues Room at one point when this system started to leak...)
    Love dance, will travel

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I tend to refill my own bottle rather than use the cups. Have had some funny looks when doing that, as if somehow that's not allowed! Each time I've explained that its to be more environmentally friendly than using lots of plastic cups.
    Thats an idea. Instead of Cards, Mugs or sewing kits, How about water bottles as the next weekender Ceroc branded freebie?

While I'm on a crusade....

Fans feel nice when you stand in front of them, but unless they're bringing in new air, they're actually heating the room up and using lots of electricity in doing it. Venues should keep their doors open and have openable roofs.

Local residents might have something to say about that

Thats an idea. Instead of Cards, Mugs or sewing kits, How about water bottles as the next weekender Ceroc branded freebie?
    Brilliant idea. Also how about placing inside the water bottle a copy of the directions for getting back to the motorway from the venue. That would have been very handy for me after the last weekender when I got lost and probably added on an extra 60 enronmentally unfriendly miles.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in Notts View Post
    Brilliant idea. Also how about placing inside the water bottle a copy of the directions for getting back to the motorway from the venue. That would have been very handy for me after the last weekender when I got lost and probably added on an extra 60 enronmentally unfriendly miles.

Been there done that and worn that t shirt. (getting lost i mean from a weekender)..... and worringly, thats with a satnav. LOL

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    Can’t agree with this one I’m afraid as (selfishly admittedly):

1. for those of us who live in London have no choice but to travel as there no holiday camps locally
    We're in the middle of no-mans-land, here in London!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Although we live near Camber we have to travel to every venue we wish to dance at, all ceroc classes and freestyles are a minimun of 45 mins away. (bit quicker with Lee driving !) We always try and invite local dancers so that we can car share.

I understand that having extra places for local women could be unfair to dancers who are more central, but just felt really sorry for this one particular lady who lives in our road and has been unable to attend Ceroc Camber since it started.

Instead she will be trecking 300 miles to Southport !

But you were so proud of your sewing kit

Quote Originally Posted by Laughalot Bear View Post
    I understand that having extra places for local women could be unfair to dancers who are more central, but just felt really sorry for this one particular lady who lives in our road and has been unable to attend Ceroc Camber since it started.

Instead she will be trecking 300 miles to Southport !
    I don't quite get this.

1 Female single person chalets are usually available for a while, and are still available for the next Ceroc Camber at least 3 weeks after booking has opened.

With Ceroc Southport (CerocPort) the booking isn't any different than for Camber, and the events are only separated by a little over a month.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post

With Ceroc Southport (CerocPort) the booking isn't any different than for Camber, and the events are only separated by a little over a month.
    I think she meant Skegness

The Dashing Moderator

I don't quite get this.

1 Female single person chalets are usually available for a while, and are still available for the next Ceroc Camber at least 3 weeks after booking has opened.
    Well the cheap Share-with-a-stranger places always seem to be sold out for women - I've never seen these available. There are more expensive single female spaces available at twice the price though, and I guess if you include travel costs it may still be cheaper to take one of these than to travel for hundreds of miles.
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Well the cheap Share-with-a-stranger places always seem to be sold out for women - I've never seen these available. There are more expensive single female spaces available at twice the price though, and I guess if you include travel costs it may still be cheaper to take one of these than to travel for hundreds of miles.
    These were available for early Ceroc weekenders, but it seems fairly evident that ladies single and sharing places are heavily restricted, and probably only sold in nominal numbers.

It does make an awful lot of sense for Ceroc to do this.

Having a single and sharing option for both sexes probably increasingly had an adverse effect on early booking gender balancing (and though that on overall numbers booking).

Ladies could take the one way bet of booking immediately (the place could always be easily sold - no need to co-ordinate a group), less need to co-opt men.

Men on the other hand could wait longer to book as it was no longer necessary to co-ordinate.

However once you start to restrict ladies single and sharing places, the option starts to make a significant positive contribution to achieving gender balancing.

Ceroc could use other tools such as charging different prices by gender, but understandably have avoided that.

Although we live near Camber we have to travel to every venue we wish to dance at, all ceroc classes and freestyles are a minimun of 45 mins away. (bit quicker with Lee driving !)
    Like's advanced driving does he?

Quote Originally Posted by FirstMove View Post

Also, just how many plastic cups get used? I personally get through loads,

Quote Originally Posted by FirstMove View Post
    being environmentally friendly requires a certain amout of self-flagellation.
    Time to flagellate yourself, you get through many plastic cups, but could do what Lynn suggests below...

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I tend to refill my own bottle rather than use the cups.
    and then

felt really sorry for this one particular lady who lives in our road and has been unable to attend Ceroc Camber since it started.

So there you have it... She simply needs to book early.

In summary, your friend is not well organised, did not contact the event organisers in advance and check dates of bookings, missed out and now... Let's blame someone ...

Organisers listen to the punters, try to do the right thing. Someone did not get what they want so sad, deal with it, and get it right next time.

It is making me a bit cross, that you blame organisers for not being environmentally friendly, but are unwilling to see, it is not them, it is about the person booking up.

Thread Information